Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2018, 03:44 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
Lots of good responses here. Thanks.

The Smart Car is cool, but I don't want to use a trailer.
If I didn't have the motorcycle on the back already I could have probably carried that car on my Hydralift.

I'm thinking of trading in my Infiniti (maybe CarMax) and then getting something new or slightly-used that is four-wheels down towable. Also must be automatic so wife can drive it.

I'm making a list (off the 2018 Motorhomes Towing guide) and have a couple on my short list now (I'll go back and reread this thread and see if I missed anything).

In my price range and with features I like (and "new model year" starting prices under $25K): although I have not seen/driven these really small cars in person.

Chevy Cruze, Sonic, Spark, Malibu*
Ford C-Max, Fiesta, Focus, Taurus*
Jeep Wrangler, Cherokee*

* not considered small to me - but fits my needs and probably more comfortable to drive.

None of the jap cars (toyota, nissan, honda) allow 4-wheel towing with their automatic transmissions.
Be careful with picking a automatic, you can't tow a Spark that is an automatic, just stick.
gljurczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2018, 05:02 AM   #30

One thing, you have to decide what you will use the toad for. I didn't need a jeep I don't go 4 wheel driving. I don't need a big car because I just use it to do some sightseeing and going to the store, so really I'm not using it for long periods of time, that is why we choose a Spark. Not the most comfortable car but it light 2400#, great on gas and will get me from a to b. The Stick shift is a pita at my age but the price was right 2018 at 12,500.00. I didn't even get power windows. So there's a lot of choices out there and it will depend on your needs. Just something to think about. Good luck in your research.
gljurczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 05:07 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for pointing out that the Chevy Spark with "auto trans" cant be towed. I'll cross that off my list.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 05:16 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
One thing, you have to decide what you will use the toad for. I didn't need a jeep I don't go 4 wheel driving. I don't need a big car because I just use it to do some sightseeing and going to the store, so really I'm not using it for long periods of time, that is why we choose a Spark. Not the most comfortable car but it light 2400#, great on gas and will get me from a to b. The Stick shift is a pita at my age but the price was right 2018 at 12,500.00. I didn't even get power windows. So there's a lot of choices out there and it will depend on your needs. Just something to think about. Good luck in your research.
I want a Toad to go shopping, out to dinner, sightseeing, and to get to local destinations when camping.

Initially I wasn't planning on using it for daily driving - but now I am considering getting a Toad that I can use as daily driver at home (drive it to work, etc.). Why pay for insurance (etc.) on vehicle if it is going to sit for months out of each year. So now I'm thinking about something a little bigger than I first posted I was looking for.
The Chevy Malibu or Jeep Cherokee (maybe Buick Envision or Chevy Equinox) might be a better fit, and more comfortable, if I use this as a daily driver too. Now that I found the Motorhome Dingy guide, I see lots of choices. I'd still like to keep weight as low as possible.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 02:46 PM   #33

We are setting up out 2017 Chevy Sonic hatchback, under 3000# and recommended for toads!
mikeh2obury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:38 PM   #34

Quote:
I'm thinking about getting Toad - but I want something that can be towed 4-wheels down (no dolly). Also must have automatic transmission so wife can drive it.

This is my wish list:
1) small and light weight (under 5,000 lbs, ideally)
2) automatic transmission
3) Air conditioning

I flat-tow a 2009 smart. Meets all your conditions.

Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:46 PM   #35
Community Moderator

Quote:

Chevy Cruze, Sonic, Spark, Malibu*
Ford C-Max, Fiesta, Focus, Taurus*
Jeep Wrangler, Cherokee*
I am driving a C-Max Energi, a very easy 4-down toad. It runs about 26 miles per full charge, after that it'll automatically kick in gas engine. When on electric, it counts as 999 mpg. When on gas engine, it typically gets 40 mpg. Overall, I am hanging in 80-120 mpg range. It's an amazing compact car with a big head room and high ceiling, but not many people know it.

The hybrid version runs on engine only with assistance of electric during kickoff. It does not need to pull #9 fuse as oppose to Energi version it does. And the hybrid version has a larger cargo area. Both are good toads.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 03:08 PM   #36

Smart car

I flat tow mine all over the country and when I get in a tight spot and have to back it up I have no problem backing it up hook to the motorhome just need to make sure the steering wheel as bungee cords holding it.
woodtouch6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 03:25 PM   #37

smallest car with all four on the ground that I know of.

2 door Fiat but has to be a manual, if going to tow automatic you need locking 4WD! and then you put your tranny into park and 4x4 into N. that is about the only way with automatic. If you tow your automatic in N and do not have the 4wd lockout Mechanism your asking for a new Transmission and they will not cover it on warranty. So ready your Manual on towing.
Peter
studesrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 03:34 PM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
Not the smallest, and getting a bit old, but the Ford Escape Hybrid through 2012 makes a terrific toad. About 3800 lbs, and can be towed four down with its CVT.
Old 11-22-2018, 03:37 PM   #39

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Smallest (Length) / Auto / 4 Down / LTE 5,000 lbs

For us it was a basic 2 door Jeep Wrangler 4x4 automatic. We have towed a Honda CRV auto 4 down also. Honda CRV automatics used to be towable four down until a few years ago, but they are longer (albeit lighter) than a 2dr Jeep. I used to tow a Mini Cooper 4 down also; it was lighter and even shorter, but was not an automatic.
Ceratto's Grotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 03:58 PM   #40

We tow a 2017 Chevrolet Sonic. Super easy and no problems
wrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 04:22 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have been towing a 2016 Ford C-Max Hybrid, it fits your requirements. Under 4000 lbs, automatic transmission, 38.6mpg according to its built in computer, we have towed it about 20,000 miles.
Old 11-22-2018, 04:41 PM   #42

I just upgraded from a 5th wheel to a Class A last week, my first motorhome. I did a lot of research on what vehicle I would tow behind it. I ended up buying a 2014 Ford Fiesta Titanium. For 2014, it is the lightest automatic listed in the 2014 Guide to Dinghy Towing at 2,578 pounds. There were a few that were lighter, but they only had standard transmissions listed and my wife won’t drive them so I went with this Fiesta. I am going to install the base plate tomorrow and then I’ll be ready to flat tow. I wanted to buy the lightest toad I could buy to put the least amount of added stress on the RV motor, RV transmission and RV chassis. When I went out to west Texas last week to get it at over 600 miles away, we drove the Fiesta and rented a U-Haul tow dolly to get it back home and could truly not tell at all it was back there. I’m no expert but that’s my story. Good luck!
ArtTruex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, toad, tow, test