Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2021, 04:48 PM   #1

Toyota 4 down

I read somewhere that the new Toyota Rav 4 can be towed 4 down Any one know anything?
bandit2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2021, 05:09 PM   #2

following
Old 11-11-2021, 05:17 PM   #3

I could be wrong, but to the best of my knowledge, no current Toyota's are towable.
Ed Headington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 05:23 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Only Toyota truck or SUVs that are flat towable are:
2004 Tacoma 4WD with manual transmission
Newer 4Runners with Trail option

These have manual transfer cases with a neutral position.

Regards, Jerry
Old 11-11-2021, 09:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryP View Post
Only Toyota truck or SUVs that are flat towable are:
2004 Tacoma 4WD with manual transmission
Newer 4Runners with Trail option

These have manual transfer cases with a neutral position.

Regards, Jerry

Correct, the ONLY automatic transmission Toyota"s that can be towed 4down as-is are models with a manual shift transfer case WITH A NEUTRAL POSITION, no matter how old or new.
Old 11-12-2021, 07:59 AM   #6

Actually, a few selected models with automatic transmissions, including 2001 RAV4, are flat towable, according to this table from Toyota:

Is it possible to tow my Toyota with all four wheels on the ground?

In such cases, there are speed and distance limitations to be followed, though.
Old 11-12-2021, 09:23 AM   #7

Toyota 4 down

I see nothing on the Toyota website that indicates the 4Runner as being flat towable, am I missing something? Of course it’s nearly impossible to get a clear answer from their site.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 10:40 AM   #8

go to the remco towing website. they will give you the info you need.
Old 11-12-2021, 11:10 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Toyota SUV or pickup flat towable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman View Post
I see nothing on the Toyota website that indicates the 4Runner as being flat towable, am I missing something? Of course it’s nearly impossible to get a clear answer from their site.
Toyota will never certify that their SUVs or pickups are flat towable. Remco used to list which ones were towable, but got out of the market and removed their compatibility list from the internet.

I have seen several real world opinions that the 4Runner TRD Pro is flat towable with the manual transfer case. If you have a Toyota warranty and flat tow, most likely they will deny any coverage to driveline damage. Everyone should do their own research and make the decision to do it or not.

I have a little more information on the 2004 Toyota Tacoma 4WD with manual transmission and transfer case. This is what I have flat towed for over 30K miles (maybe more). I have talked to several Tacoma owners, mechanics and transmission engineers that say it's fine to flat tow. Remco's list used to include my model with no restrictions. A Toyota service manager or lawyer will most likely say don't do it.

Newer Toyotas with an electrically controlled transfer case should not be flat towed unless you install a driveline disconnect.

Regards, Jerry
Old 11-12-2021, 12:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by uchu View Post
Actually, a few selected models with automatic transmissions, including 2001 RAV4, are flat towable, according to this table from Toyota:

Is it possible to tow my Toyota with all four wheels on the ground?

In such cases, there are speed and distance limitations to be followed, though.

Yes, certain 2001 Toyota models with the Asian Warner AE86 style automatic transmission were towable 4 down as-is. This was a screw-up from Asian Warner as they supplied the incorrect specification gearboxes for that one model year only.
A word of caution about these 2001 models, if the vehicle has ever had the transmission replaced it will not be towable since the replacement transmissions were the correct specification AE84 models which are not 4 down towable.

Also your list is incorrect when referencing the 4Runner. Since 2010 the 4Runner with automatic transmission AND manual shift transfer case has been 4 down towable as-is. As to warranty issues, Toyota does not approve dingy towing ANY of their vehicles. Do so at your own risk.
Old 11-12-2021, 02:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwanna2016 View Post
Not available anymore.
Old 11-13-2021, 11:24 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwanna2016 View Post
Remco got out of the towing business and towing information is no longer available.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 08:39 AM   #13

I don't know why people say Toyota does not allow dinghy towing any of their vehicles, we have a 2007 Toyota Yaris with manual transmission and it says right in the owners manual that flat towing is allowed, the Yaris was offered with flat towable manual transmissions until about 2 years ago.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 08:04 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Toyota has always been really strict about what an be towed. There are thousands of Tacomas out there that would make nice toads. I think Toyota has missed an opportunity to certify their vehicles as towable. I know many that tow Toyotas regardless of what Toyota says and have no issues.

Sales of towable vehicles is just a blip on the sales sheet of any manufacturer, but I would think they would want to garnish every corner of the market. Especially, older RVer's with money.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote