Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2020, 09:14 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Trailering a car and motorcycle

Hi, looking for advice on the layout/placement of a car (Scion xB or Jeep Wrangler) and full dresser Harley into a 8.5x20 enclosed trailer? I’m planning on using the e-track and tie down system for the car but trying to determine the placement of the motorcycle...up front or behind the car? Thoughts? Also any pictures of any similar setup is appreciated :-)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2021, 07:09 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersaab View Post
Hi, looking for advice on the layout/placement of a car (Scion xB or Jeep Wrangler) and full dresser Harley into a 8.5x20 enclosed trailer? I’m planning on using the e-track and tie down system for the car but trying to determine the placement of the motorcycle...up front or behind the car? Thoughts? Also any pictures of any similar setup is appreciated :-)
We also like having our Harley RG and a vehicle. It's not easy, and there are multiple ways to do this. Have you mocked this up on the ground ? The Harley needs almost 10 ft, so a 20 ft trailer will be close. If it's a V nose, that helps. We tried a Deck over Dolly trailer for a while, and it worked great, but I hated the small car and messing with the Dolly part. We finally opted to get a Rampage lift for our truck. I like being able to use back in RV spaces, which we couldn't use with the DOD or a long trailer.
Old 01-01-2021, 11:03 PM   #3

Quote:
cyber,
Well, I've done what you're thinking about, and, we've also used a Hydralift on the back of our coach and towed our Jeep. And each method has its plus's and minus's. Benefits and pitfalls. We loved the Hydralift and it worked absolutely flawless. But, for various reasons, we changed out game plan. We too opted for towing a 4WD pickup and, using a *Rampage* lift/carrier.

Now, this method would necessitate maybe you changing tow vehicles. But, it would solve your dilemma. At least in one way it would. And, loading or un loading your Harley is a piece of cake with a Rampage. It does all the work while you push a button. But, I won't go any further with this if you're set on getting your enclosed trailer. That method is by far, a good way to do it, based on it keeps everything safe, secure and much, much cleaner.

But, it's not without its ups and downs too. And of course, there's a weight issue too to consider.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 11:29 PM   #4

This sounds difficult to me. With a 20’ trailer, you won’t be able to adjust the vehicles much to get the proper weight distribution. Bike up front will likely leave you way tongue light, and car up front will leave you way tongue heavy. You might be able to get some adjustability by hauling the bike at an angle, and snugging the car up to it as much as possible.

There’s no great way to answer this without trying it. In OKC, we have a trailer dealer that also rents. I’d rent one, take it home, load it up, and weigh the tongue. You likely wouldn’t have a ton of selection if you went this route, and you couldn’t tie down and head to the scale. But it would tell you the tongue weight piece, which I think is the most valuable part.
Old 01-01-2021, 11:38 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I think bike up front would be fine if you could load it somewhat sideways, wheel turned. The bike weighs 850lbs, so that and putting the car in heavy end forward should address loading. Then go weigh it and see of course.

I’d be more concerned about the total weight of the trailer loaded and the effect it has on drivability. Sounds like you would be over 10,000lbs.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 06:29 AM   #6

I use a motorcycle dolly to move/store some of my lesser used bikes in my garage to take up less space . You could use one in the trailer to maneuver the bike in sideways. https://www.harborfreight.com/low-pr...YaAtk3EALw_wcB

