Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2021, 06:39 PM   #29

the tow bar is blue ox . the hitch is loose.im sure they all like that. what can i do to tighten up hi lo receiver thing??
97vanswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2021, 06:45 PM   #30

I doubt this is your real problem, but it will tighten the hitch up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 12-30-2021, 02:55 PM   #31

true

Quote:
Originally Posted by will stevens View Post
I would check the caster on the truck your towing, as well as the toe.
Both can cause trouble when being towed.
I would go for a positive caster and slight toe in.

Should fix problem
Wayneq85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 03:18 PM   #32

Question Confused about this advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Set steering wheel straight, loop a piece of rope thru steering wheel, pull ends of rope out door between door/windshield frame and CLOSE the door
Wait a minute! I thought you were supposed to unlock the steering while towing four down. A rope through the steering wheel would greatly limit the freedom of the toad to track the TV.

I flat tow a 2018 Subaru Forester behind a Class A (New Aire) with a Blue Ox towbar, and it doesn't sway (I watch it with the rear camera). However, I've had a couple of tires on the toad blow out. The last one was a doozie, damaging the front left fender and ripping out the wiring harness. Anyone have an idea why?

Grateful for any ideas on this.

Krikati
Krikati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 03:24 PM   #33

Looks like an old Ford. When is the last time it was on an alignment rack and front suspension components inspected? Slop in any of the front end stuff will make flat tow virtually impossible. Everything needs to be tight and in-spec. Also looks like "jacked up", thus all the normal geometries of "off". The term for your problem is "death wobble" and some vehicles, no matter how new or tight won't behave. Tow bar should have no more than 2 inches of height difference front to rear......and upward tilt toward the tow vehicle has been known to exacerbate death wobble issues....

Start simple. Check for slop in the steering wheel with engine off.....feeling for any "knock". Jack one wheel at a time off the ground an inch and grab tire and wiggle left to right and feel for play. Then lean on top of tire..in and out and feel for play. Any play is bad. Do both sides. Do a poor man's toe check with a tape measure....you can find instructions on YouTube. Nothing will tow well without a little "Toe In" (Positive Toe). Caster on those Fords should be about 5 degrees trailing.....need alignment rack for Caster and Camber....

If you don't want to mess with this yourself, spend the $100 and get the thing put on a machine. They will know in less than 15 minutes the answers to all the questions... and you want a shop with the latest Hunter laser alignment machine.....and ask when the last time the software was updated and the machine was calibrated..... Try to find a shop that works on trucks as they typically have "old timers" who understand the "magic" and don't just work off the "specs" in the machine.

Good Luck!
FlNewmarBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 03:31 PM   #34

Probably under inflated or scrubbing causing the tires to overheat. Do you have TPMS on the Toad that you can see in the RV? You can monitor pressures and temps. ALso is your toad brake system properly adjusted? Can be locking up or taking heavy braking load if set too aggressively and skidding or overheating the tires. Again a TPMS with temp will tell you a lot. ALso carry a cheap Harbor Freight temp gun and shoot the area near the lug nuts. It will tell you a whole lot about how much braking....(under or over) you have....
FlNewmarBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 03:44 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97vanswap View Post
badly. front wheels of toad turn to one side then to the other side then to otherside pulling my tugger .have to fight to steer. i made my own mounts. maybe they spread too wide?

Your attachment points are way to far apart! They should be 4 to 6” off of center of the hitch.
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 03:56 PM   #36

Send a message via ICQ to Steve Rankin
Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
Not liking your safety chain attachment at all. Definitely will shear that bolt off.

Ditto
Steve Rankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 03:57 PM   #37

Mud tires

You have mud tires on your toad. I just wrote a long answer about this when someone had a question about flat towing their Jeep. Since the tires have no straight lines on them, they will "wobble" as you go down the road. This is likely your problem.
MarcM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 04:05 PM   #38

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Is the towed vehicle a 4 wheel drive? Are you sure the transfer case is in netural along with the tranny? Almost sounds like the front and rear axles are fighting for traction and binding up, with both being an open diff then only one wheel per axle is binding and this will cause the truck to jerk to one side then the other. Try pulling off the front drive shaft when towing.
Jchemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 04:56 PM   #39

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by will stevens View Post
I would check the caster on the truck your towing, as well as the toe.
Both can cause trouble when being towed.
I would go for a positive caster and slight toe in.
Have to agree: toss it on a good four wheel alignment machine... It's possible the rear axle is also out of alignment (moved on the spring if leaf springs...)

Also check for worn steering/front end bushings (all of them) as that truck looks like it has been driven quite a bit--worn bushings would easily lead to the problem. Also consider some weight in the back bed if you can, that may help.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 05:42 PM   #40

Castor should be fine and likely rest is ok on the Toad..IMO ya have way to many points of movement with this Gerry ridged system you made.
2004 Magna 42' 3 slide Chalet CC#6315M
C-15, 515HP 1650tq.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 06:02 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
I have found that when flat towing with a lifted Jeep (solid front axle) with oversize tires, alinement is critical. Also no wear in front end parts. Lifted vehicles seem to create problems when flat towing. I guess more accurate would be they can be very sensitive to anything not being exactly right.
Kountry_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 06:06 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
It is definitely in the front end alignment of the toad. Towing it with a smaller truck may have something to do with it too

Tags
sway, toad, tow