Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2023, 05:13 PM   #1

What to do with the tow bar?

We flat tow a Jeep with the Roadmaster Nighthawk tow bar, but I am not sure whether to leave the tow bar on the RV when not towing, or whether to remove it and keep it in the garage.

We generally take a trip every 3-4 weeks, some only for 1 or 2 days, some for up to 3-4 weeks, but when we return I don't know if it is best to leave the tow bar on the RV or remove it. We store our RV in covered storage, but the back of the RV sticks out from under the roof since the space is only 25 feet, as is our RV without the tow bar.

We keep the tow bar inside 2 covers to try to protect it, but it still gets the Arizona sun in the summer and the rains during our rainy season. We try to use waterproof bags to protect it but I am not sure leaving it on the RV is the best solution.

What do those of you with this problem do when not towing? Remove it? Or leave it on the RV?
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2023, 05:37 PM   #2

I was in the same quandary 3 years ago when I started towing - Blue Ox Ascent tow bar was/is so pretty. Just take it off when it's in extended storage.

First season I took it off between trips now I just take it off during winter storage season Novemberish through February.

Mines always covered with the Blue Ox storage bag which is vented on the bottom. As long as your covers aren't trapping condensation your good. With your heat some ventilation is a good thing especially on the rubber.

I would recommend cleaning the arms and the boot with silicone spray annually and treating the boot whenever you give it a bath - there's a few YouTubes on how to maintain a towbar.

If you don't have a hitch receiver locking pin you might consider getting one to discourage theft. I've got the blue ox keyed locking pins and they're nice and waterproof, of course I've lubricated them.
ChrisDParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 05:39 PM   #3

Our Blue Ox tow bar also had a nice heavy vinyl fitted cover than snapped together. It protected the tow bar from all elements. I suspect Roadmaster has one for theirs as well.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 05:46 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
My tow bar has not been off the coach in years. No need to. I have a Roadmaster tow bar and Roadmaster makes an excellent cover which I use whenever it is subjected to the elements .
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 08:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
We flat tow a Jeep with the Roadmaster Nighthawk tow bar, but I am not sure whether to leave the tow bar on the RV when not towing, or whether to remove it and keep it in the garage.

We generally take a trip every 3-4 weeks, some only for 1 or 2 days, some for up to 3-4 weeks, but when we return I don't know if it is best to leave the tow bar on the RV or remove it. We store our RV in covered storage, but the back of the RV sticks out from under the roof since the space is only 25 feet, as is our RV without the tow bar.

We keep the tow bar inside 2 covers to try to protect it, but it still gets the Arizona sun in the summer and the rains during our rainy season. We try to use waterproof bags to protect it but I am not sure leaving it on the RV is the best solution.

What do those of you with this problem do when not towing? Remove it? Or leave it on the RV?
Well,
In reality, this is YOUR decision. Yep, the AZ sun in many cases, has the same affect on stuff like parking on the sun, HOT! The sun won't hurt the steel parts, only primarily the rubber boots and nylon washers. And the rain won't hurt them unless the powder coating/paint is chipped off. Then there's the rust thing. If your tow bar is locked on, the theft thing is probably not an issue. I say "probably" because stolen tow bars don't bring a heck of a lot of money in sales.

But, I make a few covers for stuff around our AZ home out of Sunbrella and it's great stuff. It handles our Havasu sun with great success. If you're not worried about the theft thing, then a good cover is all you need. Although, If I had to keep mine in a storage lot, I'd simply remove it and put it in a compartment. That way there's no question on preservation.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 10:21 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Always took ours off & stored it in a bay when not in use.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 09:59 AM   #7

I think either way is fine. Choose whichever makes you feel best. I leave my tow bar on the motorhome almost all the time, but typically remove it during winter storage since the snow can get higher than it.
Old 03-29-2023, 05:15 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Years ago, I had fabricated a Harbor Freight 2-wheel dolly into a holder/dolly for my tow bar. Every time we returned from a trip, I would remove it, place it on the dolly and store it in my shed. After a couple of years, I decided that it just wasn't worth the effort. Now, I leave it on and place a black trash bag over it and the cables. When I wash the coach before a trip, I remove the bag and clean the tow bar.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 07:09 PM   #9

We take ours out for the winter and put it in a shed I have seen too many drawbars get rusted into the hitch receiver, never to be removed again without the use of LOTS of heat and maybe a big press, but of which require removing the hitch from the towing vehicle. Removing and replacing it once a year makes it easy to monitor its condition.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 07:31 PM   #10

I remove mine and lay it next to the MH because if I leave it in I'd have to pull too far forward to clear the garage door and I only have about 3 feet to walk in front of it as it is! Hoping I never forget and close the door on it!
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 08:48 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When traveling I leave in on the MH. We lock it with a hitch pin lock. When home we remove unless we're heading out in a few days. I just figure weather and UV shorting the live of it.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 05:23 PM   #12

I just recently purchased a used Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 All Terranin town bar. The guy kept it on the rear of his MH, never removed it and it shows. I tore it down and stripped it down to bare metal and will repaint it as well as rebuild it.
I was using a Roadmaster stow master which is car mounted. I also bought it used but it looked like new because the guy always had it stored out of the elements.

The the new one may stay on when it goes to indoor storage, but again, that is indoors. It will also stay on the rear when on a trip.

It all depends on how you take care of it.
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 05:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
My tow bar has not been off the coach in years. No need to. I have a Roadmaster tow bar and Roadmaster makes an excellent cover which I use whenever it is subjected to the elements .
Yep, ours has been on since we bought the RV new in 2026. Cover it with the Roadmaster cover, give the tow bar a good bath and lube 2-3 times a year.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 06:30 PM   #14

I use to take mine off when I had my other m/h but don't anymore. I use the cover that came with it now and don't worry about it.

Tags
tow