Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-16-2018, 05:24 PM   #1

Toyota FJ Cruiser as a Toad updated 1/18

There are some old threads from 2013 re: using an FJ as a Toad. Some members responded saying they had been doing it with no issues for thousands of miles and a few just had the axle disconnect procedure done in 2013. One in Dallas and one in Phoenix.(see thread title: Fj as a toad)

5 years after the last post in that thread, please tell us how it's all worked out. Still no issues? Happy that you did it? Please share and thank you

I tried to post this question in that old thread but got a reply that I could not post due to the age of the original thread so i guess I have to start a new one.
TWH99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2018, 07:12 AM   #2

You might be able to go to the old thread and PM the users who posted and get a better response. Don't know if that will work but it's something to try.
Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:29 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Can't help with the question but wanted to say hello! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:39 AM   #4

I have been towing my 2012 FJ cruiser automatic for 9 months with zero issues, i live in KY and it has been towed to Yellowstone, Spartan factory in MI, South Carolina, Florida and a trip to Asheville, NC.

Hope this helps,

Regis
Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:06 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think Toyota is missing a market segment by telling people their Tacoma's and FJ's aren't towable. In the past, I had heard that Toyota didn't feel their front ends would support being towed. The FJ sure would make a nice toad.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 04:16 PM   #6

I had a Drive Shaft Coupling installed in 2011 on my 4Runner and I can say that I did not have any problems whatsoever. The 4Runner has been an excellent toad.

Gaetan
Old 10-16-2019, 01:51 PM   #7

Regis, I am looking to Flat Tow my 2012 FJ Cruiser. Can you tell me what position you put the transfer case in and transmission. Also, did you install a drive shaft disconnect or install an oil pump on the transmission? Thank you! You can send me a direct email message at geartyp@gmail.com.
RduRver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 04:33 PM   #8

If you go for the Remco Drive Shaft Coupling (DSC) and you activate it to disengage the rear drive shaft, you leave the transfer case in 2H and the transmission in park.

Never had any problems with the DSC as long as you first put the transmission in neutral and the engine off before you try to disengage the DSC. Otherwise you may find it difficult to pull on the cable activating the DSC. I have been applying some spray silicone twice a year on the gears and check the parts of DSC for smooth operation. It never went out of adjustments in eight years and over 80,000 miles.

Gaetan
Old 10-17-2019, 08:05 AM   #9

I sold my 2008 FJ/auto last month and bought a Wrangler for a toad. I loved the FJ but everything I could find said not to flat tow them, particularly the auto version. Apparently some people are towing them without problems but it would have been my luck to be halfway across the country and have something go sideways.

I only have a 25' class C so the FJ would have been pushing the weight limit for towing anyway. The Wrangler is all rigged up and tows like a dream behind my rig, at least on the test run last week. I miss my FJ but the Wrangler is growing on me. The Commander in Chief likes the Wrangler better as she said the FJ was too big for her to drive.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSkip View Post
I sold my 2008 FJ/auto last month and bought a Wrangler for a toad. I loved the FJ but everything I could find said not to flat tow them, particularly the auto version. Apparently some people are towing them without problems but it would have been my luck to be halfway across the country and have something go sideways.

I only have a 25' class C so the FJ would have been pushing the weight limit for towing anyway. The Wrangler is all rigged up and tows like a dream behind my rig, at least on the test run last week. I miss my FJ but the Wrangler is growing on me. The Commander in Chief likes the Wrangler better as she said the FJ was too big for her to drive.
Well,
If the CEO likes and prefers the Wrangler, well, you know what the old saying is; "happy wife...Ö."
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad