Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2020, 12:03 PM   #127

We tow a 1996 Geo Tracker w/5 speed manual trans. Jayco Melbourne/Mercedes 25ft.
MPG reduced about 15% with tow.
jimbertch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2020, 12:19 PM   #128

Our choice for a toad boiled down to comfort and good gas mileage while providing adequate room inside. I started looking at SUV's under 5000 lbs and settled on the 2018 Ford Explorer 4x4 Platinum. While at the Ford Dealer, I asked the sales guy to show me in the owners manual where it says the vehicle can be towed "four on the floor" behind and RV. He brought me a copy of the manual page saying just that!

We had a Blue Ox baseplate and wiring kit installed by LazyDays RV in Tampa on the Explorer, which required us to drop off the Explorer for an entire day. The braking system inside the Explorer is a Blue Ox Patriot II. They installed a battery cutoff for me under the hood, and an extra 12volt plug under the dash, which is wired directly to the battery, to power the Patriot II when under tow. The coach alternator keeps the battery in the Explorer charged up while being towed .

We picked up the coach and toad the next day and have been very happy with our selection of toad and towing equipment. While driving down the road in the coach, I hardly even notice the Explorer...except when I glance at the rearview camera to make sure it is OK!

I understand now the 2020 Ford Explorer is no longer certified for towing "four on the floor" behind an RV. Shame.......
armullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 01:56 PM   #129

2006 Mazda 5 Manual
Blue Ox Bar
Electric Brakes

On the scale its 3120 Lbs empty. Have owned other Mazda 5's as daily drivers, solid, reliable and fun to drive. Two folded recumbent trikes fit in, we take them everywhere.

Sprinter C class so weight was a consideration. Even more so after the MB Dealer forced a software update that chopped 18% off the torque curve.

Bought it used with low mileage came with burglar alarm and matching paint color to the Sprinter (Thor Siesta 24).
IMSAGTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 02:29 PM   #130

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by armullis View Post
They installed a battery cutoff for me under the hood, and an extra 12volt plug under the dash, which is wired directly to the battery, to power the Patriot II when under tow. The coach alternator keeps the battery in the Explorer charged up while being towed.
If you're using a battery cutoff, how is the coach's alternator charging the battery? And, if the coach's alternator is charging the battery why bother with a battery cutoff?
Old 11-28-2020, 03:30 PM   #131

Monaco Owners Club
Base Plate failure

We have been towing a 2007 Mercury Mariner Hybrid. The car was perfect for towing and no fuses to pull and no speed limit or mileage restrictions. I had a Blue Ox base plate and tow bar. the braking system was I think Roadmaster which was tied into the coaches air system.
Two weeks ago we were coming back from a weeks trip to the Borrego Springs in SoCal. I have made this trip many times over the last few years. The road is quite rough in some areas and I was traveling about 35mph when a gentleman in a pick up passed me honking and waving. I thought he was upset that I was going slow but realized he wanted me to pull over. I pulled over and walked to the back of the motorhome and all that was behind me was a base plate and front bumper. The Mariner was no longer attached The gentleman that pulled me over told me the car was about 5 miles back and was lying on its side. I turned around and went back and there was the Mariner in a ditch on its side, it had rolled over several times. We were fortunate that it is a quiet road and no one was hurt. The car was a total loss.
The base plate ends were still bolted tight to the frame but the welds that hold it to the ends both failed. The breakaway and safety chins were still attached to the failed part. I will be glad when 2020 is over !!
Attached Images

nutensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:11 PM   #132

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutensteve View Post
I pulled over and walked to the back of the motorhome and all that was behind me was a base plate and front bumper. The Mariner was no longer attached The gentleman that pulled me over told me the car was about 5 miles back and was lying on its side. I turned around and went back and there was the Mariner in a ditch on its side, it had rolled over several times. We were fortunate that it is a quiet road and no one was hurt. The car was a total loss.
The base plate ends were still bolted tight to the frame but the welds that hold it to the ends both failed. The breakaway and safety chins were still attached to the failed part. I will be glad when 2020 is over !!
Wow! Sorry about your bad luck. I hope your insurance company came through for you.

I have made my own attachments and brackets for my Ranger. I have a hard time trusting any of the factory made base plates, and attaching components.

