Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2020, 02:58 PM   #1

Use tow/haul mode or no?

I just flat towed my 2 door wrangler for the first time from NJ to VA. It towed great. When I almost got to my destination, I remembered that my Newmar V10 has a tow/haul mode. Question is, should I use that mode? And if so, why?

31ft Dutchmen Royal Classic
Rob Hentges is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2020, 03:09 PM   #2

if it pulled great your o.k. I use tow haul when I'm climbing hills, when I'm descending hills, or when I want to accelerate back on to the roadway. keeps me in a lower gear sooner. now just driving down level interstate I don't use it.
Old 07-15-2020, 03:16 PM   #3

I agree with Riverforest's comments and I will add that I like tow haul when in stop and go traffic (going from 0 to 45 or so) because tow haul downshifts to help with stopping distance.
Gold Pot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 03:19 PM   #4

I use mine all of the time. It just changes the shifting strategy for a heavier load, like hauling a fully loaded chassis and towing a car.
Its for towing or hauling, we do both.

I like the downshifting during a stop, helps keep the brakes cool.

It has no effect cruising down the straight and flat highway.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 05:54 AM   #5

I stay in tow haul mode for the downshifting benefit. Gas mileage is never going to be good, so I'm not going to worry about whether I could get better gas mileage by not being in tow haul mode (as I've seen some posters share). The safety benefits of the the tow haul mode make it worth using, at least for me.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:17 AM   #6

Ford tow haul tends to keep the torque converter locked more reducing its enemy--heat.
LenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:38 AM   #7

As soon as you hitch something up you should use tow mode or you'll fry your transmission, rainforests will burn, you'll void your warranty and take on such an enormous liability that your insurance company will deny all claims and cancel you. Kidding, but you may hear some comments like that. They are normally designed to keep the transmission from hunting for gears up hill and provide some reduced gearing down hill. As long as the transmission is not hunting for gears and you're not lugging the motor you'll be fine.
rwhite1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:44 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
With my F53 and a 4300 lb TOAD, I have used both modes. Tow Haul is nice on climbing passes and especially downgrades. I can do the same thing manually (and have) by downshifting the transmission, but TH allows me to just tap the brakes to get a downshift without looking at the shift lever and doing it manually. On flat roads I use the normal mode.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:00 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I run with mine in tow/haul all the time. I like the shift points better, and like the downshift braking assist also. Seems to me that the shift points when not in tow/haul load the transmission up a bit when accelerating.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:05 AM   #10

I only use T/H mode when decelerating for the added braking benefit. Regular mode works better for accelerating as it keeps the RPMS in the best torque range for the V10.

Doesn't matter if I'm towing or not, I'm hauling a motor home.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:04 AM   #11

We use Tow / Haul most of the time and can't tell any difference in mileage. RPM in high gear is the same either way.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:20 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I find Tow/Haul to be mostly useful descending grades. But you’ll notice it causes the trans to stay in a lower gear longer than necessary when you get towards the bottom of the grade, so you’ll do well to switch it off when you are ready for a higher gear rather than waiting for it to upshift. The exhaust brake on my 17 F250 engages a similar shift strategy. The shift strategy is good but not as responsive to changing road conditions as an aware driver. I’m sure it’s another attempt at idiot-proofing these vehicles, which of course is impossible....
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 11:48 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
I find Tow/Haul to be mostly useful descending grades. But you’ll notice it causes the trans to stay in a lower gear longer than necessary when you get towards the bottom of the grade...
My experience exactly. have to turn it off at the bottom of the grade.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 11:58 AM   #14

Mine does linger in the lower gear a little long after a downgrade but I just ride it out until it upshifts.

With the 2017, 6 speed and lower V10 RPMs, its not that bad. We can still talk to each other at the lower RPMs.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow