Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2016, 07:15 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to ie2special
We have an F150 we want to pull behind our Super-C but we are confused

The rv dealer suggests blue ox. We dont like the idea of modding our truck...but everyone seems to have them. Are they really that good? I also read people have braking systems...does the blue ox not have everyhting it needs?
ie2special is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2016, 07:21 PM   #2
Community Moderator

We have an F150 we want to pull behind our Super-c but we are confused

Do you want to town 4 down or on a dolly?

If not on a tow dolly, yes you need to mount the tow bar to the truck, and yes you need some type of braking system. If using a dolly - the dolly has the brakes.

This tow bar and brake setup is also popular

http://www.readybrake.com/store/c2/RV_Tow_Bars.html
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ie2special View Post
The rv dealer suggests blue ox. We dont like the idea of modding our truck...but everyone seems to have them. Are they really that good? I also read people have braking systems...does the blue ox not have everyhting it needs?
I'm having a little trouble deciphering your post. What EXACTLY do you mean by "We don't like MODDING our truck"?

If you're going to tow ANY vehicle, there are "Modifications" that are needed for any and all parts of towing to your toad. First, the tow bar that you're using needs to attach to the toad somehow. About 99.99999% of the folks use what's known as a "base plate". In short, it's a form of an adapter that bolts to the front end of the car/truck etc. that will remain on the front end for attaching the tow bar to. Most of the time, the base plate manufacturers do a pretty good job of making those base plates almost invisible.

They blend into the vehicles front end (grill/bumper/gravel shield etc.)

Second, another "Mod" is setting up the toads lighting system to accommodate brake, running and turn lights for when hooked up to the coach.

Third, the use of an "auxiliary braking system" is required by quite a few states out there so, it would behoove you to acquire one that you're happy with in all aspects, i.e. hooking up, does not drain the toads battery system, is possibly transferable to other toads, and more. There are a number of systems out there for the choosing.

The "Blue Ox" tow bars are rated for various toad weights. When you ask about the Blue ox having everything, what exactly are you asking?

You'll need a tow bar, base plate, safety cables or chains, a pig tail for your lights etc and, whatever kind of braking system you choose.

You don't say what year/model of F-150 you're going to tow. As I understand it, only 2012 F-150 4x4 and up is flat towable. If yours falls into anywhere in that category, you're good to go. Good luck.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:09 PM   #4

pasdad1 has summed it up well. You'll have to do some research so you know which alternative you'd like to use. Using a tow dolly with an F150, however, will present a whole host of problems. That's why I think the dealer is recommending flat towing using Blue Ox.

If flat towing, and using Blue Ox (or any manufacturer of the following), you basically have four components you'll have to consider purchasing.

1. Base plates- yes, that modifies the vehicle as you'll have to bolt the attachments to the vehicle's frame and possibly may (or may not) have to make a few modifications to the body panels in front. They can be concealed or semi-concealed when not in use. Blue Ox does make base plates (click here).

2. Tow bar- the tow bar attaches to the base plates on the F150 and the other side hitches to the motorhome. Blue Ox does make a variety of tow bars (click here).

3. Braking system- you'll be required to use a supplemental braking system for the F150. There are lots of alternatives to use that you'll have to research which one is more to your liking. Blue Ox makes the Patriot and the Patriot II. Again, there are a host of other alternatives other than Blue Ox you can explore.

4. Lighting and related wiring- this will be so that the F150 will duplicate the motorhome's rear lighting, i.e., tail lights and brake lights. There are several alternatives you can choose here too ...diodes, installing a supplemental socket in the existing housing, or using a light bar, etc. Blue Ox does have a supplemental bulb option kit for both LED and non-LED stock rear lights (click here for LED or click here for incandescent).

Again, you don't have to use exclusively Blue Ox products although they are an iRV2 forum sponsor so many here use them. I personally use Roadmaster base plates and towbar with a U.S. Gear Unified Tow Brake. Since one of our home bases is in Washington state, we find Roadmaster convenient for service, plus they make a good product too.

ETA: I was composing my response as Scott posted so you can ignore much of what I had to say as his response was much more detailed and easier to understand.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 06:05 AM   #5

Some base plates require more modifications than others. Check etrailer.com and see if they have installation videos for your truck. Compare the modifications required for installation by each brand and then make a choice. This is the reason I dolly my Chevy Malibu. It can be towed four down but I didn't like the modifications required for installation of a base plate.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 09:20 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The very first thing to determine is whether your F150 is in fact towable "4-dwon" (flat tow). In most cases for a Ford truck, that means it has to have 4-wheel drive with a selectable neutral position. If it doesn't have that, you are looking at major mechanical mods to the vehicle. Also, as a rear drive vehicle, it is NOT dolly-towable either.

The Blue Ox you mentioned is just the tow bar and is not "everything you need".
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:33 AM   #7

If your F-150 is 4x4 and of fairly recent vintage, you probably can tow it. Some may require a NTK ( neutral tow kit) which is just a software upgrade and an indicator light. Newer ones, you just toggle the transfer case selector 5 times to enable tow mode. I've had both setups and they work fine. The Blueox base plate is a simple install, it essentially replaces the standard tow hooks on the front. You do have to remove the fascia and bumper to do the install, but then they just bolt back into place. Then you need to wire up your tail lights with diodes and select an auxiliary brake system.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:58 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We need more data about your Super-C, make & model & year and about you F-150. Actual type, 4 door, quad cab, engine size, 4x4, bed size, you know the important stuff.

Help up help you better
Old 01-02-2017, 11:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
I'm having a little trouble deciphering your post. What EXACTLY do you mean by "We don't like MODDING our truck"?
Scott
Thanks for the response, you figured out what I was asking! I didn't even know what i needed to ask about!

With regards to modifications, our Foucs ST would require us to cut the grill and we do not want to do that at all. I want to find a way to not have to do that type of modification for the truck if possible.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
We need more data about your Super-C, make & model & year and about you F-150. Actual type, 4 door, quad cab, engine size, 4x4, bed size, you know the important stuff.

Help up help you better
Our Super-C is the F550 2016 Thor model, it will tow 10K. We have a 2015 F-150 that is the super crew 4 by 4. It can be towed 4 down as I understand.

I found 3 models of Blue Ok bars that will tow up to 10K. I want 10K because we may go to an F250/350 down the road and I would like to put things in the bed of the truck when traveling.

How does one decide between the Allure, Aventa LX, and the Avail?
Old 01-02-2017, 05:13 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You won't be able to flat tow a F250 or F350 Ford because the 4x4 setup is different from the F150. I have already been down that road.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:15 PM   #12

[QUOTE=

With regards to modifications, our Foucs ST would require us to cut the grill and we do not want to do that at all. I want to find a way to not have to do that type of modification for the truck if possible.[/QUOTE]

If I had a Focus ST I would not want to cut it either.

I have installed base plate brackets on three different vehicles all required some trimming (cutting). Some may not but mine have all required it. Get the instructions off of the internet and see what they require.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:37 PM   #13

You can tow a F250 but it needs to have manual shift tcase. Google F150 Blueox and you will be able to find pics of the baseplate on the truck. That way you will be able to see if any body work needs to be modded, also the mounting instructions will give you an idea of what it takes.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
You can tow a F250 but it needs to have manual shift tcase.
Guess I will keep the F-150 for the Toad then

Tags
fuse