I built many heavy truck components from scratch, and am comfortable with my ability to weld up my own.

I suppose it would be a good idea for everyone to check your tow system now and then.

Thanks for sharing your exeriance.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 08:06 AM   #133

Winnebago Owners Club
2015 Subaru Forester with standard transmission. Subaru said you could flat tow the standard shift models. We had to special order the car as it was difficult to find one with a manual transmission. Subaru stopped offering a manual transmission in the Forester in 2018.

I bought it because of the AWD and my experience with Subarus as dependable, reasonably priced cars.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:22 AM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome View Post
There is always room for discussion regarding TOADS.

Why did you pick your brand

What motorhome are you currently towing it with.

Also what type of towing equipment do you have eg; baseplate, tow bar, brake controller (why or why not)

I'll start:

We have have a 2015 Equinox LT AWD and we had no intentions of towing this when we bought it as we did not have an RV.
We purchased a 2008 Invitation 40ft DP in Aug this year and really enjoy it.
Luckily the Equinox is towable with only removing one fuse.
I am in the process of wiring the tail lights, installing a Blue Ox base plate and have the blue ox aluminum tow bar. I also purchased a used Patriot brake.
This will be our 4th class A towing a vehicle.
We have have a 2007 Lexus GX470 Purchased to be the Toad

We purchased a 2005 Travel Supreme 42DS04 in 2004 and have enjoyed it for 16 years.

Luckily the GX470 is towable by just putting the drive in neutral.

I have wired it as suggested by Blue Ox and have a BO Base plate and Tow Bar.

This will be our 3rd Toad - Suzuki - 140,000 miles - MDX - 350,000 miles - GX470 - 115,000 miles -

Why the GX - mainly it is comfortable on the Highway and on the 4x4 Trails - doesn't hurt that it is almost timeless as a Toad and easily pulls out all those Jeeps that get Stuck - -

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 08:49 AM   #135

Thor Owners Club
Base plate failed

Had a guy who had been full time since 1992 tell me when I first started out to always turn my back up camera on when I’m traveling so you can check on your toad frequently. Guess that was great advice
Gezzers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:45 AM   #136

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutensteve View Post
We have been towing a 2007 Mercury Mariner . I pulled over and walked to the back of the motorhome and all that was behind me was a base plate and front bumper. The Mariner was no longer attached The gentleman that pulled me over told me the car was about 5 miles back and was lying on its side. I turned around and went back and there was the Mariner in a ditch on its side, it had rolled over several times. We were fortunate that it is a quiet road and no one was hurt. The car was a total loss.
Very happy to hear that no one was injured or worse killed. You were fortunate.
Glad it was a good outcome, but unfortunate your car was destroyed.
Who would have thought?
Chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 12:52 PM   #137

Our choice was a 2021 tahoe for comfort and easy hook-up. Air Force One for braking and definitely Blue Ox for ease of hook up and reliability.
Les Chermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 01:49 PM   #138

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Toad is a 2019 Chevy Equinox with blue ox baseplate and readybrute elite with break away cable. I chose it because I needed to replace my Chevy Cruze manual trans, for an automatic SUV.
Towing with my 04 triple e Comander 8.1 lt
njoylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 01:58 PM   #139

I'm on my third Suzuki GV, its a 2012. Also, had a 2002 and 2006. Gave the 2002 to a niece for a daily driver. The '06 got totaled from a rear end collision, not while towing. I like the GV because ease of setup procedure, plus the side opening rear door makes it easy stow and retrieve the portable braking unit, etc. Use Demco towbar and baseplate and Evenbrake portable braking system with diode controlled lighting system.

Our son has a reservation for the new Ford Bronco when it comes out next year. Wel'll set it up to tow so we can take it along for some off road explorations.
Old 11-29-2020, 05:24 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Chermak View Post
Our choice was a 2021 tahoe for comfort and easy hook-up. Air Force One for braking and definitely Blue Ox for ease of hook up and reliability.

Any regrets as to the weight of the Tahoe pulling with your DS? I currently pull a GMC Canyon, but seriously considering the Tahoe. The extra weight has me wondering however. Appreciate your experience in pulling it.
Granite17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad