Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
What kind of brakes for Toad????

I had new RoadMaster brackets installed on our toad and will be installing brakes next. Are there any opinions on the type of brakes I should install? I have googled this and have came up with two main types. The physical hydraulic type pump that is affixed to the brake peddle and the air type that installs to the brake fluid reservoir. AND what price have you paid to have your brakes installed or (for the do-it-yourselvers) are they easy to install yourself?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2013, 12:18 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
My own personal preference is the M&G Engineering Braking System which involves insertion of the actuator between the master cylinder and the vacuum chamber plus a small air tank reservoir for the break-away system on your Jeep. A "T" fitting is spliced into one of the service air lines on the back axle of the coach and ran to back bumper. The only thing you do to hook it up is connect the air line between the coach and the Jeep, apply the service brakes for one minute to fill the break-away reservoir tank and away you go. No calibration (that was done during installation), no muss, no fuss.

I tried the Brake Buddy (another physical hydraulic type that attaches to the brake pedal of the Jeep) and hated it. Every time we hooked up the Jeep to tow it had to be calibrated and adjusted plus the power wires to the accessory outlet and power wires for the break-away switch. Not to mention that it doesn't fit the floor pan of the Jeep properly due to it's odd shape. It was just an all-around PIA.

This just my own opinion. I'm sure there will be others.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:41 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the advice Craig R. (seem funny typing that.....I'm also a Craig R) The M&G web site did look like a simpler way to hook the toad up without much hassle. I think it costs a few dollars more, but less expensive than buying one brake set-up and tearing it out for another.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by csrrsr View Post
Thanks for the advice Craig R. (seem funny typing that.....I'm also a Craig R) The M&G web site did look like a simpler way to hook the toad up without much hassle. I think it costs a few dollars more, but less expensive than buying one brake set-up and tearing it out for another.
Have a break buddy and it is a pain.Lot to hook up and it is always running my battery dead.To expensive to change so will stay with it.Working on getting the quirks out of it.
wildcatervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I started with the "brake in a box" and when it failed I had the SMI unit installed. The SMI is so simple to use that I wish I had it installed first.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:35 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
I was torn between a Roadmaster Even Brake (brake in a box) and the Ready Brake I ended up going with the Even Brake as I thought I'd be switching it between 3 vehicles. The box went back to Roadmaster within a few months for an air leak, after 45 days (on a "30 day turnaround") I got back a different unit, probably a remanufactured one. This box occasionally engages in phantom braking, i.e. applying the toad brakes for no reason even while the coach is accelerating, hitting the coach brakes stops it but I never can tell when or if it's going to do it.

My recommendation is go with one that attaches to your coach's air brakes or go with a Ready Brake.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I started with the "brake in a box" and when it failed I had the SMI unit installed. The SMI is so simple to use that I wish I had it installed first.
X2. I've had the SMI for four years. Easy to use and effective.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:01 PM   #8

I have had my Brake Buddy for 12 years, and I love it.
Used it in a small Saturn, and now my 2012 Wrangler. Fits perfectly. No power drain either. 30 seconds to install.
Just sayin....
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I have had my Brake Buddy for 12 years, and I love it.
Used it in a small Saturn, and now my 2012 Wrangler. Fits perfectly. No power drain either. 30 seconds to install.
Just sayin....
30 seconds ? Really ? Just asking ?
Cliff

Old 02-27-2013, 04:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post

30 seconds ? Really ? Just asking ?
Cliff
Yep. Slide seat back. Set BB in. Hook arm on brake pedal. Move seat fwd. Plug in pwr and breakaway plugs. Done.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Cool. The SMI requires a flip of a toggle switch , period.
Cliff

Old 02-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the Ready Brute tow bar with the Ready Brake, its fast to hook up/unhook, simple to use, you don't need to move any box in/out of the toad and it cost much less than many other systems. Good Luck.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Cool. The SMI requires a flip of a toggle switch , period.
Cliff
Braggart! ;-)
It was what I got back when, Cliff.
Lucky you! While I blow away 1/2 a minute about once a month!
Cheers!
Old 02-27-2013, 07:48 PM   #14
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Go US Gear. The most simple hookup - 2 wires (one plug). Totally proportional and adjustable from within the coach as you are driving.

Tags
brakes, toad