Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Trade in of tow vehicle. Leave base plate or replace with bumper?

So far I am getting highball prices and they are lowballing my trade.
But only two dealers so far. Checking on the internet they are over a grand what others are paying for the same unit.

One dealer used the excuse since I towed the car they would have to go over all the bearings and mechanics to make sure it was ok. Same dealer tried to hold my keys hostage during negotiations. They returned them as soon as they got me angry enough to let everyone know within a few mile radius.

Dealer two didn't have any problems with it towed and was a grand over the first on the trade value. Still too high on out the door.

What is everyone common practice in regards to trading in. Do you take off the base plate and replace with the old steel bumper/framework or do you leave the tow bar on and give back the bumper with the car?

Since I I might not get a price I like and might need to use it soon, I haven't just put it back to OEM with the bumper and removed the base plate. Otherwise I would do that and there would be no questions in regards pulling it behind a MH.

Up to this point I have sold private party. Last tow I sold with the base plate installed. I offered to remove it and return it to OEM, but the person that bought it had me leave it in place.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My thoughts on trade in's is to remove all tow accessories; i.e. base plate, brake system, hitch ball, etc. before selling as they may be re-used by you again, or sold separately to another RVer. As a general rule, owner installed ccessories do not increase re-sale value to a dealer.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
On my CRV I decided to not worry about the future. The bumper core may have had some used parts value so my FIL has some room to hold on to it but if he needs to get room in his garage back he can toss/salvage it as he sees fit.

I do not intend to put that core back on before I get rid of it. Perhaps I can sell it to another RVer with a need for a toad.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
On my CRV I decided to not worry about the future. The bumper core may have had some used parts value so my FIL has some room to hold on to it but if he needs to get room in his garage back he can toss/salvage it as he sees fit.

I do not intend to put that core back on before I get rid of it. Perhaps I can sell it to another RVer with a need for a toad.
Just traded my Taurus off on a CRV. Left all the tow gear on for the dealer to worry about. In my case I was not prepared to deal with the hassle of removing the BP etc due to timing. I know I did not get the trade value I might have but to me it was worth it.

Sky Boss, how long have you had your CRV? The choices of small SUVs that are towable are limited and the CRV seems to be one of the better ones. Sure gonna miss my 365hp Fun Car though.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:25 PM   #5

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post

Just traded my Taurus off on a CRV. Left all the tow gear on for the dealer to worry about.
Hey, on a Taurus, that may increase the value! Probably that was the only real quality part....

Lol
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
My thoughts on trade in's is to remove all tow accessories; i.e. base plate, brake system, hitch ball, etc. before selling as they may be re-used by you again, or sold separately to another RVer. As a general rule, owner installed ccessories do not increase re-sale value to a dealer.
I agree. Take all the stuff off and no questions asked. Then you can reuse or sell as required.
rumrunnerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
Hey, on a Taurus, that may increase the value! Probably that was the only real quality part....

Lol
The SHO is NOT your fathers Taurus. This thing will peel the skin back on your face when you punch it. 60,000 Miles and never gave a problem. Only reason for the trade was size. Needed a smaller vehicle.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Just traded my Taurus off on a CRV. Left all the tow gear on for the dealer to worry about. In my case I was not prepared to deal with the hassle of removing the BP etc due to timing. I know I did not get the trade value I might have but to me it was worth it.

Sky Boss, how long have you had your CRV? The choices of small SUVs that are towable are limited and the CRV seems to be one of the better ones. Sure gonna miss my 365hp Fun Car though.
I got my CRV the day after Christmas and started towing it in middle March. I agree about the hassle of getting the original bumper core on and, besides, the base plate is more stout than the original core anyway.

We decided on the CRV because we didn't see a need for a hard core 4WD like a jeep. It is big enough for our needs including hauling our GSDs around too. MPGs are reasonable too and being lighter weight can't hurt the MH MPGs either.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I love my 2010 CRV and if I can get the right price I would like to move to a new one.

Base plate from the 2010 won't fit on the 2013 which is why I would just as soon not have to replace it and deal with the hassle of putting the steel bumper core back in. I wasn't sure if it is affecting my trade in values.
What I don't want to do is take it off and go around to dealers only to find I can't get my price and then have to put it back on O_O

So most remove it before going to the dealer? or letting the dealer know you will change it out before bringing in the trade?
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:14 PM   #10

Traded my 2013 explorer with baseplate installed. If they want to sell you a car they won't care. I wouldn't accept less than I wanted, be ready to walk, someone will want your business. For me it wasn't worth the hassle of taking it off, as it wouldn't fit the new car.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:42 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcamper View Post
I love my 2010 CRV and if I can get the right price I would like to move to a new one.

Base plate from the 2010 won't fit on the 2013 which is why I would just as soon not have to replace it and deal with the hassle of putting the steel bumper core back in. I wasn't sure if it is affecting my trade in values.
What I don't want to do is take it off and go around to dealers only to find I can't get my price and then have to put it back on O_O

So most remove it before going to the dealer? or letting the dealer know you will change it out before bringing in the trade?
Have you tried the classified here on the forum? Folks are always looking for good used toads.

I sold my Saturn (as a toad with all equipt., in 2 days on Craigslist.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:06 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just traded in my '04 Trailblazer for an '11 Jeep Liberty 'cuz it's a bit lighter,gets a few mpg better (very few), and the TB was developing some major maintainence issues that were looking as if they were going to cost some major dollars. I had the dealer pull all the stuff off the TB and the only things that were usable weren't. The base plates will make someone a great anchor and it turned out the unified brake system that I had gotten used probably hadn't worked for quite awhile. Of course I didn't tell the dealer that I had almost 20K towing miles on it that didn't show on the odo. They did actually wholesale it out insidfe of a couple of days. I wound up getting the Liberty base plates installed and had to buy a Master brake as the unified was C**P.
My opinion is to just trade the durn thing in as is 'cuz the base plates aren't going to work on the new toad and there is too much liability in selling them to someone else to use.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #13

I guess I'm not up to speed. What type base-plate requires removing the bumper while it is installed? The Roadmaster base-plate kit for our Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited is difficult to see when the removable brackets are stored. Since the base-plate is vehicle specific it will stay where it is when sold.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:51 AM   #14

Take off all tow items and return it back to stock. I went to trade in my 06 Jeep and just left the baseplate on and got low ball offers. Went home and took it off and got a good trade in price at another dealer. Could have been just the dealers but I'd never trade in a towed vehicle with all the stuff still on it.

I looked at a 08 Jeep 4dr with 30,000 miles and it had a Blue ox baseplate on it. Dealer said one owner. 30,000 miles on the odometer and who knows how many miles being towed. No thanks.
jcgribks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace