Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2018, 04:23 PM   #1

What to tow

We have a 2001 Fleetwood Expedition. I am trying to decide on a vehicle to tow. We own a 2015 Jeep GC with an automatic 4WD transmission. If we stick with our Jeep GC, what all will we need to do to prepare it for flat towing. If there is a better vehicle for flat towing I would appreciate hearing your opinions. Thanks!
JAR2595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2018, 04:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAR2595 View Post
We have a 2001 Fleetwood Expedition. I am trying to decide on a vehicle to tow. We own a 2015 Jeep GC with an automatic 4WD transmission. If we stick with our Jeep GC, what all will we need to do to prepare it for flat towing. If there is a better vehicle for flat towing I would appreciate hearing your opinions. Thanks!
before you spend any $ on any vehicle you'd like to tow you'd be wise to know and understand the various weights and weight ratings of your MH and prospective toad.

in general, the maximum amount of weight you can safely tow will be the lesser of the following:

- the GCWR (gross combination weight rating) of the MH minus the actual weight of the MH (defined as the sum of the actual weights on each axle) as it is loaded for travel (includes fuel, fresh water, food, clothing, people, pets, supplies, etc.)

- the weight rating of your tow bar

- the weight rating of your hitch

this is why it's vital to know what your MH weighs as it is loaded and configure for travel before choosing a toad. Your MH will not collapse if it is overloaded but you will experience handling issues as well as longer braking distances and accelerated wear on suspension, brakes, steering, etc.

in terms of your GC....it is likely flat towable if the transfer case has a manually selectable neutral position. check your owner's manual for specifics in the 'recreational towing' section. jeeps are great toads!
Old 06-26-2018, 04:36 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

You might want to spend some time over in the "Toads & MH Towing" area of the forum.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 05:05 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Check in your owners manual for recreational towing. It will tell you whether you Jeep GC is towable.

In my case I have a neutral selection button next to my low gear selector. I follow the procedure to put it in neutral. Pretty easy to do.

I set my Jeep up myself. Bought a front tow plate and installed, it was a roadmaster plate. Not bad to install, had to remove the front bumper, position the tow plate, drill some holes, install the safety cables, put everything back together.

I installed the separate bulb sockets in each of my tail lights. By doing this I didn't have to fool with the jeeps wiring.

I also installed the Brakemaster brake system, the air plumbing was already on my coach so it was pretty straight forward.

Did this in 2010 and it has worked well ever since.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:57 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Moterhome magazine has, each year, a booklet on all auto makes, what is towable and what is not. We also tow a Jeep, 2014 GC. The running gear is such that we are able to tow it. Not all GCs are.
Gsgarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:00 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Before I bought a Jeep GC, I'd check the status of the "death wobble" issue.

https://www2.bing.com/search?q=jeep+...875E94A87D67CB
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:13 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Before I bought a Jeep GC, I'd check the status of the "death wobble" issue.

https://www2.bing.com/search?q=jeep+...875E94A87D67CB

A little late. The OP already has a '15 Jeep GC.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:34 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Store : Remco

Remco will tell you what you need.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:19 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
A little late. The OP already has a '15 Jeep GC.
Yep...got to read better!
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow