Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2015, 10:47 AM   #267

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanDDS View Post
We tow a 2014 Ford Raptor behind a 2009 newmar mountainaire 4528 using a Blue-ox advent a tow bar, Air Force SMI braking system no issues at all with towing.
Lucky guy! My 2010 molten orange Raptor isn't flat towable (they apparently didn't add that feature until '11 or '12) but once we trade up to our next coach I'll be trailering it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2015, 10:49 AM   #268

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
Yes, insurance would likely pay for the damage unless possibly negligence could be proven.

I understand having a light vehicle that would not make enough difference when pulling to have a need for subsidiary braking. That's not the issue in my books. At minimum, I would think it responsible to have an emergency breakaway system in place. This would likely save the vehicle and have a better chance at saving a life if it broke away from the coach.

Even if insurance did pay for damage, I don't think that would save you from a civil suit causing bodily harm or death. You can bet that the affected family's lawyer would be looking into every nook and cranny to prove negligence. You still may not win in a civil suit, however, having a brake system will show at least you tried to be safe in your towing practices.

In my mind, it just isn't worth the bit of money or hassle I save by not having a braking system.

Just my opinion of course.

Everyone has their reasons for doing what they do.

Yes, insurance will cover even if proven negligent. Example, No one runs a red light on purpose, it was their negligence that caused the accident. Any lawsuit brought would be a civil matter, unless a criminal act could be brought. For that, you would have to prove intent. Damaged party will most likely attempt to recover from all parties involved with the deep insurance pockets, such as the tow bar manufacturer, hitch manufacturer, etc. in addition to the primary responsible party. Sue everyone mentality. Even if I do everything right and my toad disconnects I know that if an injury results, I'm going to get sued, that's why I have lots of coverage.

With that said, there is no way I would tow without a supplemental braking system. That's just common sense when towing. Well it is to me.

Try and live up to your dogs opinion of you.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:19 PM   #269

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just bought a new Honda CRV 2014 - the last of the towable CRV's. The new tranny CVT makes it so. Its now in line to be the next tow when our 2005 is retired or sent to pasture.
ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:02 PM   #270

We will be towing a 2010 Mercury Milan hybrid and from all I have read, the hybrid CVT makes it a perfect tow vehicle. I am also looking at putting the Invisibrake on it. Did you install the Invisibrake yourself and have it installed? If so, what was the installation charge? Also, how do you have your brake and turn signal lights hooked up to the motor home? I am having a real problem finding an easy solution to this.
hstansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:07 PM   #271

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW8804 View Post
We tow a 2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid with Invisibrake. It tows perfectly. Put it in neutral, press the off button and away you go (after testing the lights etc, of course). I understand that the battery can run down, but the Invisibrake has a charger, and we've had no problems. A non-hybrid 2014 Fusion cannot be towed.

Previously, we towed a Pontiac Sunfire (same mechanicals as a Saturn) for about 60K miles. Never had even the slightest problem. The new owner is towing it now.
I think I just messed up trying to reply directly to your thread. I think it posted on the main page for "What do you tow"?
hstansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:37 PM   #272

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
2014 Ford Fiesta SE and 2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 300hp Diesel Pusher
with BlueOx Alpha tow bar...

We love the Fiesta - just put it in neutral and GO!
Purchased it Ford certified used, with warranty - and no odometer miles added when pulled four down. I did add a battery cutoff switch located
next to the battery under the hood. This allows the vehicle to not lose battery charge while towing.

We've pulled it behind our Palazzo cross country several times in the last 8 months, over 18k miles, and it still only has several hundred miles on the odometer since we bought it(grocery store, etc).
It is also one of the lightest and easiest vehicles to TOAD - we would not
even know it's there if it were not for our rear camera.
Also, because it is so light - we do not use any type of brake assist - and have never needed one, even through the many mountains of the northwest and the smokies in TN.

We've also previously used a tow dolly. Never again!

Love it : ) [photo: Chicago's McCormick Place truck marshalling yard, overnight]
Is the 2013 able to be towed 4 down?
Old 03-08-2015, 06:07 PM   #273

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
2007 Jeep Liberty Sport

We tow a Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD with auto Tranny. 4 wheels down. This is the second Jeep Liberty that we have towed. The first was a 2002 with auto trans and 4 wheels down. We have also towed a 2004 and 2008 Ford Ranger pickup both with std trannys. also a 2009 PT Cruser with STD Tranny.
Mel
Old 03-08-2015, 07:03 PM   #274

2014 certified used Ford FiestaSE
Just put in neutral and go!
(and 40mpg when not in neutral!)

2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 Bunkhouse DP
300hp Cummins, Allison trans
blueOxAlpha tow package
4bike rack on DP
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:04 PM   #275

i believe so
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 04:13 PM   #276

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Check out the 2015 Jeep Rondevous, $20,000 price range.
I have been a jeep owner forever and have never heard of this model. If you mean the new Renegade, out this year, it appearently is not towable four down. We had been anxiously awaiting this model, but now disappointed.

Unfortunately, not towable 4 down.
larryjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:47 AM   #277

Freightliner Owners Club
May be talking about the Renegade
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:41 AM   #278

what kind of problems

It might help others here if you told us about the problems you encountered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droberts9747 View Post
I've had a lot of trouble with my escape towing it for four down I'm wondering what other people use and if they've had problems using them?
searchinferu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 04:48 PM   #279

Winnebago Owners Club
We tow a 2010 Jeep Liberty. No problems, easy to shift to and from Tow mode. Would do it again.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:01 AM   #280

What Do You Tow

I tow a 2012 Ford Explorer 2wd. I tow it four wheels down with a ReadyBrake tow bar.
I've towed it for over 20k miles with no problems.
RJ
2005 Inspire #51264
ronandsue74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow