RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-15-2020, 06:15 PM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
What make of TOAD and WHY

There is always room for discussion regarding TOADS.

Why did you pick your brand

What motorhome are you currently towing it with.

Also what type of towing equipment do you have eg; baseplate, tow bar, brake controller (why or why not)

I'll start:

We have have a 2015 Equinox LT AWD and we had no intentions of towing this when we bought it as we did not have an RV.
We purchased a 2008 Invitation 40ft DP in Aug this year and really enjoy it.
Luckily the Equinox is towable with only removing one fuse.
I am in the process of wiring the tail lights, installing a Blue Ox base plate and have the blue ox aluminum tow bar. I also purchased a used Patriot brake.
This will be our 4th class A towing a vehicle.
Chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2020, 06:33 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
We had a new 2006 Liberty first. Bought it because 1) it was below our hitch rating, 2) DH fit in it (long legs), 3) it required no pulling fuses/no limit to tow time/no speed limits & 4) I could drive it because it was an automatic transmission. Dragged it around with our Bounder for 12 years. In the end, we were having more problems with it than it was worth repairing. Bought a used 2014 CRV-EXL next, for the same reasons. Turned out it was 500lbs lighter than the Liberty & a less stiff ride. We're dragging it behind our Phaeton now. We upgraded the battery in it (Odyssey) for longer amp hours while towing it.

We got a Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain towbar set up because that's what the dealer for our Bounder had in stock when we needed one. I've read many posts here of people having issues with other mfr tow bars so I'm glad we got what we got.

We first got a Brake Buddy Classic in 2006 because we didn't do a lot of research on the different kinds. A few years later we stayed with BB because we liked it, but upgraded to the Vantage Select so we could have the proportional braking. We've had no issues with it in the 11 years we owned it so, until it craps out on us, we'll continue to use our BBVS.
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 06:37 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We had three Honda Accords that we towed for several years, but as we got older we found it difficult to get in and out of them. We decided to get a Honda CRV which we found to be the perfect size and height for us.

We use the NSA ReadyBrute Elite towbars with built-in ReadyBrake, along with an NSA breakaway kit.
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 06:38 PM   #4

My TOAD

We tow a 2011 Jeep Compass. It's a five speed manual, and we bought it specifically for towing behind our motorhome.

I added a baseplate, and went with the Blue Ox tow bar and (portable) Patriot Brake system. Both systems have worked great over the last five years.

The 5 speed Jeep Compass is super easy to set up and tow. No fuses to remove, no special gear settings - just put it in neutral and go.

It seats 5 (small) human beings if needed, and the back hatch with the ability to put the rear seats down really comes in handy for those larger items at the grocery store. We also use the back end as the "indoor garage" for our e-bikes.

Ultimately we love this TOAD, even though it is a bit sluggish with its four cylinder engine. For towing, it is super light, and we hardly know it's back there.

-allen
29pt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 06:52 PM   #5

Went with a 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. Iím not a Jeep guy but the are super easy to tow. Looked at the Wrangler and no doubt they are cool but weíre down to one car so we wanted something we could take long day trips in and be comfortable for all day driving.
We got the elite package that gives you heated and cooled seats, heated steering wheel and every other bell and whistle that makes for a very nice vehicle.
Went with Blue Ox baseplate and tow bar. Airforce One for breaking and thatís super convenient for easy set up.
wjohnson913 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 07:42 PM   #6

Over the past 20 years we have towed two Chrysler Town & Country's, one Honda Accord, and the most recent were a 2009 Honda CRV and a 2014 Honda CRV. I installed M&G Engineering toad brake systems in all of them, and I've always used Blue Ox products.

Our CRV's are easy to set up for a tow and they just fit us to a T.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 07:45 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Bought a Ford C-Max because it is towable 4 down. Falcon tow bar with Invis-a-Brake. I like a permanently installed brake system for convenience. Bonus, it charges the battery from the coach connection. Like the car because it is very much like my Escape for room and amenities. It is like a CRV in that it is higher than a sedan for sliding in and out. Tows easy.
RI Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 07:50 PM   #8

Towing a dodge dart. Hook up and tow....no fuses to pull, no key in ignition, nothing special to do, no limit on tow distance. Pull with renegade verona using roadmaster tow stuff.
netjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 07:54 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
We're on our second Jeep Wrangler because they are FUN and super easy to tow. Towing them first with an Itasca gas coach, then an Allegro RED and now a Phaeton. Demco base plate, Mopar wiring harness, M&G braking system and a Demco Excalibar II tow bar.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 08:31 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
We tow a 2020 Jeep Cherokee Trail Hawk behind our DP using a Blue-ox set up with a Air Force 1 brake system.

It is towed 4 wheel down and is very easy to hook up.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 08:39 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Towing a 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 70th Anniversary Edition. Wanted to move from a dolly to flat towing plus always wanted a Jeep soft top. My wife saw this one at a dealer and it was already outfitted with a Blue Ox baseplate as well as wired in lights, etc. towed it with my 2017 Coachmen Leprechaun for a year, now using my 2019 Coachmen Mirada. Went with the full Blue Ox towing outfit - tow bar (Aventa) and the Patriot II brake unit.

Love the ease of hooking and unhooking, no dolly to deal with and hardly know itís there!
2019 Coachmen Mirada 35BH; 2017 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MBS (Traded); 2015 Coachmen Freelander 32BH (Traded); 2011 Coachmen Freelander 31SS (Traded); 2005 TrailCruiser 30SS (Traded); 1999 Forest River Flagstaff (25') (Traded)
Jcf0527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 08:42 PM   #12

We tow a 2016 Subaru Forester with a manual transmission. Chose it for the interior room, AWD and it's 8.25" ground clearance. No fuses to mess with and the battery is charged from our motor home.
Installed a Blue Ox base plate and tow with the Blue Ox Avail towbar and Air Force 1 breaking system.
dougfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 08:45 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We tow a 2014 Honda CRV. This year is the last year that is towable for Honda as they went to the CVT. I have an Invisibrake permanently installed in the rear compartment. I have a Blue Ox tow bar and 10k Blue Ox base plate. This is our second CRV. I have installed a fused switch to turn off the fuse that Honda recommends pulling when towing.
I also have replaced the small battery that came with the Honda with a larger battery.

It tows very well.
inlineskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 09:05 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
First toad and still used some of the time is a 2012 Ford Fusion hybrid. Second toad is a 2010 Ford Ranger manual trans which was purchased in 2014 so i could put the harley in the bed using a rampage lift.

Roadmester Falcon 2 tow bar.

RVI 2 auxillary brake
2006 Georgie Boy Pursuit 31'
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad