Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2018, 06:29 PM   #1

Traveling to Alaska

We are leaving for Alaska in June and wondering what suggestions people have for traveling and towing a car. Also are Country Coach has a back splash guard which we've heard reports actually throws up rocks more than protects the tow Car what car and RV protection do people suggest for the trip
holyrollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2018, 06:44 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Congrats on making the trip to Alaska. We went in summer of 2015 and we still smile thinking about it. You wil be glad you took a toad with you. We have the blue ox advanta tow bar and installed a rock guard from Blue Ox. We had no chips on the paint of our jeep. However, we did get a small chip in the window from a semi-truck (who was driving way too fast) throwing a bunch of rocks and putting a very small chip in the windshield that was easily repaired.
I recommend that when you meet a larger vehicle and road conditions are bad, slow down until they pass. Drive speeds that fit the road conditions and you should not have a problem. Enjoy! Great memories ahead!
RVi 2 Auxiliary Braking System
iRent2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:11 PM   #3

Hey holyrollers, I was just going to post on here with a similar question. We are also going to Alaska in June and thinking of whether or not to bring a towed vehicle. We have a 24 ft Class C that is pretty easy to get around in, but I am almost finished setting up my Tracker as a toad. We are thinking that it might be nice to have a little 4x4 to do some exploring up there. I really wish we had it for our month in Utah a few years ago. So what do the experienced Alaska travelers think-is it worth it or unnecessary? Any other advice?

PS Be prepared for high gas prices in British Columbia. We are around C $1.45 to $1.60 a liter. That's equivalent to about US $4.50 to $5.00 a gallon. Diesel is a bit cheaper.
tred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:07 PM   #4

Ak bound!

We retired from Mn to Fl and last year tackled my first bucket list item. Left Fl in April and entered Canada June 2nd near Vancouver for our Ak adventure. We drove a 36 ft class A with a tow and we were glad we had the tow. We spent a total of 10 weeks in Canada and Ak with over 9K miles for that portion of the trip. Impossible to see all the places we saw without a tow. Paid as high as $1.69 per liter in the Yukon Territory but it was worth every $ spent! Don’t forget to visit the Klondike as well as the Cassier Highway in British Columbia! Incredible trip, take your time and slow down in southern Yukon as well as eastern AK since they are the most challenging roads. Don’t worry about campgrounds and reservations, they love RVers and have ample parking solutions. Imagine camping on a sandbar near a river and having bear tracks near your camper in the morning! Enjoy and do not rush!
ddahlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:16 PM   #5

AK Bound 2!

I got so carried away describing the trip I forgot to answer your question. No, we did not add any additional protection for the tow. Drove a gas class A and slowed down when necessary and had absolutely no damage to the tow. No chips on the windshield, no paint damage, no tire problems. The secret, slow down and let the folks trying to do a multi month trip in 2 weeks pass! Enjoy!!!
ddahlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:30 PM   #6

We did the trip 17 years ago and I wouldn't do it without a towed vehicle. Don't forget that you need a braking system on the towed vehicle. We use the Air Force One system and it works great.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:35 PM   #7

Also don't forget that you need a brake system on the towed vehicle . We use the Air Force One system.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:42 AM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
We went to Alaska last summer (2017) it was four months and 15,000 miles of towing (it is a long way from Florida). We did a lot of boondocking and several gravel roads, including top of the world highway.

We got a small chip in the RV window,(repaired that at a campground with a glass repair kit I bought back in the us before we left), a small chip in the explorer window and lost a lower fog light due to a rock.

We have a 40 ft RV and tow a Ford Explorer. We have no mudflap and did nothing to the tow vehicle.

I did see at least one RV and one Jeep with total windshield loss due to major rock damage.

We did slow down a lot for all road repairs, usually 20-25 mph-- sometimes 15 mph for repairs, of which you will see a lot.

Even with your best driving skill there is always a chance to get a rock from a truck going the other way.

It was a fantastic trip and worth all the effort.

thx Dale
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:42 PM   #9

We did AK in 2016. Our class A has a hula skirt and mudflaps behind each wheelset. We had no problems towing our toad. Got a windshield star in BC and one in Arkansas both from trucks.
My advice...leave your full width mudflap at home, it does more harm than good. Oh ...and your rig is going to get really,really really dirty. Have some $2 coins ready for the pressure wash machines in BC and YK.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:10 PM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
I second the really really dirty part.

Some of the RV parks in TOK, and at least one gas station, have FREE wash stations if you stay there or buy diesel/gas there.

No matter how you get into or out of Akaska by road -- you are going through TOK.

The wash stations are just an outdoor power wash wand, and not much more, but from what I saw it should work.

thx Dale
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:32 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Going to Alaska

We are going to Alaska as well this summer. We plan to leave Saskatchewan in mid June, and be gone for approx two months. To prepare for the gravel roads, and construction areas, I have raised the full width rubber flap to the max, added some grass skirt behind that, and (fabricated and) installed a horizontal mesh tarp system (that covers the entire area from the rear bumper of the MH to the front bumper of the tow vehicle). Over and above that we expect to travel slow when off of the smooth pavement.
Have fun, take your time, and take lots of pictures....we plan to do the same!!
Maybe we'll run into some of you fellow RVers on the road
LSBEH 😎
Old 05-27-2018, 11:52 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

As for the rear skirt causing rock dings, that all depends on how low it is mounted. Those that almost swish the ground can indeed kick up anything that sticks up a bit, but if the skirt is 4-6" above the surface (on level ground) it should cause no problems.

If the skirt on yours is low, often they can be adjusted higher (my last one was on chains) or remounted higher. If not, the bottom edge can be trimmed with heavy shears, e.g. tin snips.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel