Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2013, 03:27 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
VW Passat on an Acme EZ Tow Dolly

Going to take our first trip with our Acme EZ tow dolly and am looking for someone that has towed a VW Passat on one. First question is, are there any issues in loading the Passat on the dolly as far as ground clearance and the ramps? Second question is, I have the option of securing the car with the straps or chains. Which do you use and if the chains, please let me know where you wrap them so as nota to damage anything. Thanks !
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Steve,

I don't have a Passat, and I can't imagine any reason that it would be different than any other FWD sedan...just hook-up and go...but maybe someone here has more insight.

- BUT - DO NOT USE THE "CHAIN" Automatic Restraint System (ARS) that may have come from the Mfgt. They have discontinued it because it does not allow enough "pivot point" on the wheel tray during turns.
See "What Exactly is the ARS here: FAQs | Car Tow Dolly
The name "ARS" now describes the design of the web strap with a single front strap and slide mounted winch.

This should not be confused with the safety chains - those should always be used.

REASON: The front wheels of the toad must be able to pivot during turns. If the toad's wheels cannot pivot during turns the dolly wheels will scrub sideways plus tremendous side pressures will be created in the toad's front suspension during the turns.

If your Passat has steering lock, ensure it is unlocked during the tow.
See important notes here: How to Use a Tow Dolly, How a Car Tow Dolly Works & Other Car Tow Dolly Questions | Car Tow Dolly

Finally, the toad's wheels do not need to spin (toad can be left in park) but it doesn't hurt if you expect to be making very tight turns during the tow.

Best of luck and safe travels

BTW, I have over 10,000miles on my EzeTow, I bought it used, and I Love It! So simple and EZE to use.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:36 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hi Scarab, thanks for both links..., however after reading both, I am more confused than I was... Lol! The first link with the FAQ indicated that the chains were discontinued due to issues with car sensors and brake lines. In the second link, it instructs you on how to use the wheel straps or chains...

I think my best bet is to call the number on the link tomorrow to get a clearer understanding.

I was able to see that as long as I have 7" of bumper to ground clearance, it shouldn't be a problem, and that 14" from hitch to ground is an optimum height. Thanks again bud!
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
Hi Scarab, thanks for both links..., however after reading both, I am more confused than I was... Lol! The first link with the FAQ indicated that the chains were discontinued due to issues with car sensors and brake lines. In the second link, it instructs you on how to use the wheel straps or chains...

I think my best bet is to call the number on the link tomorrow to get a clearer understanding.

I was able to see that as long as I have 7" of bumper to ground clearance, it shouldn't be a problem, and that 14" from hitch to ground is an optimum height. Thanks again bud!
It is smart to call them. I did for some questions, but I am not sure they will tell you the whole story about the issues with the chain ARS. There is several threads on iRV2 about the chain tie-down causing problems from cracks in the dolly frame to bent toad suspension parts.

About the 14" hitch height...I have an 8" drop hitch and the ball is still at about 18", just because the receiver is so high. I think that is typical for a Class A. The only option was to get a 12" drop hitch, but I felt that was way too much twisting leverage on the receiver. The Eze-Tow rides a little nose high, but that only helps to keep the toad from pushing forward on the dolly (breaking pressure being much more g-force than acceleration).

It rides fine, the surge brakes work well, and I have had no problems with this set-up.

Best of luck!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly