Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-02-2021, 08:44 AM   #1

Trailering a toad

Hi, does anyone do this? So many compact and sub-compact vehicles cannot be towed 4 down.
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2021, 08:51 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Yes, many do. It's much less convenient that flat-towing, but as you said, there are many more vehicles that cannot be towed 4-down that there are that can.

We trailered a CanAm spyder for several years (3 wheeler) before switching to a Jeep. Flat towing is just simpler. 10 minutes to hook up, 5 to unhook. Loading and unloading the Spyder was a 30+ minute process at least. And then there's what to do with the trailer if you don't have a pull-through spot.

Regards,

Randy
groswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 06:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherv View Post
Hi, does anyone do this? So many compact and sub-compact vehicles cannot be towed 4 down.

Yep , do it whenever we take the MG out if state to a vintage car rally . Want to keep the miles off of the running gear.
Don't need a pull-through site . A trailer can be easily backed up .

If we're going boondocking or to Moab , we tow the Samurai 4 down . Yes , it's quicker to hook-up and disconnect .
But it can't be backed up , so we need a pull-through site.

The fact is , the time difference for connecting and disconnecting either one is only a few minutes once one becomes familiar with the process.
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:19 PM   #4

I see people dolly towing far more often than I see people towing with 4 wheels on a trailer, though I have seen it, most often when I do see people towing on a trailer it is for less street legal sorts of vehicles.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:30 PM   #5

Question Say what?

"We trailered a CanAm spyder for several years (3 wheeler) before switching to a Jeep. Flat towing is just simpler. 10 minutes to hook up, 5 to unhook. Loading and unloading the Spyder was a 30+ minute process at least. "

I have a Can Am Spyder and 6 X 10' cargo trailer... so I have to ask, how in the world did it take you 30+ minutes to load/unload? I can load mine in a lot less time {about a minute maybe two} than hooking up for 4 down towing. I just drive it in, set the parking brake and tuck in a couple of wheel chocks. Close the rear load ramp and drive away and yes it is very easy to back up {unlike flat towing}.Unloading is even simpler/quicker, drop the ramp, pull the chocks and back out.

If you are including the trailer hook up time then OK, add another minute or 2 but then I do have a back up camera that makes hooking up very simple - two safety chains and the electrical plug in are pretty much all that is involved.

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:59 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Steve View Post
"
I have a Can Am Spyder and 6 X 10' cargo trailer... so I have to ask, how in the world did it take you 30+ minutes to load/unload?
I think the short answer is that you're a lot less anal-retentive that I am.

We trailered on an open Aluma UT10. The process looked like this:
  • If the park made us unhook, drive to wherever the trailer was and hook up.

• Extend the ramp. It's internal on the UT10 and slides out the back.

• Place the ramp extensions, (2x12x24's with a angle on one end). The UT10 ramp is too steep for the RTS so these were needed to prevent dragging the frunk.

• Drive up the ramp (pray it wasn't raining!), adjust position so the CG was just ahead of the trailer's axle, set the parking break, lower the windshield if it was up, and shut down.

• Install the travel cover.

• Strap it down. One strap for each of the front wheels tensioned to pull the bike forward; two for the back wheel tensioned to pull the bike backward. I was much more concerned with it moving forward during emergency braking than I was it falling off the back.

• Stow the ramp and ramp extensions.

• Do the final trailer check (hitch ball, chains, lights and cable).

• Double check the tie-downs and cover straps

• Hit the road, check and re-tighten the tie-downs at every stop.

Total expended time: 30 to 45 minutes depending on how big a hurry I was in.

Even with all this, I found that the Spyder would wander around a bit - usually moving forward on the trailer. The straps (very good ones) would also stretch quite a bit, particularly during the first few hours on the road.

Can't imagine driving without its having been tied down...

Regards,

Randy
Old 03-04-2021, 02:18 PM   #7

Cool The advantages of a cargo trailer...

In addition to keeping the Spyder, Rzr etc. out of the weather, away from any road debris and out of the view of the bad guys the cargo trailer certainly does make loading easier {quicker}. I would run a ratchet strap to the Rzr pulling against the chocks as it does not have a parking brake but with the Spyder up against the 2 X 6" that runs across the front of the trailer, parking brake on and chocks behind the front wheels it does not move around at all.

How did having a cover work out? Everyone i have spoken with says they are a "don't" as the wind will cause them to beat your paint to death. Loading my Indian took about 10 minutes as I used four ratchet straps, one to each of the highway bars secured to E Tack D rings. I have never had to unhook and park my trailer elsewhere probably because I tow it with our 24' Class C for a total length of 38'. Like most folks I prefer a pull through but as needed can back the rig into any 40' site.

Nothing wrong with being anal, whatever works but clearly cargo trailers are a different animal. After having owned two open trailers I will never go back.

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 02:46 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Never had any trouble with the cover as long as it was on tight. The Aluma has a pretty short tongue. Watching it in the rearview camera there didn't seem to be too much turbulence.

We towed the bike for three years but after a month long trip where it was either raining (pouring) or 85+ degrees with 90% humidity we decided we wanted something with a roof and AC. I dislike the Jeep (quite a step down in quality vs the Tacomas I've driven for years), but it's towable and meets the need for an off-road capable vehicle.

Regards,

Randy
Old 03-04-2021, 06:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gail View Post
Yep , do it whenever we take the MG out if state to a vintage car rally . Want to keep the miles off of the running gear.
Don't need a pull-through site . A trailer can be easily backed up .

We trailer a TR4 here. Wish I was a bit better at backing up.

Tags
toad, trailer