Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2017, 12:03 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What brake system do you use to tow your full size pickup

I have a 2016 F150 that i am towing and have issues with the break system i am currently using, wanted to know from others that tow a full size truck what they use as a supplemental break system.
jimbooth25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2017, 12:42 PM   #2

I have a 2016 F150 as well and use a Blue Ox Patriot unit. Towed about 6K miles with it and no issues so far.
Stevie3508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:56 PM   #3

It looks like you have a DP with air brakes. Is that is true the only option I would consider is Air Force One from SMI engineering. It makes a safe attachment to the air lines on the motorhome and extends that through a single snap on connection to the towed vehicle. The Towed vehicle modifications include the addition of one small box to supply vacuum to keep the power brake unit working while you tow. A small 6 inch cylinder permanently attached to the brake petal.

Connection consists of plugging in the coiled connection pipe and snapping on the break away cable. When you start out in the morning you must hold the brakes on for about 20 seconds to charge the system then you forget it. Your stopping distance is the same as without the tow vehicle in place.

Disconnect is remove the coiled pipe, and break away cable.

I installed my own and their customer service was wonderful. I now have over 30,000 miles with nothing but smiles on my face every time I hook and unhook.

Disclaimer, I have no relation with SMI except they did give me a hat to celebrate my successful installation.

- Jerry

P.S. If you do not have air braked, they have a different unit that uses a compressor in the motorhome to drive it. I have not tried it so I do not know how it works.

Good Luck on you quest.
APhotoWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 01:06 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
SMI Air force one for my 2016 F150. I have air brakes on motorhome.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:23 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes i have a air break system on the coach, how hard was it to hook into the system and where did you hook into it at, and also does the system need any electrical connections?, most likely i will have to install it my self since the dealers down here do bad work
Old 03-23-2017, 02:51 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by APhotoWizard View Post
It looks like you have a DP with air brakes. Is that is true the only option I would consider is Air Force One from SMI engineering. It makes a safe attachment to the air lines on the motorhome and extends that through a single snap on connection to the towed vehicle. The Towed vehicle modifications include the addition of one small box to supply vacuum to keep the power brake unit working while you tow. A small 6 inch cylinder permanently attached to the brake petal.

Connection consists of plugging in the coiled connection pipe and snapping on the break away cable. When you start out in the morning you must hold the brakes on for about 20 seconds to charge the system then you forget it. Your stopping distance is the same as without the tow vehicle in place.

Disconnect is remove the coiled pipe, and break away cable.

I installed my own and their customer service was wonderful. I now have over 30,000 miles with nothing but smiles on my face every time I hook and unhook.

Disclaimer, I have no relation with SMI except they did give me a hat to celebrate my successful installation.

- Jerry

P.S. If you do not have air braked, they have a different unit that uses a compressor in the motorhome to drive it. I have not tried it so I do not know how it works.

Good Luck on you quest.
Yes i have a air break system on the coach, how hard was it to hook into the system and where did you hook into it at, and also does the system need any electrical connections?, most likely i will have to install it my self since the dealers down here do bad work
Old 03-23-2017, 05:37 PM   #7

Air Force One. Been using it since 2008 to pull the Silverado and a Colorado before that. When returning from fishing in Alaska we are probably around 8100 pounds on the pickup. A LOT of fish.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:37 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Jim....I also use the SMI Air Force One. I've installed it on two coaches and five different vehicles. It's an all day job, if you take your time and mount things with some thought, rather than just bolt stuff on anywhere like a dealer would do.

The motor home unit will scare some people, but still pretty easy. You tap into your air lines at the brake junction. Once you have connected the coach unit, you run an airline to the bumper. The vehicle install is also pretty easy. Sometimes the hardest part is finding a place under the hood to mount the control box. The control box has a hose that goes to your power brake hose with a tee. A plastic airline is run from the under hood box, to under your dash, to a piston that is permanently attached to your brake pedal. A second plastic line from under the hood is routed to the front bumper where an air hose quick connect is installed. The only wiring is to power the electric break away switch, which is just three wires.

SMI is very good if you have a question. I like the proportional braking it provides. I also ran a wire from the unit to my dash with a red indicator light. It tells me when the brake pedal on the truck activates.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:56 PM   #9

SMI easy install

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbooth25 View Post
It took me about 4 hours over two days, The work is not hard, just have to be careful. The connection to the freightliner chassis consists of installing a pre-made valve and tank set in the space behind the rear axel between the wheels. There is a cross piece there along with all the airlines. Find a place to bolt it on then connect two air lines. I could not figure out which line to cut to make the connection as my coach has antilock brakes and there were no examples in the instructions. I took a picture of the installation and sent it to SMI one evening, The next morning I had the picture back in my e-mail with arrows indication where to connect. Once that is done install the air line connection on the motorhome hitch and string the line.

