Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2021, 09:18 AM   #1

Transitioning flat-tow setup to new MH

Hi, looking for some experienced advice from others...

My wife and I have traveled extensively with Class C's but never towed a dinghy. We are planning a lengthy trip this summer where we would like to tow a vehicle (probably Jeep Grand Cherokee) that we will acquire in the next few weeks. We will start out with our small E450-based Class C, so that's what we will set everything up on. But there's a good chance that we will trade in the Class C for a large Class A DP *before we come home again*.

So I'm wondering if making that change "underway" will require any additional planning or changes to the setup. I realize that it probably prevents us from considering something like AF1 for our toad braking system. But otherwise, it seems (to my total noob mind) that it could be as simple as hooking the same tow bar into the hitch on the back of the 2nd MH and heading out again.

Am I missing anything? Any other comments or advice? Thank you!!
pjd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2021, 09:35 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes! As long as it was set up correctly it should be "plug and play". I don't know what you are using for brakes but since they are hooked up to a standard 7 pin socket which should be identical it should work fine.

Do a few simple things when you make any change: make sure the tow bar can handle the weight, make sure that the RV can also. Have a look at the hitch on the new RV when you get it to be sure there is no rust to weaken it.

That Cherokee will tow easily due to it's 3000 lb weight. The instructions in the book are very specific to make sure that you don't leave it in gear and ruin the engine. Our Cherokee has a, extra position on the ignition lock where you turn the car off and pull the key out but the steering does not lock so that it can be towed.

Have fun!
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 09:55 AM   #3

I have a ReadyBrute tow bar and brake setup. When I traded my Class C for a Class A in Florida it was as simple as pull tow bar from reciever and put into Class A.
Old 05-16-2021, 10:14 AM   #4
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoona View Post
That Cherokee will tow easily due to it's 3000 lb weight.
The OP noted a Grand Cherokee but not the year. The curb weight on a current Grand Cherokee is listed as between 4,500 lbs and 5,400 lbs.

Ray
Old 05-16-2021, 10:25 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Also the grand Cherokee does not use a key it will have push to start.

With the grand Cherokee you must get a model that has the 4 low option that will allow you to shift the transfer case to neutral and then flat tow.

It’s a simple process to do jut follow the instructions in the owners manual I photocopied it and laminated it and stuck it in the center console.

Also the CURT 58907 Custom Towed-Vehicle RV Wiring Harness for Dinghy will let you hookup the lights without having to cut any wires I just ordered it for my 2017 today.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:40 AM   #6

I don't know where people get their numbers from. Everyone seems to think their vehicle is lighter than it really is especially if it is a newer year model. If they are going by what is on the manufactures's site they will be surprised at the real weight. I just went looking for a new Jeep to tow and could not find one, including Wranglers and regular Cherokees under 4200 lbs on a dealer's lot. I ended up getting an Equinox which I believe is what you tow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
The OP noted a Grand Cherokee but not the year. The curb weight on a current Grand Cherokee is listed as between 4,500 lbs and 5,400 lbs.

Ray
Old 05-17-2021, 02:55 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfarer2021 View Post
I don't know where people get their numbers from. Everyone seems to think their vehicle is lighter than it really is especially if it is a newer year model. If they are going by what is on the manufactures's site they will be surprised at the real weight. I just went looking for a new Jeep to tow and could not find one, including Wranglers and regular Cherokees under 4200 lbs on a dealer's lot. I ended up getting an Equinox which I believe is what you tow.

https://vehhistory.com/curb-weight-s...cherokee--2001

Since the OP did not know exactly what year and model I used mine as an example. Boy have they gotten fat since mine was made!
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 11:31 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We have a 2019 Chevy Colorado set up to tow behind our original coach ( Newmar Gasser). We shifted to a DP and it tows fine behind the rig.

We are now looking at moving to another toad. Our current coach has the Spartan Safe-Haul system standard, so we can now use the AF1 system in next toad if desired.

Still haven't decide which way we will go, I could shift the Invisbrake system over to the new toad and continue as in past or shift systems. Doing some cost benefit analysis right now.

My point seems to be, you can set up for towing behind your current rig and then move to another rig. The set up might not be optimized for the new rig, but should still be functional.

best of luck
j
New2road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 06:17 AM   #9

Thanks for the helpful replies, everyone. I really appreciate it.
pjd123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow