Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2009, 07:55 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
US Gear Unified Tow Brake

I just spent the last 10 hours installing a US Gear Tow Brake in my 2007 Saturn Vue.

I have 4 cuts on my right elbow, 2 more on the knuckles of my right hand and and 3 more on my left.

but--- all is well, it is installed and working perfect. I did a lot of research on this forum before I made the decision to go with the US Gear. If you have ever posted on this forum ---- Thanks --- I don't post much but I read alot and the information I have gathered has been priceless.
PizzaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2009, 03:14 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You have installed a great system. Ours has worked great. I have moved it to 2 cars. Work to install but doing it yourself makes it right,
Old 04-01-2009, 04:51 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi PizzaGuy,
USGear is a great system. Had mine for over 3 years and it works as advertised. Congrats on your installation. Many trouble free miles of towing is in your future.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:35 PM   #4

Good job and congrats on your install. Cuts will heal.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:50 PM   #5

Good work on a great system! The one thing I love about the UTB (besides being proportional AND progressive) is that it is always there, totally non-invasive, and ready to go - it is a true no fuss system.

I simply hook up the tow bar and plug in ONE 7 pin (modified) umbilical cord and presto my UTB, Remco pump, Toad-Charge, AND brake/turn lights are all active ready to go (and all are powered by the coach, not the toad). Nothing else to connect or do! One tow bar and one cable. I call it my TOAD to GO!
Old 04-01-2009, 01:17 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let me give you my opinion of the system you have, in case you did not read it in the process of making your decision..

THE GREATEST

How's that.

And the major difference between your system and mine is I let someone else skin his elbow and scrape his nuckles
Old 04-01-2009, 05:41 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
I've had mine for over 2 years. Greatest thing going especially hooking up in a rain storm when more time means more "wet".
I had mine installed, Nothing better than driving up, hooking up and saying thank you, Then hitting the road. But I will say, more power to you guys that do it yourselves
Old 04-01-2009, 06:59 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Foolks keep telling me about there "Brake box" systems like Brake Buddy or Even Brake

Finhawk, You said a lot.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:11 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Only 10 hours. We spent almost that much time under our '04 Beaver! Note you have an '07 which is prewired and would have saved all that time. Had to redo our '04 Vue controller solenoid twice to get it "hidden" properly and work well with no binding.
However:
It now works GREAT and looks even better.
Not sure if your '07 Vue has the same requirement to pull the "instrument panel" fuse thereby eliminating the accumulation of miles on the speedometer?? If so, it was very easy to install a 20 amp switch in series with the fuse and hide it. Now it's flip the switch rather than pull the fuse.
Harold Miller
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:37 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Harold

It was pre wired but not very well. The orange wire that is supposed to connect to the brake light switch was not connected to anything. It just dead ends inside the generator compartment.

The tech support guys at US Gear were very helpfull assisting me to find the porblem. So --- technically, I am still working on it. When I initially said it worked perfect, I was refering to all of the static tests. Road test today reveled the orange wire problem. I have email into Monaco but I don't think I will hear from them soon.

My question to them was fairly simple. Where do I connect the orange wire to and do I need the blockind diode that is required on 2006 and earlier models.

Tech support at US Gear is closed right now but a morning call to them will make me feel a lot better. I am still a happy camper with US Gear but I am a little pissed at Monaco. I will get over it

Yes, I do need to pull the fuse. I would like to know more about how you wired the switch.

Don
Old 04-03-2009, 07:10 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Don,
On the "unwired" '04 Beaver we had to install a blinker which was not supplied (yes a normal 4 pole blinker) and directions did not mention the diode. Checked with factory and it was not req'd with blinker.

Our biggest quandary was where and how to mount the "pulley" behind the brake pedal on the Vue. That part of the '04 Vue was nowhere near flat. Even purchased a sheet of 1/32 steel to screw to the floor in hopes of making it level - I believe it was the 4th drink when the light came on and the sheet steel was not req'd.

Also about half the 8-10 hours under the MH was spent blocking up the main frame with HEAVY concrete blocks as I have an aversion to crawling under 32,000 lbs unblocked.

Good luck with that "extra" wire.

Harold Miller
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:14 AM   #12

Another individual and I installed the unit and took all day, but it was well worth it. As other posters have noted earlier, it is very easy to hook up and works flawlessly. Just bought another car so I get to do the instal again.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:44 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Harold

Once again, the guy (Lee) at US Gear tech support saved the day. He told me exactly what to look for and where to look. There is a relay inside the electrical compartment that is the brake control relay. One of the wires was marked "to brake controller". I ran the orange wire into the box and connected it to the "to brake controller" wire and the system now works fine. Every problem I had was cause by Monaco.
I too was worried about finding a flat surface for the pully. Mine is at a slight angle but there is no binding. It works just great

Thanks everyone for their input. I am a very happy camper

Don
Old 04-04-2009, 08:33 AM   #14

We have had ours for 4 years. Love it. Got a new car and had it changed over but I did the first one myself. Took a long tome to find the correct brake wire and get the relay that was not supplied. You never know it is there but it always works.
Joe and Pam is offline   Reply With Quote