Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-09-2022, 03:02 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 895
TPMS range question

I am not sure if this question belongs under Toads or under the Tech forum, but since it involves a toad I will post it here.

I just bought a new 2022 Jeep Wrangler to use as a toad. I am flat towing it with a Regency Ultra Brougham which is a B+/C on a Sprinter diesel chassis and thought it would be a good idea to put some sensors on the toad for when it is being towed. I expect I would remove them when the car is in general use.

I looked over several brands of TPMS systems and tentatively settled on the TireMinder trailer system since all I want to do is put the sensors on the toad, not on the RV. I may do that later, but I assume I can tell if a tire blows out on the RV while I am driving it. Not so on the toad when it is being towed. In any case TireMinder tells me that they suggest that I use a range extender due to interference from bluetooth and wireless signals all around us, but the batteries in the RV are under the entrance step and so almost as far from the sensors as I would be when driving. It is hard for me to see how putting an extender that far away from the tires being monitored would help.

So I thought I would ask if anyone on this forum is using TireMinder and if they think that the normal signal would be enough without the extender. The RV is 25 feet long, but probably about 20 feet from the driver seat to the rear. Add another 3 feet for the tow bar and 12 feet for the rear tires for a total of perhaps 35 feet. Based on the experience of those who have used one, is that too far for a TireMinder TPMS system to operate without an extender?
__________________
2020 Regency Ultra Brougham, Island Bed Model
2022 Jeep Wranger 2 door Sport S toad
Roadmaster baseplate and tow bar
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2022, 03:43 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Country Road's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Brenham, Texas
Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
I am not sure if this question belongs under Toads or under the Tech forum, but since it involves a toad I will post it here.

I just bought a new 2022 Jeep Wrangler to use as a toad. I am flat towing it with a Regency Ultra Brougham which is a B+/C on a Sprinter diesel chassis and thought it would be a good idea to put some sensors on the toad for when it is being towed. I expect I would remove them when the car is in general use.

I looked over several brands of TPMS systems and tentatively settled on the TireMinder trailer system since all I want to do is put the sensors on the toad, not on the RV. I may do that later, but I assume I can tell if a tire blows out on the RV while I am driving it. Not so on the toad when it is being towed. In any case TireMinder tells me that they suggest that I use a range extender due to interference from bluetooth and wireless signals all around us, but the batteries in the RV are under the entrance step and so almost as far from the sensors as I would be when driving. It is hard for me to see how putting an extender that far away from the tires being monitored would help.

So I thought I would ask if anyone on this forum is using TireMinder and if they think that the normal signal would be enough without the extender. The RV is 25 feet long, but probably about 20 feet from the driver seat to the rear. Add another 3 feet for the tow bar and 12 feet for the rear tires for a total of perhaps 35 feet. Based on the experience of those who have used one, is that too far for a TireMinder TPMS system to operate without an extender?
You probably will have to use the extender. On our TireMinder system, we were getting dropouts and I reckon some interference without it. Our coach start batteries are you in the rear so it works hooking it up there for us. It will work better than up front to create better range. You could splice in on any 12v source using an inline fuse.

You may want to put it under the hood of the Wrangler with clips. It wonít matter where you get the 12v source from.
__________________
Eddie and Jomaye, Retired
2018 Newmar Ventana 4369
2021 Jeep 4 dr Wrangler
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 03:58 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 787
AJMike --

I have the TireMinder system for my coach and Jeep Wrangler. My coach is 41 feet in length thus I use the "extender" for the TPMS monitors on the Jeep's wheels. I connect the extender to the Jeep battery and wedge the extender in the space between the engine air filter housing and the fuse box. The extender never moves from that space while traveling. I use the Roadmaster Invisibrake supplemental braking system for my Jeep. The Invisibrake system, when plugged into my coach, provides a trickle charge to the Jeep's battery which assures the batter doen't drain while connected to the coach.

I highly recommend placing TireMinder TPMS monitors on each wheel of your coach!! The purpose of TPMS systems is to provide an alert of a tire problem (losing air pressure, over heading, etc.) to get the coach into a staff location BEFORE a tire blow-out happens which could become a deadly incident.
__________________
Mike & Cindy in Katy, TX
2016 Newmar Ventana LE 4037
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 04:41 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Road View Post
You may want to put it under the hood of the Wrangler with clips. It wonít matter where you get the 12v source from.
That was one of the things I thought I might do if I needed the extender, and I guess from your response I will need it.

