Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2020, 02:50 PM   #43

Forest River Owners Club
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. Relatively light weight, flat towable, provides good daily car drive. Provides room to take another couple to see sites as well as storage room.
Texas John is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2020, 02:53 PM   #44

Toad

We tow a Grand Cherokee behind our2017 43ft HR Scepter, just need to make sure it has the Active drive 2 transmission no limit on how fast or how long you tow it. CRV's were good to till they went to the CVT in 2015.
Mrmberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 03:13 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome View Post
There is always room for discussion regarding TOADS.

Why did you pick your brand

What motorhome are you currently towing it with.

Also what type of towing equipment do you have eg; baseplate, tow bar, brake controller (why or why not)

I'll start:

We have have a 2015 Equinox LT AWD and we had no intentions of towing this when we bought it as we did not have an RV.
We purchased a 2008 Invitation 40ft DP in Aug this year and really enjoy it.
Luckily the Equinox is towable with only removing one fuse.
I am in the process of wiring the tail lights, installing a Blue Ox base plate and have the blue ox aluminum tow bar. I also purchased a used Patriot brake.
This will be our 4th class A towing a vehicle.
Like Chrome when I bought my 2014 Toyota Tacoma. 2 years ago we bought another motorhome. I had the Tacoma converted with a Superior Drive line disconnect. Adding a base plate it came to about $2000. I already had a blue ox tow bar and Brake Buddy from a previous coach. it was the best thing I have ever done. The tOAD is very smooth and easy to connect and disconnect the drive line. The Tacoma 4cyl is a great truck with 20 mpg in town and 25 on the road. Good luck Lee and Margie Biloxi, MS
losone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 03:16 PM   #46

2016 Chevy Colorado 4WD behind 2014 Itasca Sunstar 31ke Blue Ox base plate and tow Bar. RVI brake controller. We are full time so we haul the motorcycles in the truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180102_144041.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	249.0 KB
ID:	309402   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180102_144118.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	288.0 KB
ID:	309403  

LSGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 03:18 PM   #47

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a 2005 Georgetown SE and were looking for something to tow that was 1) manual shift 2) 4-door 3)light weight 4) fuel efficient 5) affordable (should have been #1). I purchased a 2011 Kia Soul + (models are base, +, and !), 5 speed. Roadmaster base plate, Falcon All Terrain tow bar (used). No braking system needed because the weight of the car is under 3000 lbs. Georgetown doesn't act like it knows it's back there and it meets all the criteria. 68k on it when we bought it for less than $5000. Great little car!
Thewheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 03:21 PM   #48

Rexhall Owners Group
Bought a Jeep because we could pull it 4 down. I would have preferred a small pickup but deferred to the DW's desire to have a Jeep. She loves having the Jeep. To me, it's just another vehicle that we use to explore the areas we visit. Since we don't belong to any off-road stuff, it's really more for show than anything else.
garyb1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 03:27 PM   #49

We got our first toad this Summer. We’ve had our 2012 Newmar Ventana LE for 3 years. We decided to start looking for a toad last year. We had very few options. I now know why we got such a good deal on the Newmar. This particular one had little room up to the GVWR - 4000 lbs! Really limits your choices. We needed to stay under 3000 to be able to take everything. Finally, we found our answer! We stumbled onto the fact a Mini Cooper manual transmission can be flat towed. I found a 2010 Mini Convertible in great condition. We love it. Our RV is named Harvey. Harvey the RV. My wife had to name the Toad, also. Kermit, of course!
TennRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 03:41 PM   #50

We chose a 2008 Honda CR-V, we tow it with a Phaeton DP. We’re currently using the Roadmaster tow bar and tow plate. I chose Roadmaster based on input from several friends using Roadmaster equipment. Our braking system is a Demco plug and play set up. Really like this brake system. My coach charges the toad battery while traveling.
HD539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 03:55 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome View Post
There is always room for discussion regarding TOADS.

Why did you pick your brand

What motorhome are you currently towing it with.

Also what type of towing equipment do you have eg; baseplate, tow bar, brake controller (why or why not)

I'll start:

We have have a 2015 Equinox LT AWD and we had no intentions of towing this when we bought it as we did not have an RV.
We purchased a 2008 Invitation 40ft DP in Aug this year and really enjoy it.
Luckily the Equinox is towable with only removing one fuse.
I am in the process of wiring the tail lights, installing a Blue Ox base plate and have the blue ox aluminum tow bar. I also purchased a used Patriot brake.
This will be our 4th class A towing a vehicle.
My Toad is a 2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner SR5 Automatic Transmission. Most tow guides say the Tacoma is not Towable. I had a Drive shaft disconnect installed and by pulling a handle inside the cab, the driveshaft is disconnected
krudawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 03:57 PM   #52

We have 2019 Tiffin Phaeton 40 AH DP we purchased new. We selected this RV after 2 new Thor Class A's with way too many problems! Toad is 2020 Equinox Premier AWD. Already have 2010 Equinox that is still a great car. But I did not to spend money for base plate and aux brake for a 10 year car. The new baseplate purchased is a Roadmaster just because the Blue Ox I wanted was on backorder due to Covid. Tow bar is Blue Ox I purchased five years ago for the Thor RV and it connected to a 2010 HHR, until I totaled the car. The aux brake is Air Force One that I found from my research to be best unit available for air brakes. It only requires a small plug in air line from the RV to the toad. It is self contained under the hood except for a small air cylinder that always stays connected to the brake pedal. No set up to use, no switches, and no adjustments after it is installed. The Equinox is also easy, just put in AWD by punching one button and leave car in neutral. Also turn off radio and headlight off automatic so you don't run down the battery. We just got back from a 2300 mile east coast trip and the toad, tow bar, and aux brake are so simple my wife hooks it many times. To hook it up only takes 3-4 minutes tops.
We Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 04:00 PM   #53

Ford Super Duty Owner
TOAD

Tow a 2013 GMC AWD Terrain 4-down with a Hurricane 32D. Works great. Installed cutout switch on fuse. Now a simple operation.

Old 11-26-2020, 04:02 PM   #54

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Toad

Had 3 toads, starting of towing with Itasca Sunrise 32 ft towing 2003 CRV with a standard transmission. My bad knee did not like using a clutch so after 3 years upgraded to a 2008 GMC Canyon 4x4 crew. Having pulled a fifth wheel for 15 plus years I missed having a truck. Found Canyon hard pulling for the Itasca and found it wandering quite a bit, new tires and wheel alignments didn't seem to help much. Started looking for another CRV and in the process stumbled on a Suzuki GV and having spoken to another Suzuki owner included it in my search. Come across a 2008 Suzuki and the rest is history. It is easy to set up, just put the transfer case in neutral and go. Suzuki recommends starting it up about every 250 miles but Suzuki repair shop says you can easily go 400. I have remote start and start it when we stop for lunch if we are on a long trip.

Have used a Blue Ox Aventa II 10,000 lb. tow bar from the outset with Blue ox Base plate, doing installs myself, and a Brake Buddy Vantage Select Have since upgraded to a 38 ft Newmar Kountry Star DP and don't even know the Suzuki is even there, thank goodness for backup cameras. Still lots of Suzuki's and parts out there and have no regrets with this purchase, sold well built car.
ArtDeCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 04:03 PM   #55

Texas Boomers Club
We tow a 2014 Jeep grand Cherokee behind a 2016 Newmar Ventana 4037. Blue ox base plate and towbar. Airforce one break system.
Toes like a dream.
skeetshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 04:03 PM   #56

I chose the Subaru Forester with 6 speed manual transmission. Blue Ox adapter with Blue Ox Aventa II tow bar. As MarylandRich stated, no special hookups and very simple. With all wheel drive, a good height and independent suspension it's very utilitarian as well. I pull it with a 40 ft. Alpine Coach problem free so far.
Top Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad