Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2012, 08:33 PM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
What is the Best tow vehicle for a NEWBY with a Class A motor home.

Hi out there. Any recommendations on a tow vehicle. I have a Damon Daybreak 32" Class A motor home. I will be looking for a good used vehicle to tow easily and safely. I have two kids 6 & 8 yrs. old, so I need enough room for 4 passengers.
Thanks Bryan
BSheehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2012, 08:50 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Lighter the better on gas. You also need to figure how you want to tow. Will it be on a trailer, four wheels down, two wheels up?
Old 08-18-2012, 09:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSheehan
Hi out there. Any recommendations on a tow vehicle. I have a Damon Daybreak 32" Class A motor home. I will be looking for a good used vehicle to tow easily and safely. I have two kids 6 & 8 yrs. old, so I need enough room for 4 passengers.
Thanks Bryan
Hi Bryan: I have a '96 allegro bay 34 ft with a ford 460 engine. I tow a 2000 ford ranger regular cab, 5 speed, 4 wheels down. The toad weighs 2900 lbs and I use the Ready Brake surge receiver/cable conduit system to the brake pedal on the toad. The coach has no trouble at all towing and the ready brake works well to help slow it down. The ready brake was inexpensive and easy to install. Just carefully follow the installation directions. Hope this helps you.
Idlemindr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:48 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
A Honda CRV or Honda Fit would be good choices. Both are relatively light and can be towed 4 down with automatic transmissions. Should be plenty of used inventory out there to choose from if you don't want to buy a new one.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:54 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We just got a 2012 GMC Terrain. Tow it four down and it worked out great. We added a trailer hitch to it for our bike rack.
troyrice76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:03 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
i have 3 choices
#1 jeep
#2 jeep
and
#3 jeep
it really is an easy tow and if your sons are like my grand sons they will find it "kooooooool"
brianj
Old 08-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Chevrolet HHR works well for many of us wanting to pull a small car with automatic transmission 4 wheels down. The last year they were produced was 2011, however, they are readily available. Who wants to tow a new vehicle anyway.......
slapfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #8

Take a good look at a mid 2000's Jeep Wrangler. Easy to set up to tow, light enough and great fun to drive.
HabitatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:33 PM   #9

Just came back from a 350 mile trip (short test run) with our new toad, 2012 Ford Focus with ReadyBrake tow bar and surge brake system. Focus 6 speed automatic tows for down in neutral with no modifications and weighs just 2900lbs. Our old 98 Chieftain Ford 6.8 V10 towed it effortlessly. Hatchback has plenty of room and is fun to drive. Its also roomy enough to take on long trips when not RVing.
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
First, are you comfortable driving that thing yet? Take it on the highway, spend a few hours driving it at speed. Get used to semis. Get used to passing others and being passed. Get used to construction zones where the lanes narrow.

Done that? Then tow!

My "cheap" suggestion is a 1996-2000 Toyota Rav4 manual. 2wd or 4wd, doesn't matter. It'll hold 4, doesn't cost much, generally reliable, common motor non-interference motor, low 20mph.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:59 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider
First, are you comfortable driving that thing yet? Take it on the highway, spend a few hours driving it at speed. Get used to semis. Get used to passing others and being passed. Get used to construction zones where the lanes narrow.

Done that? Then tow!

My "cheap" suggestion is a 1996-2000 Toyota Rav4 manual. 2wd or 4wd, doesn't matter. It'll hold 4, doesn't cost much, generally reliable, common motor non-interference motor, low 20mph.
Is the RAV4 towable four wheels down?
Old 08-19-2012, 09:00 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Very hard to beat the Honda CR-V Consumer ratings, safety ratings, resale value, frequency of repair, economy, it has been rated a best buy every year of production. I feel it is a really good car for a small family like yours. Roomy, silky smooth engine and transmission, easy to tow and use as a full time vehicle as well. Haul your kids and all their stuff easy.

Check it out.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:39 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW5000DRIVER View Post
Is the RAV4 towable four wheels down?
Note the requirement for a manual transmission version.

Apparently some of the automatics older than 2002 were listed as towable by Toyota, but I'd dig deeper to verify before I tried it... that's generally true of anything with an automatic transmission though.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:57 PM   #14

I vote for the Jeep Wrangler. I've towed a 97 and now a 2001 both automatics. Easy to tow and agreed fun when you get there. Now looking at the newer JK 4 door Jeep Wrangler.
OlyJerry is offline   Reply With Quote