I don't know if they installed a power line to the Wrangler when the shop installed the baseplate and tow bar, so I am not sure there would be power to keep the battery charged while it was running the extender. I don't suppose it uses much power, but on a long multi-day trip I am not sure how much power I would lose. I guess I need to check with the shop to find out.

Thank you for the response.
__________________
2020 Regency Ultra Brougham, Island Bed Model
2022 Jeep Wranger 2 door Sport S toad
Roadmaster baseplate and tow bar
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 04:48 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by fagnaml View Post
AJMike --

I have the TireMinder system for my coach and Jeep Wrangler. My coach is 41 feet in length thus I use the "extender" for the TPMS monitors on the Jeep's wheels. I connect the extender to the Jeep battery and wedge the extender in the space between the engine air filter housing and the fuse box. The extender never moves from that space while traveling. I use the Roadmaster Invisibrake supplemental braking system for my Jeep. The Invisibrake system, when plugged into my coach, provides a trickle charge to the Jeep's battery which assures the batter doen't drain while connected to the coach.
I will check out that location in the Jeep engine compartment to see how that would work.

I had the shop install the Demco Stay-IN-Play for braking and I am not sure if they also included a charge line to keep the battery charged. The ignition switch in the Wrangler is OFF when I am towing so I don't know if there is any power to the battery, and I don't know how long it would take to run the battery down with it powering the extender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fagnaml View Post
I highly recommend placing TireMinder TPMS monitors on each wheel of your coach!! The purpose of TPMS systems is to provide an alert of a tire problem (losing air pressure, over heading, etc.) to get the coach into a staff location BEFORE a tire blow-out happens which could become a deadly incident.
I have been going back and forth about this. Part of me says to do the whole setup, all 10 tires (or 11 including the spare), and part of me says that all I need is the toad. I guess safety says do all, so perhaps I will just order the I10 model which does the whole thing, coach and toad.

My guess is that I should have metal valve stems installed on the coach if I am going to put sensors on those. I worry about the rear dullies as the inside tires probably have really long and vulnerable value stems.

Thank you for your information and suggestions.
__________________
2020 Regency Ultra Brougham, Island Bed Model
2022 Jeep Wranger 2 door Sport S toad
Roadmaster baseplate and tow bar
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 06:27 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
I will check out that location in the Jeep engine compartment to see how that would work.

I had the shop install the Demco Stay-IN-Play for braking and I am not sure if they also included a charge line to keep the battery charged. The ignition switch in the Wrangler is OFF when I am towing so I don't know if there is any power to the battery, and I don't know how long it would take to run the battery down with it powering the extender.



I have been going back and forth about this. Part of me says to do the whole setup, all 10 tires (or 11 including the spare), and part of me says that all I need is the toad. I guess safety says do all, so perhaps I will just order the I10 model which does the whole thing, coach and toad.

My guess is that I should have metal valve stems installed on the coach if I am going to put sensors on those. I worry about the rear dullies as the inside tires probably have really long and vulnerable value stems.

Thank you for your information and suggestions.
Your rubber valve stems are fine. The main thing is to get the right style transmitters depending on whether the threads on the valve stems are aluminum or brass.
__________________
Steve & Carrie
2019 London Aire 4576, Spartan K3, 605 Cummins
2022 Ranger Lariat Tremor Package
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 08:18 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
ArtJoyce's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Thornville, Ohio
Posts: 2,299
We bought a tire minder system in 2015. We never needed an extender. But if I did and had a fiberglass camper I would connect to the 7 pin trailer connector battery charge wire. Only because on my MH it has a battery isolation relay that its turned on with the ignition. Don't need it as a drain on the battery.

I would mount it somewhere in the rear of the camper. Maybe in the bedroom closet.
__________________
Art & Joyce
Thornville, OH
35' DP Endeavor being pushed by a Kia Soul
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 08:02 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Country Road's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Brenham, Texas
Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
That was one of the things I thought I might do if I needed the extender, and I guess from your response I will need it.

