Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2015, 09:51 AM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
Tying down a car

New at this. I have a 2011 36' Monaco and now a 24' Cargo trailer. I'm going to carry a Honda trike and a Jeep Wrangler. Where do I get info on tying down the Jeep. Like how many straps. What size strap? Do you put it out of gear and use the hand brake? Etc. H haven't bought any tie down straps yet. Still getting started with the unit. Lot to learn
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2015, 10:06 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I just bought an 18' flatbed to tow my truck. I finally settled on Vulcan custom car straps from Amazon. 2" wide x 12' long with ratchets. I added a 12" length of chain with a 3/8" hook from Lowes. When I tie down, i criss-cross the straps, front to back and side to side. Let me know if you need anything else. Safe travels.
With Doberman (Bailey) & Shitzu (Cooper)
NVMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:16 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Instead of strap, you can use chains on the Jeep.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:19 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
There are many options and opinions. I don't think I have it figured out, but this is what I do currently and always seem to adjust.

The vehicle I put the emergency brake on as firmly as I can prior to putting the vehicle in park. I use heavy duty rated ratchet straps from US Cargo Control.

Ratchet Straps, Tie Down Straps, E Track Tie Downs, Cargo Straps - U.S. Cargo Control

I place an old cotton dish towel on the spoke of wheel where I put strap through so I don't scratch my chrome wheels and tighten and then go to opposite corner and repeat until all 4 tires are strapped.

I have also seen very positive reviews and when I need to buy additional I will probably buy from Mac's Custom Tie Down.

Professional Tie Down Systems for Any Vehicle

I have bought wheel bonnets and never used them, first too small and then way too hard to get over the tires and secure them due to little clearance between vehicle and trailer wall.

I have also attempted to use the trailer hitch and tow hooks on front of SUV's, they always come loose and so that didn't last long.

I use a Condor wheel chock for the Harley. I wedge my wheel chock against side wall as I load mine from a side ramp door in the front of the trailer. Wheel chock may be overkill for a trike, but I like overkill. I then use short ratchet straps around front axle with rags between the ratchet strap and axle, this is added safety and keeps front end from turning side to side. Also, be sure to use very short straps and make sure your ratchets will release without hitting the fork of your trike. The rear I use a strap through the rear wheel on each side to keep back end from side to side movement. Knock on wood I have had zero scares.

Buy a Sherline Tongue Scale, to make sure you are loaded properly.

Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scales

Overkill maybe for you, but I tow many different combinations in my trailer, I back the Escalade ESV in to minimize tongue weight, initial positioning of your Jeep over the axles will affect tongue weight, I mark the wall of the trailer for each vehicle so I know approximate location, I do not weigh tongue each time.

Good luck and search this forum, there is a lot of great information. Good luck and I hope I have helped!
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:38 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Go to Mac's Ultra Packs: Tie downs, fleece sleeve, ratchet straps and axle straps tell them what you got and they will get you what you need. DO NOT take short cuts when securing your vehicles. It will end up costing you big time in the end if you have to jam on your brakes etc. IF you tie it down properly you can travel easy.
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:51 PM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by camato5 View Post
Go to Mac's Ultra Packs: Tie downs, fleece sleeve, ratchet straps and axle straps tell them what you got and they will get you what you need. DO NOT take short cuts when securing your vehicles. It will end up costing you big time in the end if you have to jam on your brakes etc. IF you tie it down properly you can travel easy.
What size? 2" or 3"
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:22 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
I have 2" straps for the mustang and explorer. Tell them what your tying down, they will set you up, Tell them what size tires you have because you may be able to just slip the strap through the spokes and tie it down that way Or you can go to the A frame up front and rear axle in the back. Much easier if you can tie down at the tire though, I do both depending on how I feel that day.
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:56 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I just ordered the link below Friday, they are very helpful with a phone call as camato5 stated.

Pro Pack with 40" Through-the-Wheel Straps (8 Foot) and Direct Hook Ratchets

One of my issues is the clearance between my wife company car spoke of the wheels and the clearance between the brake and wheel itself. Mac's is going to only have 1 delta ring on the strap to go through the wheel with a sewn loop for the other delta ring to loop through. The sewn loop I will be able to get between the clearances I have and should provide maximum flexibility on anything I haul in my trailer from a vehicle perspective.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote