Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2012, 10:33 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to BlauMax
Toyota Tacoma

Bad news.. just sold my Jeep Grand Cherokee which would have been excellent as a toad. Couldn't justify having it in my "fleet".

I've purchased a new Toyota Tacoma which I'm considering towing behind our MH. I know it can't be towed 4 down (unless I disconnect the drive line.. read royal pain).

I do have a Master Tow dolly that I recently purchased to tow either our Honda Civic or the Tacoma. Right now, I'm leaning toward the Tacoma.

So, the questions revolve around the two vehicles. The Civic is lighter and I can drive straight up on it.. front wheel drive. Should work fine.

Tacoma is rear wheel drive.. back up on it, lock the wheels in place.. apply the emergency brakes and then??????

Never towed a vehicle with just the front wheels down. Do you suggest keeping the steering wheel in Lock or Acc? If Acc, should I bungie cord the steering wheel to keep the toad from "crabbing"?

Years ago, as a teenager, when towing a disabled vehicle home I think I remember tying a rope between the steering wheel and the window to keep it in line.. if no one was help steering in the disabled car.

Talked to Toyota and the manual does not suggest towing the P/U unless the front wheels are on a dolly themselves.. ie, NO wheels down. The tech said this is Toyota's way of Covering their A$$ after the bug issue with brakes they had a year or so ago. Therefore, they wouldn't give any recommendations.

Ideas?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2012, 09:46 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Check with Remco towing to see if you can install a driveshaft disconnect. We have one on our 04 Tundra that has worked well for over 8 years. I did tow a Chevy Tracker on a dolly rear wheels up a couple times. I tied off the steering wheel to the underside of the seat. It allowed the wheel to move a little without allowing it to crab. If you can, 4 down with a disconnect is a lot more comfortable. I also put in an Air Force One brake which really helps with the weight of the pickup, particularly with the motorcycle loaded in the bed. We just got back from a 10 day trip up the Oregon coast. It all worked great.
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:59 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You didn't say which transmission, I have towed my 2002,Tacoma

a stick 4X4 through 4 sets of tires without, knock wood, trouble. As stated go to Remco, they don't just spout the manufactuers answers.

Don
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:08 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Grimesy, Key words 4x4. me thinks. we have a 2 wheel drive 5 speed no tow.

Mike
Old 06-26-2012, 12:29 AM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
Dump the Toyota....tow dolly style sucks.You will find out in a hurry.
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:00 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I bought a Nissan Frontier (same issues as Toyota) and installed the Remco driveshaft disconnect. The true cost is about $1100.00 dolars after truing the driveshaft. It worked well and was easy to operate. Just before each trip I washed the truck, sprayed the disconnect system with 409 from the wheel well and rinsed everything off. I then sprayed the disconnect system with WD-40, from the wheel wells, and never had an issue.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rem co Towing,, Install a drive shaft disconnect,, You pull a lever inside the cab and it disconnects the thing.. For quite some time I have been of the opinion that the disconnect is nothing more than a spline clutch,, Finally saw one on display.. That's exactly what it is.

Though they do sometimes fail.. It is usually due to poor installation.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:24 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I have a Toyota 4 Runner 2 wheel drive. It is my understanding that a 4Runner and a Tundra are built on the same chasis.

Anyway, I tow my 4Runner 4 down with a Remco driveshaft disconnect. After 5,000 miles no problems and I don't even know it is back there
Old 07-01-2012, 06:21 PM   #9

Looks like Remco sold the business and the partner business is out of parts until further notice. Wondering if they had a lot of problems or safety lawsuits or ?? Why quit making such a well recognized piece of equipment??
Old 07-01-2012, 07:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhite
Looks like Remco sold the business and the partner business is out of parts until further notice. Wondering if they had a lot of problems or safety lawsuits or ?? Why quit making such a well recognized piece of equipment??
Ramco appears to be focusing on manufacturing and marketing pumps. They are still in the transmission pump business and they bought the rights to build and market the Aquajet RV water pump from Aqua Tech.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:55 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
Isn't there a front tire wear problem when towing backwards with the rear wheels on the dolly? Thought I remember reading that in another post.

W8RLM - Bob
Old 03-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #12

Old post.. just getting back to it.

I'm not sure why there would be issues towing a vehicle backwards re tire wear. Any wear will just be in the opposite direction.

Anyhow, we have been towing our Honda Civic Hybrid on the dolly.. no issues. Only thing I need to do is to make sure I have the tire sensors hooked up in case of a flat. I've been lucky so far.

Regarding those who have suggested the clutch disconnect... I think that would be a great idea.. Issue is.. getting one installed. The guy in Texas or ?? has been good about calling me back until I told him I went with a dolly. I have NO idea where I could get it installed. I'm sure any driveline outfit could do it.. but, it would likely be their first install.. maybe not so good.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:27 PM   #13

Clutch disconnect? Hmm, not sure about that.

Pertaining to the drive shaft, I would think most Camping World shops have done a bunch of them and they were all Remco dealers.

Here are the dealers listed on the old Remco site near your area ...Healdsburg, CA?

Mike's Unlimited
777 South State St.
Ukiah California 95482
707-462-6111

Manteca Trailer & Camper
2060 East Yosemite Avenue
Manteca California 95336
209-239-1267

Amack's Recreation
1256 East Main Street
Woodland California 95776
877-662-9658

Allied Trailer Supply
1050 El Camino Real
Sacramento California 95815
916-922-3487

The Hitch House
1950 North Wilson Way
Stockton California 95205
209-465-5904

Ken's Paradise Hitch
919 Easy Street
Paradise California 95969
530-877-3907

If you contacted one of them, you'd sure think that they'd have an idea on what to do with your Tacoma to make it towable 4-down.

-harry

Tundra shown

amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote