Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2018, 04:09 PM   #1

Trailering vs. Flat Tow or Tow Dolley, Pros & Cons..

Hello All - I use a flat bed trailer to transport my toad along when I go places in my class A.. I really like this approach, more than a tow bar or dolly, because you can choose any (toad) vehicle which suits your taste and requirements, provided your gross (combined) weight is within specified limits of motorhome manufacturer, of course. Since more and more modern autos have engineering and design features which make them not practical at all as a tow-behind, I am expecting more motorhome owners might decide to trailer the toad, in the future..
Once you are familiar with the connecting and loading the trailer, it just takes a few minutes to be ready to roll. As an added bonus, on my 16 foot long cargo bed, I can load some misc. gear on up front- and still have room to position my toad correctly, for safe weight distribution (trailer tongue weight) and stability.
While it is true the trailer weight itself adds to the equation, most car carrier trailers suitable for hauling one car weigh less than 1500 lbs. which means that many mid sized or compact vehicles could still be chosen as your toad, and gross weight limits not exceeded.
So my question is, Have there been any previous postings on the site, discussing trailering vs. towing, pros and cons ?
BeenThereB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2018, 04:14 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club

There was a thread started yesterday same topic. Did not get much discussion.
I have looked at trailers many times but really like the simplistic approach with 4 down for now.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:25 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
In 96 we were full time and I choose to trailer. I liked it and it worked for me. Thinking about towing 4 down now as I get back into RV life. But by the time I get all the equipment, bar, plates, lights I could probably pick up a flatbed hauler. Towing only allows me one choice ... the car outfitted with the plate. As you mentioned, the flatbed can haul any car.
Coach Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 04:52 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I've done both to tow my Jeep and I prefer flat towing.

Trailer:

Can be backed up without disconnecting.
In my case, it allowed me to get the Jeep home if I had a mechanical failure such as a broken axle.
Allows you to load other items (firewood, spare tire,etc).
You have to have a place to store it when not in use.

Flat tow:

Way easier to connect and disconnect.
Don't need a pull thru RV space or place to park trailer.
Vehicle tows better (don't have to worry about the trailer hitch or rear of trailer dragging - I have a low car hauler).
tankcj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:12 PM   #5

Some valid points being mentioned, thanks to those who have commented.. It is true, obtaining and using the equipment to flat tow is nearly as much complexity as trailering, or so it seems. So that seems to break even, more or less. Once you have the procedure down, just a few minutes either way.
But when backing up or entering a fuel stop, or campground, for example, the car carrier trailer needs to be taken into consideration, that is very true. Kind of comparable to driving a semi type car carrier, because driver must watch out for steep driveways, etc. sort of a "look before you leap" strategy, or else trailer might bottom out. By using mostly truck stops or Walmarts for most of my fuel needs, I encounter very few places that present a problem. Just choose a pump island that offers a way out of there..
About the backing up : All those motorhomes with the long "overhang" behind the rear wheels (like mine has) are tricky indeed to back up. More so, I would think, than a DP which generally has much less overhang. But either one can be backed just fine with a little practice. I made my living as a trucker for a long time, so backing up is not a problem for me
My RV gets about the same fuel economy when I tow my (empty) trailer as it does without it.. Don't even know it is back there. so the weight penalty, if anything, is not very significant from the trailer's weight.
So I guess I'm still favoring the "trailering" option, because all the drive train issues and rock chips I'm avoiding on my toad seems to me to be good incentive. As long as I pack the wheel bearings periodically, and occasional brake service as needed, the trailer needs little from me, generally speaking.
Good Luck, everyone and be Safe !
Old 05-28-2018, 09:27 PM   #6

Several threads over the years discussing towing

Overhang at least to me doesn’t really affect backing up the RV, numerous other bigger variables to me. Biggest issue with 4down is you will break or bend the tow bar when backing up thus requires disconnecting.

Good and bad with any type of towing. I have traveled with all types and a tow dolly is my least favorite. 4 down is my favorite due to lack of a trailer and ease of connecting/disconnecting, however as we know it limits us to one vehicle. As someone stated a big advantage of a trailer is if something brakes on the vehicle (Jeep going off-road, car that’s used on a racetrack) you can bring it back home with you.

I would drop .25-.5 mpg towing my wrangler unlimited. Since it’s around 5,000 lbs it was very noticeable when towing or not towing. I would say similar change in driving vs a car on a roadcoarse with and without a 175lb passenger.....quite noticeable.
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 04:57 AM   #7

Looks like you are new here...
Welcome to iRV2. Its a great group and lots of knowledge and opinions here.

You might try a few searches
Best done on PC from the website
Loik fir the google search bar... cluck on it and put in your search terms. Google works much better than the forum search functions.

Bottom line you will find 3 camps and valid reasons why each does what they do and think it's the "best" way.
It is... for them! As everyone has different needs, wants and priorities.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:03 AM   #8

I am looking at new vehicles right now and am looking into similar comparisons. Many cars require running every so many hours while flat towing and are speed limited. Not that I want to drive fast, but there are times when the speed will exceed recommend tow speed limits of the manufacturer when going downhill, etc.

