Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2015, 01:17 PM   #29

The double towing may be legal in some states, but you have to have a commercial truck drivers license.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2015, 01:36 PM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
OP does your featherlite trailer have brakes? If no, them abort the whole thing, if yes, attatch trailer first then flat tow jeep
Old 11-06-2015, 02:29 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
While travel on the interstate may be OK you could have issues as soon as you were beyond the "fuel zone" when state rules would apply.

As previously noted, most triple towing included the caveat the first connection must be a 5 wheel.
Yes , I am aware of the exiting for fuel and food clause. Could apply to a whole lot of rigs out there, depending on the State. When years ago I pulled a tri-axle V nose enclosed car trailer,with my coach i was 75 ft or more, never a problem. You have to be careful no matter what when you are that long, it was always TSs and Walmarts. Cracker Barrel was often too small for me.Did that for 20 plus years and we went everywhere the road would take us.

Yes the fifth wheel part, and I can see why that is, its all about stability. Not all states however. I am sure I could build a pull hitch set up that would be as stable as a high profile fifth wheel pulling a trailer . Ever notice a lot of the open car haulers out there, many are set up as a pull trailer without a standard fifth wheel.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:37 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
OP does your featherlite trailer have brakes? If no, them abort the whole thing, if yes, attatch trailer first then flat tow jeep
Yes , trailer has brakes. Connecting to the coach ( as I had said ) needs updating as I have an air connection at rear of coach and a power on switch on dash. That is another issue as to what the set up actually was as I bought the CC that way. I guess its an air actuated device that applys pressure to the electric brake circuit via a magnetite valve ? Need to look into it.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:40 PM   #33

Wouldn't you be double towing?
Old 11-06-2015, 02:49 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtsara View Post
Wouldn't you be double towing?
Yes , so to speak , however often its called tripple if counting the tow vehicle. True triple towing ( 27 ft. trailers is also out there,) mostly in western states. and on Toll roads i have seen three 53 ft. vans behind a tractor. Way over 150 foot long !
Old 11-06-2015, 03:11 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
I triple tow trailers for that big del co. The equipment is designed for the job and the physics of it. While I do it for work, I would never do it with the setup you are suggesting legal or not.
I haven't done the setup your thinking of so I guess I cant say for sure as you want someone who has discuss it. BUT I have seen those who have on the road and it scares the S.. out of me .. Sway is almost impossible to stop and Ive seen several rvers tipped over setups in my travels.mostly truck 5er and a boat or off road vehicles on a flatbed
The commercial equip I use all I would think of using as it can be a real handful ! Take the advice or not .. Good luck.
Old 11-06-2015, 03:16 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Yes , so to speak , however often its called tripple if counting the tow vehicle. True triple towing ( 27 ft. trailers is also out there,) mostly in western states. and on Toll roads i have seen three 53 ft. vans behind a tractor. Way over 150 foot long !
The OP is correct on terms.
Double towing and "Towing triples" are the same thing.

Double towing is plain english and easy to understand.

The cliche' "Towing Triples" is slang...see halfway down this Wiki:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travel_trailer

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 11-06-2015, 03:26 PM   #37

Full Pull

Back in 80's we pulled an 18' Nitro bass boat behind a 23' Jayco RK 5'er. Luckily we had no mishaps, but it was incredibly hard on equipment. The extra vehicle will "push" far more than you think, and uneven road surfaces will occasionally put the chain of vehicles into a harmonic "wave" like movement that's very unsettling. My wife deemed this travel "the full pull", and it was probably hardest of all on her nerves. It took all the pleasure out of her travel and is just the opposite of what this lifestyle is supposed to entail.
Old 11-06-2015, 03:32 PM   #38

Triple E Owners Club
What kind of stress would be on the tow bar in a panic stop with the braking power of four down and a trailer?
Might want to run this setup past the tow bar manufacturer first.

Dave
Old 11-06-2015, 03:41 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
I triple tow trailers for that big del co. The equipment is designed for the job and the physics of it. While I do it for work, I would never do it with the setup you are suggesting legal or not.
I haven't done the setup your thinking of so I guess I cant say for sure as you want someone who has discuss it. BUT I have seen those who have on the road and it scares the S.. out of me .. Sway is almost impossible to stop and Ive seen several rvers tipped over setups in my travels.mostly truck 5er and a boat or off road vehicles on a flatbed
The commercial equip I use all I would think of using as it can be a real handful ! Take the advice or not .. Good luck.
They don't call them " wiggle wagons" for nothing ! You guys often have a hard time keeping them in a line, I know, been behind Fedex and UPS way too many times ! I have been told two 53 ft. vans are more stable on the Turnpike than these short trailers.The long WB of a 45 ft. coach is about as stable a base as you can get, the way I see it anyway.... I understand some western states allow 3 27 ft. trailers, I bet thats a bit rough in a cross wind especially with those short day cabs !! WB has a lot to do with just about anything we tow. Pulling a long trailer with a Bronco is an accident waiting to happen ! ( especially if you have a 5-6,000 vintage car inside.)
Old 11-06-2015, 03:41 PM   #40

At a campground in Tennessee last year I watched a truck pulling a fifth wheel pulling a trailer with a car on it come in, back everything into a site with no trouble.
Old 11-06-2015, 03:48 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuzzy View Post
What kind of stress would be on the tow bar in a panic stop with the braking power of four down and a trailer?
Might want to run this setup past the tow bar manufacturer first.

Dave
Actually much less, all that braking power takes away forward motion.Good case for trailer brakes on a big rig, where you actually do not need brakes, especially with a Jake Brake. I wonder how many rigs out there do not have brakes on their little ATV and Jeep flat beds ?
Old 11-06-2015, 04:01 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Yes , I am aware of the exiting for fuel and food clause. Could apply to a whole lot of rigs out there, depending on the State. When years ago I pulled a tri-axle V nose enclosed car trailer,with my coach i was 75 ft or more, never a problem. You have to be careful no matter what when you are that long, it was always TSs and Walmarts. Cracker Barrel was often too small for me.Did that for 20 plus years and we went everywhere the road would take us.

Yes the fifth wheel part, and I can see why that is, its all about stability. Not all states however. I am sure I could build a pull hitch set up that would be as stable as a high profile fifth wheel pulling a trailer . Ever notice a lot of the open car haulers out there, many are set up as a pull trailer without a standard fifth wheel.
Yup they use the pintle hitch because it allows them to haul an extra car on the truck. Again a different beast than the ball hitch. Gravel truckers with box and wagons use the same pintle hookup.

Difference between long and triple is one of exposure. I have seen triple hauling fairly often. Mostly 5er with boat or something else behind.

It is always a crap shoot. Lots of fellows do all kinds of things that they seem to get away with. If you get stopped in the middle of a vacation do you have a plan that would enable you to continue? It seems to me like you do. Just unhook the toad and continue. You drive one unit and DW the other.
Closed Thread

Tags
tow, towing