The hard part is on the tow vehicle. I could not find space under my hood for the control box. I have a hemi in the jeep and the under hood is full. I finally found a space on the drivers firewall and had to fabricate a bracket to hold the box. I cut the brake booster vacuum line and installed the connector. Mounted the air pipe connector and break away switch on the bumper. Connected the wires and routed the air pipe through the firewall. Installed the small cylinder on the brake petal and connected the pull wire to the floor. Took pictures and admired my work.

There is a video on their web site that shows the enter process and there is a copy of the video also comes in the package along with complete instructions.

It does require drilling and careful positioning but if you can operate a drill and socket wrench, the process is not complicated. You will need a plastic tubing cutter that you can get from you local Lowes or Home Depot.

You do have to locate a power source and a ground to operate the break away system and you need to locate the brake light switch if you want the LED's to light on the front when the petal goes down. It is not required, but it is a good feeling to press the brake petal in the motorhome as see the lights come on in the rear camera.

They say to mount the lights on the hitch, but I mounted mine below the hood level on the windshield. It is shielded from oncoming traffic, and the driver, but I can see it from the high mounted rear camera just fine.

The best part is the entire operation was two years and 30,000 miles ago with no trouble of any kind.

I suggest allowing about 8 hours for the entire process and celebrate when you finish early.

Have fun!
Old 03-24-2017, 09:59 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by APhotoWizard View Post
It took me about 4 hours over two days, The work is not hard, just have to be careful. The connection to the freightliner chassis consists of installing a pre-made valve and tank set in the space behind the rear axel between the wheels. There is a cross piece there along with all the airlines. Find a place to bolt it on then connect two air lines. I could not figure out which line to cut to make the connection as my coach has antilock brakes and there were no examples in the instructions. I took a picture of the installation and sent it to SMI one evening, The next morning I had the picture back in my e-mail with arrows indication where to connect. Once that is done install the air line connection on the motorhome hitch and string the line.

The hard part is on the tow vehicle. I could not find space under my hood for the control box. I have a hemi in the jeep and the under hood is full. I finally found a space on the drivers firewall and had to fabricate a bracket to hold the box. I cut the brake booster vacuum line and installed the connector. Mounted the air pipe connector and break away switch on the bumper. Connected the wires and routed the air pipe through the firewall. Installed the small cylinder on the brake petal and connected the pull wire to the floor. Took pictures and admired my work.

There is a video on their web site that shows the enter process and there is a copy of the video also comes in the package along with complete instructions.

It does require drilling and careful positioning but if you can operate a drill and socket wrench, the process is not complicated. You will need a plastic tubing cutter that you can get from you local Lowes or Home Depot.

You do have to locate a power source and a ground to operate the break away system and you need to locate the brake light switch if you want the LED's to light on the front when the petal goes down. It is not required, but it is a good feeling to press the brake petal in the motorhome as see the lights come on in the rear camera.

They say to mount the lights on the hitch, but I mounted mine below the hood level on the windshield. It is shielded from oncoming traffic, and the driver, but I can see it from the high mounted rear camera just fine.

The best part is the entire operation was two years and 30,000 miles ago with no trouble of any kind.

I suggest allowing about 8 hours for the entire process and celebrate when you finish early.

Have fun!
I just talked to the guy that does all my other work and he will install it for me at a lower cost than camping world will, and i also trust him more. I dont feel safe under the coach with out safety jacks i have seen what can happen when one of these falls onto a person it is not a pretty sight
Old 03-25-2017, 10:47 AM   #11

If you can find someone you trust, that is a great option. I was unable to do so.

As for getting under the coach, I have the same fear. I am all about safety first - I still have a lot of traveling to do!

I happen to have a slight hill in my driveway. I drove with the rear wheels on the rise with two 2x10 boards under each of the 4 rear wheels. Then I deflated the air bags so the coach was at the lowest level possible. Next, I lowered the rear jacks till they just touched the ground as a precaution and I still had room for my big belly and a roller board under the back of where the air junction is located. I guess I get creative when there is no other option!

Enjoy your new braking system.

- Jerry
Old 03-25-2017, 10:59 AM   #12

Air Force One seems to be a great system. I have used the SMI Stay n Play for about 10 years and have had zero problems with it. Three of those years were towing with a diesel coach with air brakes. Recently sold the Stay n Play with the toad it was installed in.I am in the process of outfitting a new towed vehicle with new base plates and a new braking system. I elected to go with the SMI Stay n Play Duo. The reasoning is that should I elect to get a new coach down the road, I would not be restricted to a diesel. Though we will probably stay with a diesel, some of the newer gas coaches have great floor plans that we might consider. I know some folks take issue with the exhaust brake applying the brakes on the toad, but I only had that happen one time in the last three years with the Stay n Play. Set the sensitivity on the SMI accordingly and have not had the issue since. As most owners do, I consider the SMI system to be one of the best available.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie3508 View Post
I have a 2016 F150 as well and use a Blue Ox Patriot unit. Towed about 6K miles with it and no issues so far.
I use the same brake for my 2011 GMC 1/2 ton crew cab PU. Works good and I can use on other toads.
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:23 AM   #14

I use an M&G on my 2015 F150. It was an easy install ,a couple hours to do both the coach and truck.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow