Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2016, 08:21 AM   #1

Trailer or Flat Tow Questions

It is not about the money it is about pragmatics. I have a open car hauler trailer that has electric brakes. The trailer will haul my 2500 Avalanche or my 2006 Tacoma. My Avalanche cannot be flat towed but the Tacoma can. I was considering a purchase of a tow bar for the Tacoma.

Question is; Buy the tow bar and pull the Tacoma and use the trailer when I need the 2500 Avalanche or just use the trailer for both vehicles?

When responding consider the pragmatics of the situation one could encounter. If you use the trailer there are two items you have to deal with; vehicle and trailer. Is parking going to be issues? etc.

The other thing to consider is Tow Dolly. I have one of these too.

2007 Monaco Executive 525 Cummings DP. Stopping is not an issue.
BobGoPackGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2016, 08:29 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Parking that trailer is gonna be a problem, however, a trailer does allow you to back up where a flat towed vehicle does not. That trailer adds 1500 pounds to your load, you have to pull and stop that. 'Stopping is not an issue' -- usually, but if your electric brakes get taken out by a big gator you did not see until too late -- stopping is now an issue. A tow dolly is less to park, but you can't back. Ugh. I like flat towing and not backing, but that's just me. I've had to disconnect once is 8 years of motorhoming.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:26 AM   #3

A tow bar normally requires a braking system and installation of a base plate. I currently use a Roadmaster Even Brake. You can't backup a flat towed vehicle, other than perhaps a foot or two.

Other than the above flat towing is fairly simple, connect & disconnect, no need to find space to store a trailer or dolly. Less difficult to find rv space for the night and longer, many RV spaces even some of the pull-throughs aren't able to accommodate the length of a MH with trailer. I'd take a look at your overall length with trailer and then consider using a trailer. Depends partially on the type of travelling and where you're planning on parking.

Taking my toad along the ocean beaches and into the forest and wilderness hasn't presented any problems. Fairly easy to manoeuvrer and park in tight areas, etc.
user293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:34 AM   #4

Pragmatically you are already a big load to park. Probably want a pull through anyway. The trailer will give you the ability to do some maneuvering while the towbar won't.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 03:26 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Normally I'd recommend towing 4 Down. BUT.. In your case.... You have the trailer, it can tow either vehicle. So why spend money you do not need to spend?

Now. if some of the places you park give you heat over the trailer, or extra cost.. THEN I'd go with the tow bars.. But baring that.. Why spend money you don't need to spend?
Old 12-22-2016, 06:37 PM   #6
Community Moderator

since you said money is not the point of consideration, i would vote for flat tow. the ease of connect/disconnect for flat tow is worth the initial trouble. many rv parks do not have a space for your trailer, or they charge a fee for the space you put it away.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:49 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Everything considered, you can't beat flat towing. Quick hook ups. No additional weight. No hassle about storing a trailer or a dolly.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 04:16 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I have been using a trailer for the last 12 years and I also flat tow sometimes but the vehicles are different. When using the trailer I rarely have any issues with the trailer but I always plan ahead and reserve a pull through site long enough so I don't have to disconnect the trailer. When I flat tow I plan for exactly the same pull through site as both of my setups are the same length.
Do not assume that the trailer is significantly longer or will be a problem. The tow bar is slightly less to deal with but I rather use the trailer.
The cost for a complete tow bar setup with a proportional brake system can be as much as a new 7000lb trailer.
Unless the trailer is way longer than needed I would use it and not spend the money on the tow bar.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:15 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have used all methods, tow dolly, four down and enclosed trailer. I prefer enclosed trailer for many reasons. Four down is more convenient occasionally, specifically for getting coach serviced but it isn't worth the extra costs in my opinion for this convenience.

I have never had an issue parking my trailer (24' with 5' extended tongue) and I have never been charged extra for my trailer. You do need to plan ahead and you may be more limited but I have never been inconvenienced with my trailer, even staying in downtown communities like St Louis and Louisville.