Like others posted, I use a rampage to load my bike in my pickup
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 07:04 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all of the replies. I’ve also seen another member post the attached picture of their setup. I will try the various suggestions as well. Angling my Road Glide with the car up front or behind it and even maybe have the car backwards up front if the engine forward will be too heavy on the tongue.
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2021, 11:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for all of the replies. I’ve also seen another member post the attached picture of their setup. I will try the various suggestions as well. Angling my Road Glide with the car up front or behind it and even maybe have the car backwards up front if the engine forward will be too heavy on the tongue.
Do we have ANY idea of what your hitch is rated at in both tongue and tow weights?
Scott
Old 01-04-2021, 12:00 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Do we have ANY idea of what your hitch is rated at in both tongue and tow weights?
Scott
Hitch rating is 10000 lbs
Old 01-04-2021, 10:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Hitch rating is 10000 lbs
Roger that Sir, you should be able to do an enclosed with your toys and, while you'd be close, you should be within the limits of your hitch and coach. Good luck on your approach to this situation. As stated earlier, we've done the enclosed trailer (only with a motorcycle, no car), a Hydralift carrying our GL1800 Goldwing and towed our Jeep Rubicon, a 4WD truck with a Rampage carrying the Wing or our new bike, a Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT, and finally, I purchased a Versa Haul hitch carrier and modified it and the coach, to carry the Africa Twin AND tow the '15 Jeep JKUR.

This is all a matter of choice, your rig's capabilities, and your WALLET. Good luck.
Scott
Old 01-05-2021, 11:31 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Roger that Sir, you should be able to do an enclosed with your toys and, while you'd be close, you should be within the limits of your hitch and coach. Good luck on your approach to this situation. As stated earlier, we've done the enclosed trailer (only with a motorcycle, no car), a Hydralift carrying our GL1800 Goldwing and towed our Jeep Rubicon, a 4WD truck with a Rampage carrying the Wing or our new bike, a Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT, and finally, I purchased a Versa Haul hitch carrier and modified it and the coach, to carry the Africa Twin AND tow the '15 Jeep JKUR.

This is all a matter of choice, your rig's capabilities, and your WALLET. Good luck.
Scott
Thank you Fire Up....and that’s a nice collection you have there in your toy box
Old 01-06-2021, 02:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Thank you Fire Up....and that’s a nice collection you have there in your toy box
Roger that Sir,
Yep, no doubt about it, bringing along as many of your transportation toys as you can, within reason, sure helps with the fun while traveling and or staying in one area for a while. Of course, the easier you make your loading and un loading system, the more fun it is when you're out and about. For you, it might be really nice if, you picked an enclosed as your system and, could load your Harley in a side door, completely crossways, and, drive it out another door on the opposite side. I think I've only seen that one time in my travels. Backing down a big heavy bike backwards is always risky business.

I do it with the Africa Twin. But, I've developed some portable/removable scaffolding that I walk on, while loading and unloading that A/T onto it's Versa Hauler on the back of our coach. Waaaaaaay more safe doing it that way. To have a 540 lb. bike come toppling down on me 'cause I was lazy, ain't in the cards. Again, good luck on your endeavor.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3750.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	298.9 KB
ID:	313651   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3749.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	267.6 KB
ID:	313652  

Name:	IMG_3753.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	308.6 KB
ID:	313653  
Old 01-07-2021, 05:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Roger that Sir,
Yep, no doubt about it, bringing along as many of your transportation toys as you can, within reason, sure helps with the fun while traveling and or staying in one area for a while. Of course, the easier you make your loading and un loading system, the more fun it is when you're out and about. For you, it might be really nice if, you picked an enclosed as your system and, could load your Harley in a side door, completely crossways, and, drive it out another door on the opposite side. I think I've only seen that one time in my travels. Backing down a big heavy bike backwards is always risky business.

I do it with the Africa Twin. But, I've developed some portable/removable scaffolding that I walk on, while loading and unloading that A/T onto it's Versa Hauler on the back of our coach. Waaaaaaay more safe doing it that way. To have a 540 lb. bike come toppling down on me 'cause I was lazy, ain't in the cards. Again, good luck on your endeavor.
Scott
I have a 1250GS that I've been wanting to use the VersaHaul ramp with behind my motorhome but couldn't figure out a method of getting the bike on the ramp safely. The bike weighs about 560lbs. Do you power yours up on the ramp by easing the clutch and walking on the ramp next to the rail? Just curious. Thank you.
rhealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 03:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhealy View Post
I have a 1250GS that I've been wanting to use the VersaHaul ramp with behind my motorhome but couldn't figure out a method of getting the bike on the ramp safely. The bike weighs about 560lbs. Do you power yours up on the ramp by easing the clutch and walking on the ramp next to the rail? Just curious. Thank you.