Some vehicles, like the Ford F-150, are set up quite nicely by the manufacturer for towing. On the other hand, my wife’s Ford Escape must be trailer towed but it is also brand new so one option is to not change out my car and trailer tow hers. Not sure how well that will work with many campgrounds though and this trip I have been trying to assess at each stop what I would do if I were using a trailer. Currently I am using a dolly.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
I am looking at new vehicles right now and am looking into similar comparisons. Many cars require running every so many hours while flat towing and are speed limited. Not that I want to drive fast, but there are times when the speed will exceed recommend tow speed limits of the manufacturer when going downhill, etc.

Some vehicles, like the Ford F-150, are set up quite nicely by the manufacturer for towing. On the other hand, my wife’s Ford Escape must be trailer towed but it is also brand new so one option is to not change out my car and trailer tow hers. Not sure how well that will work with many campgrounds though and this trip I have been trying to assess at each stop what I would do if I were using a trailer. Currently I am using a dolly.
The factors you mention about such things as having to stop someplace and run the engine on your toad, and requirements to limit your highway speed, etc. are strong incentive (in my opinion) towards trailering.
If you end up damaging your toad transmission by flat towing, your warranty coverage may be rendered null and void, leaving you with a "whopper" of a repair bill. Something to think about. The modern "overdrive" transmissions are shockingly expensive to get a rebuild done on, due to their complexity and costly parts kits they require.
Any skilled transmission guy will probably recognize the root cause of the damage, also, even if you don't mention the vehicle was towed.
I guess I would go with a manual transmission if I must tow four down. But if your Mrs. doesn't want to drive a manual trans, might be a problem..
Also, speed limits on some interstates are 75mph (or more) I would hate to be forced to mosey along at 50 or 55, personally.
As far as campground accommodations for longer set ups, I ask them about that when I call to reserve. I find that many have some long enough sites, provided you are decent at backing up. Pull throughs are more rare (if your length is 57 feet or so, like mine is) But I have seen some.
Also have encountered places where you must drop your trailer in a separate "lot or yard" which I don't mind, as long as it has a locked gate at night. Little more peace of mind..
Good Luck and BE Safe
Old 05-29-2018, 11:22 AM   #10

I think there is a reason (or many reasons is more like it) why 75% of motorhome travelers flat tow as opposed to trailer or dolly.

For almost all gas powered coaches trailer towing is out of the question because you will quickly exceed the tow rating and GCWR of the coach.

Dollys increase your options and allow you to tow a wide variety of vehicles. But that is just one more piece of equipment to maintain, license and manhandle once you get to your destination.

As we travel and visit RV parks all over the country we notice the majority of tow behind rigs are toads and the majority of those are Jeeps of one kind or another and pre 2014 Honda CRV’s. Its pretty easy to see why these vehicles are chosen over almost everything else
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:11 PM   #11

I think this topic surfaces every couple of weeks, and there is no right answer. I chose flat towing for the simplicity, didn’t want to deal with either a dolly or trailer. What I would really like if I could afford it, is a MH toy hauler that has a nice floor plan, a garage and ratings such that I could take a new Miata inside it.

The only downside for me with flat tow is that you spend a lot of money setting the toad up each time you want to swap cars. Thus one tends to keep that car for a long time. Glad I like mine.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:26 PM   #12

I used a Dolly for a couple years, No real complaints. We now as of a few months ago went 4 down. Easier for our style of travel. I too considered a trailer, that way I could haul what ever I wanted. The big issue for us is we go from Texas to Wy. And never really know where we will end up for the night while on the road. Several places we have found last minute simply did not have a place for a trailer. And many times I had to park over the dolly to fit into the space.
There is no right answer, All have their pros and cons.
Robf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:14 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wow! This is the first time I have read one of these threads on this topic that did not get off into the weeds with a bunch of make believe hyperbole, and with good responses all around.

For me, trailer is the only thing that makes any sense, but I can see how some like the 4 down method. The only option that really makes me is the tow dolly setup, it same effort as a trailer without the benefits of a trailer and you see people complaining often about how hard it is to keep the tires locked down in the dolly.
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:09 PM   #14

We have towed with a dolly and towed with a tandem dolly that allowed me to carry a Goldwing Trike on a platform in front of the dolly wheels where I had the front of a four door Jeep Rubicon. Then I went to a trailer to carry everything. Then an enclosed trailer for the toys and parts. Now back to an open trailer for the Jeep, but I flat tow our Avalanche four down when we take that. Every option has it's place with its pros and cons. They each work for what they were intended. They all get your vehicle to the destination safely. The trailer method is easy to maneuver and backup plus no vehicle setup is required. The dolly lets you tow several different toads and it has its own brakes. The enclosed trailer is more secure and your toys are out of the weather. However, all trailers are heavier and not all MH's can handle them. You just have to pick the one that works for you and your RV.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, trailer