I have purposely compared my loading unloading times against people with both tow dolly and 4 down, nothing significantly different. If your coach can handle the trailer weight I would weigh the pros and cons for yourself and do what is best for you. Good luck.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 08:23 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Parking that trailer is gonna be a problem, however, a trailer does allow you to back up where a flat towed vehicle does not. That trailer adds 1500 pounds to your load, you have to pull and stop that. 'Stopping is not an issue' -- usually, but if your electric brakes get taken out by a big gator you did not see until too late -- stopping is now an issue. A tow dolly is less to park, but you can't back. Ugh. I like flat towing and not backing, but that's just me. I've had to disconnect once is 8 years of motorhoming.
Just a thought, I have easily backed our car and tow dolly up on occasion with no problems for up to 200 ft. One time after backing a short distance the car was quickly turning. Simply pulled back up a little to straighten out and then backed again. Got us out of a blocked fuel pump area without unloading car.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:50 AM   #11

jeryann59
I also pull a 24' car trailer behind our coach and it works great for me...I'd rather burn up 4X$125 each trailer tires going down the road than flat towing my Jeep and burning up 4X$350 each 35" tires. And if I happen to "break" my Jeep, as long as I can drag it onto my trailer, I'm good to go!

But with our new slightly longer coach, my overall length with my open trailer is about 70'...with my longer enclosed trailer, my overall length would be about 76'. I've seen others on the road dragging long trailers but am concerned about various state combined length limits and am curious how you and others with long coaches pulling long trailers have gotten along as they travel around the US.
Thanks
Old 01-11-2017, 09:00 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Flat tow down, dollies and trailers are nothing but a PIA and take a lot of time unless you are going to be staying in one place for several months. remember you can't back up with 4 down. In 36 years of towing with 4 down, I have to admit I have had to disconnect my toad 3 times. Last time was about 10years ago.......

Takes me less than 5 mins to hook up my blue ox. Nice when you can tow a pickup, gives you the space to "bring home" that "exceptional" purchase.... Brakes, you shouldn't need them with the Tacoma, but you will need them with the avalanche. So, you should either equip the avalanche or your tow dolley or your carry trailer with them. When it comes to brakes I really like "Surge brakes" better than electric brakes, but I prefer briefs rather than boxers......
Old 01-11-2017, 01:44 PM   #13

why cant you tow the avy 4 down?? i have one and just wondering..
Old 01-12-2017, 07:52 AM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
I have been trailer towing for several years, since I have two vehicles that cannot be put 4 down. From my experience, here is what I have run into:

1. Regarding brake issues, I've lost brakes exactly once, and it was due to a bad ground, going back to the mid 1990's. Just check everything before you leave, and you should be fine. The biggest thing to remember regarding trailer brakes is that you need a good ground, that's where most people run into trouble. Now, what happened when I lost brakes? At the time I was in a Super C based on a Ford F550 chassis, and it did not have exhaust brakes. But I was able to stop just fine, it's not a huge deal as long as you stay cognizant that you will have to adjust how you apply your brakes. In my new rig, I have a very strong exhaust brake, so I would be even less worried today.

2. Get good trailer tires. Don't skimp. I run E load trailer tires even though my trailer's maximum capacity is 7,000 lbs. Also carry as many spares as you can, I have had trips where I lost two trailer tires on a Sunday, and since I carry two spares I was able to continue and deal with it on a Monday.

3. Plan ahead where you are camping. Make sure you can get a long drive-through spot, or ask the park about trailer parking. In all the years I've pulled trailer, I had a campground charge me for parking the trailer exactly once, and it was a special circumstance. They did not have trailer towing, but a nearby church allowed trailer parking for $20 per week. Well, I say they charged, it was actually voluntary, but he said most people pitch in $10 and I felt $20 was more than fair. But 90' pull-throughs are not uncommon, and a little planning will get you a long way.

I will ask if you are sure you are OK trailer towing your Avalanche. I believe those trucks are approaching 6,000 lbs, and with a 1500-2000 lb trailer with a 7,000 lb capacity (that's the typical car hauler capacity) you will be over. One quick way to tell is look at your wheels. If you have 5 lug wheels, you have two 3500 lb axles and your total maximum capacity will be 7,000 lbs. If you have 6 lug wheels, those are 5200 each and you are likely OK. 8 lug wheels means 7,000 lb axles. These are generalities here, so if possible refer to your trailer's plate, manual, or refer to the manufacturer for specifics.

Tags
tow