Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2017, 08:43 PM   #1

Using a trailer instead of flat towing

What are your thoughts on a short enclosed trailer for my Corvette or AWD Equinox.
alnewmar2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2017, 08:47 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Lots of people use trailers. If you have the capacity and power to handle the extra weight it will work. Will have to deal with it at the site if you do not have enough space.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:47 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in the forum with us.

If you're planning on bringing the Corvette your only choice is a trailer. I was never able to flat tow my Corvette.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:48 PM   #4

Sure-- see lots of RVs plugging cargo trailers. Two issues I see are: 1-always have to figure out where to park it while camped and 2- four more tires and brakes to maintain.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:48 PM   #5

I have Cat power and plenty of it
Old 06-19-2017, 09:13 PM   #6

My Motorhomes in the passed have always pulled racecar trailers. I quit drag racing and just want to travel around the country. I don't have cars that can be 4 wheels down in stable.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:45 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I tow a trailer to haul our Jeep, never had a problem with having a trailer. People always throw out stuff like "always have to figure out where to park it while camped". We leave our trailer hooked up to MH 99% of the time, rarely do we ever unhook it. People also say stuff like "it takes so much time to load and unload your car" It take me less than 2 minutes to load or unload.

I get why people tow 4 down, but don't get why people fool with a tow dolly in lieu of a trailer, as a trailer is so nice and saves your vehicle from the brutal beating of the roads. We also carry our bikes and spare MH tire on the trailer. Have also done trips with friends, they loaded up all their coolers, tables, etc. onto our trailer, don't under estimate the value of extra space.

Good luck!
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:58 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
The trailer adds the problem of where do you put the trailer when camped. But if you want to take a vette with you, I'd say you have no choice but to trailer it or drive it. I've thought of the same thing with my 74 vette, maybe a trailer with a ramp and room forward to bring in the bikes.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 09:10 AM   #9

Like poster above, we also haul our Jeep on a trailer. Works just fine, like anything else there are plusses and minuses.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:51 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
It depends on where you like to stay. We do not boondock, so I can only relate to Parks that offer full hookups. We are coming up on three years of ownership, during which we have stayed at 30 different parks in the 10 western states. I would say at most 4 of those parks that we could have pulled through without unhooking the trailer if we had one. Our RV is 45 ' and I'd say anything 40' or more faces this problem that the hookups are all at the rear of the site. So unless you have extensions for all your hookups you are forced to locate the coach at the rear and unhook and park your toad in the front. While your suv may be able to hook up to the trailer to move it around it is unlikely your corvette could move the trailer. Believe me, I would love to have an enclosed trailer to haul our toad plus other stuff, but have concluded it just isn't going to happen.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:05 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alnewmar2005 View Post
My Motorhomes in the passed have always pulled racecar trailers. I quit drag racing and just want to travel around the country. I don't have cars that can be 4 wheels down in stable.
Seems like your already experienced in pulling a car in a trailer.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:35 PM   #12

Thanks for your input
Old 06-26-2017, 11:25 AM   #13

It's good the from someone that tows a trailer. Thanks for your input Tony. Everyone that answered has helped me think this out more clearly. Big Thanks to everyone for the help.

Tags
tow, towing, trailer