Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2021, 07:31 PM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamJam1 View Post
I doubt this is your real problem, but it will tighten the hitch up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I think Blue Ox is better.
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2021, 08:25 PM   #44

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountry_star View Post
I have found that when flat towing with a lifted Jeep (solid front axle) with oversize tires, alinement is critical. Also no wear in front end parts. Lifted vehicles seem to create problems when flat towing. I guess more accurate would be they can be very sensitive to anything not being exactly right.
I flat tow 4" lifted Jeep TJ with mud tires that howl like a banchee. It ALWAYS tows right behind with absolutely no sway. You have alignment issues, transfer case not in meutral, or extreme wear .
NeverGrowUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 09:23 PM   #45

Any slop in the linkage can result in sway. Also, the further it is from the rear axle of the truck to the pivot point in the linkage, the more unstable your tow will be. Ideally, the pivot point should be at the axle, but that’s not practical. The relative weighs and wheel base of the tow vehicle also have an effect on stability.
Are you within the tow rating of the tow vehicle? Are your tires inflated to recommended pressures?
Bogus JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 12:18 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krikati View Post
Wait a minute! I thought you were supposed to unlock the steering while towing four down. A rope through the steering wheel would greatly limit the freedom of the toad to track the TV.

I flat tow a 2018 Subaru Forester behind a Class A (New Aire) with a Blue Ox towbar, and it doesn't sway (I watch it with the rear camera). However, I've had a couple of tires on the toad blow out. The last one was a doozie, damaging the front left fender and ripping out the wiring harness. Anyone have an idea why?

Grateful for any ideas on this.

Krikati
I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT YOU SHOULD BE FLAT TOWING A SUBARU. JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN PUT IT IN NEUTRAL DOESN'T MEAN IT CAN BE SAFELY FLAT TOWED! I would look into this before you damage your transmission...
MarcM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 02:51 AM   #47

I think a heavier pulling truck would help a lot. My 1969 VW Sedan used to wobble. I would stop and then start slowly and it would tow straight. I did the bungee thing for a short while. I replaced the steering damper and it totally fixed my problem.
Most likely since 4 pages of replies, you have solved your problem.
Old 01-02-2022, 05:26 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcM View Post
You have mud tires on your toad. I just wrote a long answer about this when someone had a question about flat towing their Jeep. Since the tires have no straight lines on them, they will "wobble" as you go down the road. This is likely your problem.
Ive towed our JK thousands of miles with BFG Mud Terrains. Not sure how a mud tire vs any other tire causes issues. As long as the jeep goes down the road straight off the MH it will be fine on the MH...
kb2ztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 05:30 AM   #49

As said bungie on steering wheel and go slow. Towed lots of junk in the past (back when we ran a chain around the bumper and Bolted..yes bolted the chains together with 3/8" bolts. Never did loose one. Still have one of my old tow bars in the barn with the chains hanging on it. For reeference most of them were at 30" on the plate that went against the bumper. Make sure air pressure is close also. Had a few with bad tires we moved and as air went out it would pull to that side of the road. Stop fill tire keep going
kb2ztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 05:40 AM   #50

Talking Toad Sway

I would suggest you take the toad in for a front end wheel alignment. Make sure you tell them about the sway when being towed. Classic caster/camber issue.
Doug Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 11:28 AM   #51

Thanks. First time i towed another f550. It went ok a little sway over 60. 2nd time tug and toad same vehicle but toad susoension was bent. It waa a suicide run. You all are right every little think matters. Slop in hitches and alignment tires of toad. Im thinking of building an oversized tow dolly for towing one ton trucks.definitely have to upgrade to a dually tugger
97vanswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 11:29 AM   #52

Ive towed s10 with a 50 towbar and it tracked like a dream. Of course tugger was a 7500lb superduty.
Old 01-05-2022, 06:19 AM   #53

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I suspect the truck has front end issues, alignment and worn parts.
**These Fords are known for their death wobble because of it.
Old 01-05-2022, 03:33 PM   #54

You need to keep the slack out... you're obviously not driving fast enough.
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 07:58 AM   #55

Think tie rod. Classic tie rod wander.
edaa53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 10:32 PM   #56

Yes sir. You are correct! Road were twist side winders. Cant go fast. Appalachia. Sharp hilly road that snake left and right.

Tags
sway, toad, tow