Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2022, 09:54 AM   #1

Unified Tow Brake testing help

Hi there, first post here. I bought a used Unified braking system, and I'm in too deep to quit now haha. Bought a new vacuum pump, controller from just for towing in Arizona. Everything has been installed. Breakaway works. Green light is on. Manual operation from coach works. Only one red led light comes on when motorhome brakes depressed no matter what the gain knob is dialled to, and the car brakes don't depress. In other words it all works except the proportional braking part haha. Any thoughts?
Smkerrto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2022, 01:16 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Had that system years ago (2001?) seem to remember that the coach application relied on a pendulum swing to activate with brake application. It was sensitive to mounting angle and did require a pretty stiff breaking action to activate. If you are a smooth, easy brake guy you may not see much for lights.

Last resort...someone short test ride in toad to check brake pedal movement in both manual and auto brake modes.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 01:35 PM   #3

Thanks so much - I did have my husband in the car (I drove the coach) and the manual brake did operate. The proportional did not. I did test at both light and firmer braking. It is odd, because when I lightly touch the brake when first braking, the LEDs corresponding to the gain do light up briefly, but when I firmly press the brake pedal only the one red light is on. Wondering if it's wired backwards somehow, if that's even possible? I do wonder too about if it's the mounting angle - it's mounted with the gain dial on the top.
Old 06-30-2022, 08:07 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Unified Tow Brake Towed Vehicle Kit (TV-1000K) Operating and Installation Instructions

Don't know if you have this manual, but the PDF mounting doc shows allowable range to have it work correctly. Hope it's that simple for you.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 11:15 AM   #5

Thanks so much. I figured that might be the issue as the installer put it in so the lights face the passenger side, in other words at a 90 degree angle from where it should be. And they had the picture too! Sheesh.

Tags
brake, test, tow, tow brake