RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-08-2020, 02:19 PM   #1

Vehicle towing

30 ft has class a and need help towing. Wondering how to, what to use, and any info. I have a 2003 Accord I'd like to tow, but don't know first thing. Towing would be rare and don't need a super expensive hitch or dolly. Ideas?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2020, 02:28 PM   #2

Well, right out of the gate you're in trouble. According to the guide, the only Honda's in 2003 that could be towed 4 down are the CR-V, Element and Pilot.

https://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/

Remco or someone else "may" make a pump to lube the transaxle but you'll need to do some research.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 02:49 PM   #3

Nothing cheap about setting up the right toad for towing
Honda...not a good choice
Base Plate/tow bar/brake assist/lights etc

http://www.remcoindustries.com/wp-co...owing-v1r1.pdf
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:07 PM   #4

Rent a trailer at UHaul on the rare occasions you need to tow, if your rig can handle the total weight. It's about $60 a day vs $1000+ to buy and install all the equipment to flat tow - if you can even flat tow your Honda. Flat towing requires a flat-towable toad, a properly set up tow bar, and a supplemental braking system with stop and turn lights. A trailer allows you to use the Honda as-is, and provides towbar, brakes and lights.
Old 01-08-2020, 04:18 PM   #5

The right dolly also gives you lights and brakes.

You can tow almost any front wheel drive car.

Look for a used dolly with surge brakes, drive the car up the ramps, strap it down and off you go.

I have changed cars 3 times, using my tow dolly, over 6 years. No modifications to any of the cars.

I push the tongue of the dolly under the back of the MH, to shorten everything up, in a campsite.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:27 PM   #6

What is rare??

If rare means once or twice a year... Donít buy anything! You can rent a dolly from Uhaul if you really need your car on certain trips. Otherwise get to your destination and rent a car or use Uber.

2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P / 2015 Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:39 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use a tow dolly. Don't have to modify the car in any way. We take our car everywhere. We have a Kia soul. The combo of car and dolly is about 3500 pounds. Easy to pull....and it's nice to have the car with us. Our dolly has articulating wheels that follow us around curves and corners. Plus it has disc brakes and LED lights. I use this one with good results. It's a very nice unit. https://www.demco-products.com/rv-to...lies/karkaddy3
aviator37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:01 PM   #8

I have flat towed my 1999 Accord and are currently flat towing my 2004 Odyssey van. IT needs to be started, shifted from park to all the gears (R, N, down to low, up to drive and finally into neutral) then idle for 3 minutes. Turn key off 1 position,(Accessory) turn radio off. I usually stop and run vehicle for 1-2 minutes after 4 hours. Back when Honda recommended this, vehicle shouldn't be towed over 65 mph nor longer than 8 hours without running in neutral for 3 minutes.
IF THE VEHICLE ISN 'T SHIFTED FROM DRIVE TO NEUTRAL (in other words, reverse to neutral) transmission will be in a "false" neutral and total failure of transmission will result. This is why Honda quit recommending the flat towing of any vehicle other than the CR-V.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:25 AM   #9

I would agree that a tow dolly is the way to go if you don’t think you’re going to do it that often. I got a used tow dolly with electric brakes cheap on eBay. If you change cars as long as they are front wheel drive you can put it on a dolly. As mentioned rent one from haul first and see how it works for you.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:18 AM   #10

I've done them all. First dolly, then rental route, and now flat tow. If only taking a vehicle on periodic trips get a used dolly. You can find used ones for between 600 - 800 dollars. A new one can run between 1200 and 1500 depending on features such as brake spare tire winch etc...
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:22 PM   #11

Can any front wheel drive car be towed with a front wheel dolly? Any adjustment needed?
Old 01-17-2020, 03:37 PM   #12

According to Store : Remco

the 2003 Accord is flat tow-able. They tell you everything that's needed (it's not cheap) Also check your owner's manual for towing or recreational towing.
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joestein View Post
Can any front wheel drive car be towed with a front wheel dolly? Any adjustment needed?
You can check the owners manual, under emergancy towing. If a front wheel lift style tow truck can be used, a tow dolly can be used.

If it states flatbed towing only, I'd say it can't be towed on a dolly.

Many owners manuals mention recreational towing, but its often only related to 4 wheel down towing.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing