Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2019, 10:43 PM   #15
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I use the standard 7 plug on the coach to a 6 pin round on the toad. Never set one up, without having a spare wire or two in your umbilical cord. You may want to add, at a later time, a battery charge wire or dash indicator light letting you know that the brakes are being applied.

I like using the round connectors that have the "catch" on them where the door lifts up and locks the plug into place.

I run the coiled type umbilical as I also run an airline for my brakes and emergency breakaway cable. I route those through the coils.

Now for measuring......You need to connect your toad to the coach as you normally would for a trip. Check the length making sure you have room for full right and left hand turns. You're biggest concern is that the routing of the umbilical is not going to catch or snag on any other component. Sometimes, this takes some experimenting to make sure you have the best routing. If you use the coiled type, it should stay off the ground, yet give you the slack you need.

I've been RVing for 40+ years and towing a toad for the last fifteen. Between changing coaches and vehicles, I've had to buy a different umbilical on a couple of occasions. I keep my towing gear in one of those Harbor Freight canvas duffle bags. I keep an extra (old) umbilical as a spare. I also keep a pair of gloves, extra tow bar pin, tow bar lube and other towing related goodies in the bag.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2019, 09:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I use the standard 7 plug on the coach to a 6 pin round on the toad. Never set one up, without having a spare wire or two in your umbilical cord. You may want to add, at a later time, a battery charge wire or dash indicator light letting you know that the brakes are being applied.

I like using the round connectors that have the "catch" on them where the door lifts up and locks the plug into place.

I run the coiled type umbilical as I also run an airline for my brakes and emergency breakaway cable. I route those through the coils.

Now for measuring......You need to connect your toad to the coach as you normally would for a trip. Check the length making sure you have room for full right and left hand turns. You're biggest concern is that the routing of the umbilical is not going to catch or snag on any other component. Sometimes, this takes some experimenting to make sure you have the best routing. If you use the coiled type, it should stay off the ground, yet give you the slack you need.

I've been RVing for 40+ years and towing a toad for the last fifteen. Between changing coaches and vehicles, I've had to buy a different umbilical on a couple of occasions. I keep my towing gear in one of those Harbor Freight canvas duffle bags. I keep an extra (old) umbilical as a spare. I also keep a pair of gloves, extra tow bar pin, tow bar lube and other towing related goodies in the bag.
Thanks Don and all for the help.
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:06 AM   #17
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarpusher View Post
Ha, I was waiting for that comment.

A new longer coiled lanyard is arriving from Amazon tomorrow before the first trip.
Fixed the short breakaway cable. 😀
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3F0B10CA-C9EE-4B4E-8057-C9254E084EB6.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	658.5 KB
ID:	241809  
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 04:56 PM   #18

I use the 7 wire plug on both ends. They are just better made in my opinion.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light