Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2021, 08:54 AM   #1

What do you think about Car Hauler (Trailer)?

Hey guys, So what about it... What about a Car Hauler? We’re here at an RV park and have been surprised at how many I’ve seen. I get the convenance part of maybe having to move it at the park. But there’s something to be said about getting the car completely off the road.

The only experience I’ve had is years ago when I rented a diesel U-haul and pulled our SUV on a hauler. Didn’t have a single problem. Although that’s not RVing.

So what say you?
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2021, 09:55 AM   #2

I used to haul an enclosed 24' behind my m/h and it was a bit of a pain because we would only be there for a night or maybe two sometimes when traveling to a race. Most places would make me unhook and park it in the overflow or somewhere like that.
A few times we made a bit of a holiday traveling to a race and then it wasn't a problem at all, garage for the car and a place to carry more stuff.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:56 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
If you are just hauling a toad I don't see any advantage.
I have been planning to buy a 20' 10k open car trailer to make it a stacker and carry a sxs also. It would keep weight a little lower and I could use it for general hauling too. If not taking other toys I would keep towing the Jeep 4 down.
BOOZE TRAVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Hey guys, So what about it... What about a Car Hauler? We’re here at an RV park and have been surprised at how many I’ve seen. I get the convenance part of maybe having to move it at the park. But there’s something to be said about getting the car completely off the road.

The only experience I’ve had is years ago when I rented a diesel U-haul and pulled our SUV on a hauler. Didn’t have a single problem. Although that’s not RVing.

So what say you?

I say do what works for you .

We do both , 4 down with our rural/urban assault vehicle and , at times trailer our MG .

We have the process to the point where either tow takes about the same time to hook-up .

Just be sure to have brakes and brake away capability on what ever you tow.
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:32 AM   #5

Most people seem to like toads vs trailers.

We are recent full-timers and use a trailer. Our trailer is 24’ partially enclosed (nose section enclosed). This trailer allows us to have bikes and other storage items kept dry inside and be able to keep our loved SUV (which is not capable of being a toad).

Yes, takes more planning for the trailer, but in our first six months and in our next 12+ months of planning, we have been able to visit/book any area that we want.

We do not usually overnight at a campground but will use a dry docking option where we can just keep everything hooked up. If we used campgrounds for overnight stops, that would make things more challenging as unloading the SUV and unhooking the trailer would add a little more time.

Good luck in your choice!
MemByTheMile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 02:46 PM   #6

Thanks guys and MemByTheMile, it doesn’t seem like you’ve found the hauler to be an inconvenience. We also dry camp on the way to our destination.

I just watched a video where a guy at an RV park, left the hauler attached to the motorhome. When he left in the car he drove off the hauler and when he came back just drove back up on it. Thereby not needing to park the hauler somewhere else. I’d of not thought of that.

Are there specific brands that have good reputations I
Should look at?
Old 04-12-2021, 05:51 PM   #7

There a some vids and articles of advantages and disadvantages of each.
A tow dolley can easily be stowed away and most people can drag one around so you don't have to really back up to it.
Tow bar you drive toad to MH it right in front of you.
A trailer is the only one that adds weight to rear axle 10-15% on tongue is necessary to keep it from getting squirrelly begging you. A rear camera will help backing up to it.
All will need some form of brakes. The toad will have most options to consider for what works for you.
There's a tow section that your post will get probably moved to with lots of info.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 06:43 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
In terms of towing stability the three methods are most stable in this order:
  1. Twin axle trailer
  2. Tow dolly
  3. 4 down

The larger your motorhome the less the stability matters. Ya can't feel it back there regardless of your towing method if your motorhome is big enough.

I do not have a trailer but I have towed on a trailer and I prefer that method because of the lower wear and tear on the toad. I've used all and but west I don't have a preference really. They all have their virtues and they all have their evils. Pick you poison.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:08 PM   #9

I own an 18 ft metal deck car hauler, though I don't drag it around behind the RV, I have only actually hauled a car on it a few times, more often I use it to equipment, lumber, etc. (the local hardware store / lumber yard has a policy that they will not load any trucks or trailers with sides on them with a fork lift. Like the one in this link: https://tophattrailers.com/catalog/p...l-car-hauler/#

the biggest issue I have loading cars onto it, is that most modern cars are so low to the ground that I need extended ramps, and also it is often impossible to open the doors of the car once they are loaded as the line up with the wheel fenders. In addition to this while towing you have to watch out more for clipping things going around corners, etc. than you would with a dolly or a TOAD as if you have one like mine it is a 102 inch maxi-width trailer so the width as a modern class A coach, where a TOAD or even a Dolly will tend to stay much more within the shadow of the path of the coach due to being much narrower. (ok technically the Dolly may be up to 102 inches wide, but it is a lot closer to the back bumper of the coach at its widest point).

p.s. the only way I would pick a trailer over a dolly or TOAD would be if I was toying a toy that could not easily be towed otherwise.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:11 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If we were to tow our toad on a trailer I would just purchase an 18’ aluminum open trailer. One advantage I see with a trailer is you can back up your entire rig anywhere whereas with a toad we cannot even back into our driveway hooked up.
We recently retired from racing and we were 75’ total length, stayed in many RV parks while traveling across the country we just made sure they offered long pull through spots. We even stayed at Graceland RV park in Memphis and had no issue maneuvering in and out of the park.
Good luck one which ever you decide.
Barneyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 01:50 PM   #11

We are actually getting ready to pick up our stacker here in a couple of weeks, 24 foot, should hold small car and a couple of motorcycles. I have towed a 20 foot car hauler trailer for years. Dual axle is a must for an enclosed trailer. I like enclosed trailer because of extra space for things that I might need on a trip (firewood, grill etc etc) depending on the trip we were taking. I did a car dolly prior to that because my toad couldn't do 4 wheel down, IT SUCKED. I was nervous the whole time. to many stories of straps coming loose. I am all for a enclosed trailer if you need more space for stuff, if it is Just for the car. 4 wheel tow would be the way to go just so you don't have the weight.

COMMING SOON 8.5x20' Car hauler for sale.
Old 04-13-2021, 05:48 PM   #12

I’ve been surprised how difficult it is to get prices. I’ve looked at the websites for
Econ Trailer
Load Trailer
Max XD trailers

And none of them give prices. Can you think of any reason that price is a closely guarded secret?

Do you know a good dealer who carry these brands where prices would be shown?
Old 04-14-2021, 07:47 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I’ve been surprised how difficult it is to get prices. I’ve looked at the websites for
Econ Trailer
Load Trailer
Max XD trailers

And none of them give prices. Can you think of any reason that price is a closely guarded secret?

I don’t think any manufacturers will give you pricing, you have to find a dealer. I’ve never heard of any of those trailer manufacturers so I can’t help.
Good luck with your search.
Barneyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Econ Trailer
Load Trailer
Max XD trailers

A lot of the dealers are wanting you to reach out to them so they keep pricing close hold. I found that once you call them then they attempt their high pressure sale crap to try to get you to buy when you are only price shopping. depending on the type of trailer you are looking for you can spend as little as 5k to 70k

Tags
trailer