I don't know if they installed a power line to the Wrangler when the shop installed the baseplate and tow bar, so I am not sure there would be power to keep the battery charged while it was running the extender. I don't suppose it uses much power, but on a long multi-day trip I am not sure how much power I would lose. I guess I need to check with the shop to find out.

Thank you for the response.
I think you are correct in saying it doesnít use much power. It wonít drain your battery in a short time like that. You could test it by hooking it up to your Jeep and testing it prior.

On another note, I was annoyed with my TireMinder at first till I learned to use it. For example, sometimes an alarm would go off and I figured there was a problem. If an alarm goes off, check what temp that wheel is recording. The temp reading in a tire may read 32deg on a 100deg day and that makes the pressure reading look like a leak.

I love mine if for no other reason, I donít have to bump tires every time I leave out.
__________________
Eddie and Jomaye, Retired
2018 Newmar Ventana 4369
2021 Jeep 4 dr Wrangler
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 08:48 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWBGE View Post
Your rubber valve stems are fine. The main thing is to get the right style transmitters depending on whether the threads on the valve stems are aluminum or brass.
Could you elaborate on that please? What are the right style of transmitters for aluminum? And what are they for brass? I had no idea that it made any difference.
__________________
2020 Regency Ultra Brougham, Island Bed Model
2022 Jeep Wranger 2 door Sport S toad
Roadmaster baseplate and tow bar
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 08:58 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Country Road's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Brenham, Texas
Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
Could you elaborate on that please? What are the right style of transmitters for aluminum? And what are they for brass? I had no idea that it made any difference.
You may have an answer on this and maybe not. Most steel valve stems are partial brass and therefore you need a transmitter that has brass threads. Some rubber valve stems are aluminum and therefore you need a transmitter with aluminum threads.

Most of the time, brass is whatís needed. You donít want to mix the metals because of galvanic corrosion. Metals in stem and transmitter need to be similar.
__________________
Eddie and Jomaye, Retired
2018 Newmar Ventana 4369
2021 Jeep 4 dr Wrangler
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 05:58 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 182
It's not just an extender, it isolates the frequency from interference with other signals.

Call Tireminder about your plan, they will unequivocally tell you to install the booster.

I hope by now you're persuaded to monitor the coach tire pressures. Tireminder checks pressures every 6 seconds warning you of slow and fast leaks - get notified rather have a blowout without any chance of a warning.
ChrisDParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 09:09 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Road View Post
You may have an answer on this and maybe not. Most steel valve stems are partial brass and therefore you need a transmitter that has brass threads. Some rubber valve stems are aluminum and therefore you need a transmitter with aluminum threads.

Most of the time, brass is whatís needed. You donít want to mix the metals because of galvanic corrosion. Metals in stem and transmitter need to be similar.
Exactly.
__________________
Steve & Carrie
2019 London Aire 4576, Spartan K3, 605 Cummins
2022 Ranger Lariat Tremor Package
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 05:40 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 210
You will need the repeater. On mine the front sensors wont even be picked up by the monitor. Once the repeater is installed it picks up all 10 sesnsors.
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 06:38 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,161
An extender or repeater should be mounted away from the toad, but close to it, still within the sensor range, like the rear of your coach. We used a different brand, but pulled a Jeep toad and put the extender in a rear closet inside the coach. We easily read all ten sensors in the front of the coach.

With this setup I could read our toad when parked from over 50 feet away from the motorhome. BTW, we used the TST system. Their new color monitor greatly increased the range of the system.
__________________
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C, 2019 Jeep Cherokee Lattitude Plus toad, Demco tow bar, SMI braking system. 20 yr USAF ret.
georgelesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tpms



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TPMS - TOAD OEM TPMS vs RV TPMS - Integrate swduns Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 11 11-22-2021 08:00 AM
Open Range :: 2011 Open Range Dan Almashy iRV2 Owners Registry 0 11-12-2016 08:39 PM
Load range F vs. Load range G Txcirclem Class A Motorhome Discussions 18 06-17-2013 04:03 AM
Load Range D vs Load Range E royjeri 5th Wheel Discussion 29 07-29-2011 04:30 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.