Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2021, 05:54 AM   #1

TPMS - TOAD OEM TPMS vs RV TPMS - Integrate

2008 Tiffin Phaeton DP 40’ & TST RV TPMS
Upgrading from 2002 Toad to 2019 Toad
2002 didn’t have factory TPMS
2019 Chevy Equinox has factory TPMS
This has to be an issue thoroughly explored
But I can’t find much discussion on it
I must be using wrong search terms
I found an old article saying RV TPMS sensors threads can galvanically destroy TOAD OEM valve stem aluminum threads. I hope that problem has been solved.
There must be some way to integrate factory toad TPMS sensors to RV display
Can anyone catch me up on the bottom line?
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2021, 06:55 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is no way that I know of at present to read a toad's OEM TPMS pressures on aftermarket RV TPMS systems. Possibly as RV's add OEM TPMS system solutions, there may be an avenue made available to link systems to display in the RV, although I did just recently see a sign on the rear of a car in-tow saying "Please be patient, I'm pushing this land yacht as fast as I can.". In that case, I suppose you'd want to read the RV's pressures in the toad.

As for the galvanic interaction between TPMS sensors and auto valve stems, that warning is associated with installing, and not removing your aftermarket RV TPMS sensors.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 08:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swduns View Post
found an old article saying RV TPMS sensors threads can galvanically destroy TOAD OEM valve stem aluminum threads. I hope that problem has been solved.
Many cars have aluminum valve stems. Some TPMS systems make aluminum (instead of brass) sensors for use on those stems. I use a pair of these with my TireMinder on my toad (Prius). If you don't leave the sensors on for very long it's not likely to be an issue.
Old 11-21-2021, 08:45 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
While I understand the desire to constantly monitor toad tire pressure, are blowouts very common on them? I’m basing this on over 40 years since a blowout on a passenger or truck tire.
Old 11-21-2021, 10:57 AM   #5

I installed this on our Forester toad and it works great, sitting on the dash of the RV.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
ptronus31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 11:25 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
It is unlikely that there will be a way to link an auto TPMS system to an aftermarket TPMS system anytime in the near future. And before you say my (name your brand) motor home has a factory TPMS, it really does not. It has an aftermarket TPMS built to (name your brand) specification. Ford, GM, Fiat Chrysler Toyota, Nissan all have proprietary software for their sensors. You can’t just take a Ford sensor and put it on a Chevy. The only possibility of this is if Ford puts a TPMS system on an F53 chassis that is the same as their truck line, and you pull a Ford product as a Toad.

But in fact, most auto TPMS systems are even more specific than that. Ruin a wheel and sensor in an accident, the new ones must be brand specific AND you usually need to have the sensor calibrated by a brand specific dealer.

Also, unlike an aftermarket TPMS if you take a wheel off the car, the factory TPMS will not read that tire. Factory TPMS are quite different than the sensors we put on our RVs and change batteries in every year or so. Factory TPMS uses a process that understanding it is above my pay grade but a factory sensor will last years if undamaged. They use a completely different process to read the pressure.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 11:28 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbircky View Post
While I understand the desire to constantly monitor toad tire pressure, are blowouts very common on them? I’m basing this on over 40 years since a blowout on a passenger or truck tire.
More common than your experience has been. Your lucky. I meet up with about 30 of the same people every year for several months. I cannot remember a year when at least 2 of them did not buy at least one tire from a blowout on a truck, trailer, or toad on the 2000 mile plus journey.
Old 11-21-2021, 11:31 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptronus31 View Post
I installed this on our Forester toad and it works great, sitting on the dash of the RV.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Yes, but the question was “can you get the factory TPMS sensors on the TOAD to be read by the aftermarket TPMS)

If you did that a lot of us would like to know how.
Old 11-21-2021, 12:01 PM   #9

I have the EezTire system on my coach, tow dolly and toad. The toad has it's own OEM TPMS system which plays nice with the Eez system. When driving the toad we depend on its OEM system.
The coach has an Eez sensor on each tire numbered 1-6. The ACD tow dolly tires have Eez sensors on the tires numbered 7 & 8. The toad has Eez sensors on the rear tires only numbered 9 & 10. If I was towing 4 down the tow dolly sensors would go on the toad's front tires.
Even though the toad's rear tires are 60' aft of the receiver on the coach's dash it always receives all 10 sensors without a repeater in between.
[emoji40][emoji382][emoji382]... [emoji382][emoji40][emoji106]
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 02:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosnandy View Post
Yes, but the question was “can you get the factory TPMS sensors on the TOAD to be read by the aftermarket TPMS)

If you did that a lot of us would like to know how.
No, the kit comes with TPMS caps that you put on the toad, which work great.
ptronus31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 03:24 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbircky View Post
This happened a few years ago to our friend's Jeep. This could probably have been avoided if they had a TPMS.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JeepBlowout.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	349480  
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 08:00 AM   #12

I'm an electrical engineer that has spent my career in instrumentation and automation.

I'd never attempt to decipher the OEM TPMS system and figure out a hack to monitor it from my RV. I might be able to do it given enough time.

But my brother was a Ham operator and those guys live and breath challenges to hack into things and come up with ingenious solutions. They will literally spend every waking moment obsessed with something like this. When they achieve it they may or may not publicize it but will get obsessed with another challenge. I am blown away by their knowledge and abilities which far eclipses my abilities.

Sooner or later someone will do this ... I have not the slightest doubt. A aftermarket TPMS company will make a fortune when they are the first to market with a system that can read the toad TPMS.

IMHO
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, tpms