Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2022, 06:41 PM   #15

Oh ok, I thought your towing capacity was 5,000 lbs.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2022, 06:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
Oh ok, I thought your towing capacity was 5,000 lbs.
That’s the weird thing, it is. I am guessing it’s a hitch thing. I don’t know.
Old 02-28-2022, 06:47 PM   #17

Did they put an 8,000 lb rated hitch on it?

eta: I just looked at the brochure. Yeah, that really is strange. It has a 5,000 lb. rated hitch from the factory but yet they give it a 6,000 lb towing capacity. Manufacturers usually don't do that. They typically will provide a hitch that will handle the towing capacity they specify.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 06:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
Did they put an 8,000 lb rated hitch on it?

eta: I just looked at the brochure. Yeah, that really is strange. It has a 5,000 lb. rated hitch from the factory but yet they give it a 6,000 lb towing capacity. Manufacturers usually don't do that. They typically will provide a hitch that will handle the towing capacity they specify.
So weird, right?

The good news is, the rig should have something 4,500 pounds of carrying capacity.
Old 02-28-2022, 07:07 PM   #19

Toad trucks

I just made a decision on a flat towed 4 door, 4 wheel drive, automatic dodge Dakota 2006. I know it is an older truck but I needed a truck for on the road, plus a run around truck when we are in town. On the 4 wheel drive control it basically has a indented button which allows you to put it in neutral, once in neutral put it is freewheeling. Inam in the process of getting it but feel it will fill our needs. The weight is approximately 4400. Lbs. Good luck on your search.
Oahumike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 07:25 AM   #20

On GM vehicles, you can also use this site. Plug in a recent year, choose Ordering Information, then Chevy Truck or GMC, then over on the right there is a drop down menu for vehicles. Go to SPECS on left side and you can get an idea of curb weights.

https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/dmdindex.htm

I would have thought the Tacomas and Frontiers and Rangers in 4WD version would all have been flat towable. I haven't looked at the new Frontier, but as far as the midsize offerings are concerned. I think the GM offerings, especially for rear seat passengers, would be the more comfortable than the Ford or Toyota offerings.
Old 03-01-2022, 07:29 AM   #21

Another thought: The Ford Maverick, in some configurations, is supposed to be flat towable.
Old 03-03-2022, 09:11 AM   #22

Thanks everyone. The 1/2-ton trucks are a hard stop for me with the 5,000 pound towing limit with the Jayco motorhome.

I bought a new to me 2019 Chevy Colorado 4x4 that's flat towable last night. It's the brightest and ugliest orange you'll ever see, and I LOVE IT!

As part of the test drive, I took the salesman 25 minutes away to the nearest truck stop with a CAT Scale and weighed it. Empty truck with full fuel should come out to right under 4,600 pounds. That gives me a little cushion for kayaks on top, bikes in the bed or on the back, and a soft cover for the truck bed. If there's enough left over, I may have the baby bed sprayed with LineX.
Old 03-04-2022, 06:54 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by learntorv View Post
Thanks everyone. The 1/2-ton trucks are a hard stop for me with the 5,000 pound towing limit with the Jayco motorhome.

I bought a new to me 2019 Chevy Colorado 4x4 that's flat towable last night. It's the brightest and ugliest orange you'll ever see, and I LOVE IT!

As part of the test drive, I took the salesman 25 minutes away to the nearest truck stop with a CAT Scale and weighed it. Empty truck with full fuel should come out to right under 4,600 pounds. That gives me a little cushion for kayaks on top, bikes in the bed or on the back, and a soft cover for the truck bed. If there's enough left over, I may have the baby bed sprayed with LineX.
Congrats. If you need information on your new truck, these guys can probably help you.

https://www.coloradofans.com/
Old 03-06-2022, 04:05 PM   #24
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:

Your Colorado requires that the battery be disconnected before you tow it, or you'll tear up the power steering. Roadmaster makes a nice disconnect solenoid that allows you to just push a button in the cab and electrically disconnect the battery.

If you use a braking system that requires battery power, you can still connect to the disconnected battery. I've set up three of these trucks, including base plates.

There were two base plates that work with the truck, at least on the 2016 Canyon. This is important.....the Roadmaster base plates mount down low where the tow hooks are located. This works well for a diesel pusher with a lower hitch. The Blue Ox baseplates mount higher in a different position, above the bumper. They work better with gassers that have a higher hitch. The difference between the two can mean having to use a drop down hitch.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 12:29 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Your Colorado requires that the battery be disconnected before you tow it, or you'll tear up the power steering. Roadmaster makes a nice disconnect solenoid that allows you to just push a button in the cab and electrically disconnect the battery.

If you use a braking system that requires battery power, you can still connect to the disconnected battery. I've set up three of these trucks, including base plates.

There were two base plates that work with the truck, at least on the 2016 Canyon. This is important.....the Roadmaster base plates mount down low where the tow hooks are located. This works well for a diesel pusher with a lower hitch. The Blue Ox baseplates mount higher in a different position, above the bumper. They work better with gassers that have a higher hitch. The difference between the two can mean having to use a drop down hitch.
Thanks for all of the information on towing the Colorado! It's a gasser and it sounds like the Blueox will fit the bill.
Old 03-08-2022, 11:12 AM   #26

Quote:
I've been trying to figure out a toad for an upcoming motorhome transition. I really need a truck because of the whole sewer bladder and my wife being present for one of the worst accidents I had with it.

I'm considering a 2018-2020 F150 or Ram/Chevy 1500. I think they need to be 4x4 to be towable, though I need to check the details. And, I need it to be a crew cab for carrying my people.

Does anyone have one and can post what their GVWR and payload sticker is?

(Subtracting the GVWR - payload should give me a ballpark of the actual curb weight.)

I tow a 2018 F-150 CCSB with my 2017 F53 gasser. Weight is 5340lbs. I pulled a 4600lb Wrangler before the truck. No issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cat Scale 1.PNG
Views:	15
Size:	529.9 KB
ID:	358655   Click image for larger version

Name:	F150 Toad 1.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	358656  

2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 11:21 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Can you get a trailer small enough to fit inside a smaller truck or SUV, but still big enough haul the sewer bladder? Something with folding sides, or even a flatbed with straps to hold the bladder. That way you can have it to carry the bladder when in an RV park, but put it inside or on the roof rack for travel days.

Edit, I see I'm too late.
Congrats on the ugly new truck.
Old 03-08-2022, 11:24 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
Can you get a trailer small enough to fit inside a smaller truck or SUV, but still big enough haul the sewer bladder? Something with folding sides, or even a flatbed with straps to hold the bladder. That way you can have it to carry the bladder when in an RV park, but put it inside or on the roof rack for travel days.

Edit, I see I'm too late.
Ha, a little late but I did debate that. Finding a small enough folding trailer for the back of the SUV proved a challenge. And when I did find something, it was generally cost prohibitive.

Tags
toad, tow, towing, weight