Hey rhealy,
Well, There's a few things here. One, yes, the Versa Haul is capable of around 500 lbs. They have models that are capable of 600 lbs too. But, in all the searching on their website I've done, for the life of me, I cannot find any fabrication differences between a 500 lb capable unit and a 600 lb. capable unit. Who knows? Anyway, my '18 Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT weighs very close to 540 lbs. I didn't want to tax that Versa Haul to its limit and even beyond but, I wanted to use that Versa Haul.

Sooooo, I decided to augment the weight carrying capability. I simpy added two additional receivers, one on each side of the factory one. I attached each of these new receivers to the frame. I now have three receivers at the back end of the coach. I then installed the Versa Haul and, made my own hitch tightener, to cinch things up good and snug.

I then took 2"x2"x 3/16" wall tubing and, cut it to the correct length, bent it at the appropriate spots and angles and, inserted one into each of the additional receivers. Each one now supports the wheel tray of the Versa Haul. They don't lift it, just support it. Soooo, now, the Versa Haul is supporting 1/3rd of the weight of the A/T. The other 2/3rds are supported by the additional arms from the new receivers.

Ok, that takes care of supporting the weight of the A/T. Now, due to the fact that, that A/T weighs so much, and, it's quite a top-heavy bike, loading and unloading it, is a bit on the dangerous side. So, to cope with that, I purchased some 3/13" x 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" tubing that would fit right inside of the additional arms that I added for carrying part of the weight of the A/T. I cut those pieces to the appropriate length but, that was it. I welded some angles on each one.

I then purchased two ramps from Harbor Freight for $68 on sale. They are 9" wide by 72" long. The angles are welded onto the new 1 1/2" tubing to keep the one H/F ramp in place. The other ramp attaches to the end of the first one I placed on the two tubing pieces. Now, what I have is, the main ramp that the A/T rolls up and down on. And, I have my own ramp and scaffolding that I walk on, when I walk that A/T up and down its ramp.

The model of Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports bike I have is the *DCT* model. DCT, if you don't know, it stands for Dual Clutch Transmission. That bike is FULLY AUTOMATIC, NO CLUTCH AND SHIFTER! So, when it comes time to load it, I start the bike up and put it in gear, just like a car. I can now ever so gently, throttle the bike and it will WALK ITSELF right up the ramp, with no effort on my part. And I walk along side it, only stabilizing it from side to said which, while still is critical, at least I don't have balance the bike AND, do fancy clutch and throttle work at the same time.

THAT is where the NO CLUTCH part really comes into play. Once the bike it fully on the tray, the wife uses two tie downs on the front to basically secure it from falling. I then hop down from my "scaffolding" and do the rest of the securing. Once it's all tied down and secure, I lift the scaffolding off, and it's brother, the one I walked UP on, and place them in a compartment. I then retrieve the two 1 1/2" arms that the scaffolding sits on and place them in a compartment.

When it comes to off loading the bike, I place all that equipment back into position. I release all but the front two tie downs. I then hop up on the scaffolding and take hold of the bike while the CEO releases the two front tie downs. Now, with a firm grip on the front brake, (throttle hand), I start moving the bike backwards. The wife is now in the rear, ready to help stabilize if things start to go awry.

The bike glides slowly down the ramp, with my hand controlling the brakes and I walk right along side it. The first time I did both loading and un loading, I'll have to admit, it was a bit on the scary side. But, we've both done it so many times now, it's old hat. You can't get complacent though. You MUST pay STRICT attention, each and every time you load and un load a bike with that kind of weight. In the pics below, you'll see the additional arms that protrude from the additional receivers I installed. And, you'll see the H/F ramps I use for scaffolding.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3752.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	340.7 KB
ID:	313757   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3753.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	308.6 KB
ID:	313758  

Name:	IMG_3749.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	267.6 KB
ID:	313759  

Tags
motor, trailer