Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2022, 02:20 PM   #15

Is the 65 a 6 volt or 12? I had a 63 Bug that was 6 volt. I had to jump it once using 12 volts. It didn’t like it at all. If it’s a 6V system, get the harness that has its own bulbs. It will require drilling a hole in the tail light housing, but then you don’t have to worry about 6V or 12v
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2022, 02:44 PM   #16

1967 was the first year 12 VDC was standard from the factory. Along with the 1500 engine. The hotrod of bugs, as pre heavy bumpers and 1500 engine. OE in 65 was 1200 CC. 66 was the only year of the 1300 CC.

BUT (yes, LARGE BUT) many of the older 6 VDC vehicles have been converted.

MAKE NO ASSUMPTIONS.
Old 02-11-2022, 02:55 PM   #17

the automatic stick shift trans that came out in 1968 was actually a standard shift trans that used a set of electrical contacts in the gearshift to energize the clutch whenever the gearshift was touched. Worked pretty well once you understood it but was a pain to do repairs on. They also had a torque converter that allowed it to stay in gear at idle. ( for when stopped like at a traffic light ) Complicated system. Didn't end up being real popular.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 03:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy-c View Post
the automatic stick shift trans that came out in 1968 was actually a standard shift trans that used a set of electrical contacts in the gearshift to energize the clutch whenever the gearshift was touched. Worked pretty well once you understood it but was a pain to do repairs on. They also had a torque converter that allowed it to stay in gear at idle. ( for when stopped like at a traffic light ) Complicated system. Didn't end up being real popular.

AMEN! Worked my way through University of Texas in the late 1960's- early 1970's turning wrenches on VW's. Between the hot temperatures in Texas and the soft blocks in the 1968-1970 models, they paid for my college education.

Solution for "soft block" where the head studs would pull out of the block with the symptom of a loud, but deep exhaust-type noise (head actually rocking against the cylinders) was to totally disassemble the engine and install "case savers". Drill out the block, tap and insert a steel insert. NEVER came out, ever.

OH, the good (or not so good days): 3,000 mile oil changes, 6,000 mile valve adjustments. Mention that to an under 40 something and get that "deer caught in the headlights look".
Old 02-11-2022, 03:24 PM   #19

Look at Remco: Towing – Remco before you buy!!
Old 02-11-2022, 04:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
I'm not quite sure why you keep posting that link as Remco is not longer offering transmission lube pumps and as such has removed their individual vehicle information pages that some felt were informative.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 04:50 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
Old air cooled VWs don't need a pump for the transmission. It gets lubed by the crown gear spinning around and throwing oil wherever it's needed.

I don't even bother with a braking system for my kit car. Nice and light is another bonus. Under 1850 pounds.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 07:03 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
AMEN! Worked my way through University of Texas in the late 1960's- early 1970's turning wrenches on VW's. Between the hot temperatures in Texas and the soft blocks in the 1968-1970 models, they paid for my college education.

Solution for "soft block" where the head studs would pull out of the block with the symptom of a loud, but deep exhaust-type noise (head actually rocking against the cylinders) was to totally disassemble the engine and install "case savers". Drill out the block, tap and insert a steel insert. NEVER came out, ever.

OH, the good (or not so good days): 3,000 mile oil changes, 6,000 mile valve adjustments. Mention that to an under 40 something and get that "deer caught in the headlights look".
I had a 1970 Westfalia bus. I fondly remember constantly tweaking that old girl to keep her running well. I screwed a little box inside the engine compartment with spare points, a feeler gauge and some sandpaper to keep that old 009 happy.

This was my bible: How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive
Old 02-14-2022, 08:30 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergawd View Post
I had a 1970 Westfalia bus. I fondly remember constantly tweaking that old girl to keep her running well. I screwed a little box inside the engine compartment with spare points, a feeler gauge and some sandpaper to keep that old 009 happy.

No more points to clean, file or replace for me! I installed a Pertronix ignition. All fits under the distributed cap and uses the stock coil. Excellent system that I have put in all my stuff that used to have points.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Old 02-15-2022, 07:49 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned Tourist View Post
Here's my rig hooked up. You can see the tow bar if you zoom up.

Beautiful coach. Best gasser ever built. Hard to believe Winnebago moved away from this floorplan.

Your kitcar looks pretty cool too.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 07:56 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergawd View Post

Yup, getting harder to find one of us "old-timers" who worked on that vintage air cooled VW's. Was actually still working on them in 1975 when the first watercooled VW came out (Rabbit).

My (not) favorite when I worked at the VW dealership in Juneau Alaska was the Kake Alaska taxi, a 1970 VW bus. It came to us on the ferry once a year for maintenance. Used many hours a day, not one inch of pavement on the island and rarely out of first or second gear. Had to start with two hours with a steam cleaner to even find the engine, suspension, etc. We drew straws to see who had to work on it. That year I lost, and it was on my lift for a solid week.
Old 02-15-2022, 10:06 AM   #26

On a total side note, there is a company, EV West, in SoCal that makes a $7,600 turn-key kit to convert an early VW Beetle and van to an Electric Vehicle.

Since this kit keeps and uses the stock transaxle, just put the transmission in neutral to disengage the electric motor when towing.

Watch some of the videos.

Scroll down for the bug kit.

https://www.evwest.com/catalog/index...6c91bb17f33cc1

Scroll down for the Van kit.
Healeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 10:57 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Best Floor Plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
Beautiful coach. Best gasser ever built. Hard to believe Winnebago moved away from this floorplan.

Your kitcar looks pretty cool too.
I totally agree, they really dropped the ball when they went away from this floor plan. Best I have seen.

Tags
toad