Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2022, 05:47 PM   #1

What TOAD Braking System you use?

I have used the RVi Brake for 8 years. Well it finally died and they do not offer repairs to that old of a system. I get that. But forking out $1400 (RViBrake3 or Shadow), is painful to say the least. And I understand the control tablet is a pain because it only has a 2-3 hour battery life, so it needs to be plugged in all the time. I have enough items plugged in

I stumbled on to the NSA N4000 which comes with their towing bars, but can be purchased separately and is mostly a mechanical system and mounts into your 2 inch hitch receiver and then wires into the TOAD braking system. $500

Anyone ever use that product. Or if not what do you use and like. I can go either way; portable or permanent. Pretty handy with electrical installed systems.
Xjaywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2022, 07:01 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I use the Roadmaster invisabrake. I am satisfied with the performance. It is/was about $1000. Permanent mounting in my Jeep GC.

EDIT. Looks like you are towing a trailer in your avatar so this does not apply for that kind of towing.
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 05:23 AM   #3

M&G braking sytem. Great systems.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 11:53 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xjaywalker View Post
I stumbled on to the NSA N4000 which comes with their towing bars...
Are you referring to the NSA RB-4000 Ready Brake? It's an option when towing a vehicle behind a motorhome, but it won't work for towing a trailer. As a toad braking system it works well - fairly easy to install, even easier to hook up and disconnect, comes with a lifetime warranty, and customer service is great!
Old 01-11-2022, 01:40 PM   #5

Democo stay and play

Love my stay and play duo. It's permanently installed so all that is needed to hook it up is turn it on and connect the break away cable, plus whatever specific actions are required from your tow vehicle manufacturer.

The Stay and play has proportional breaking that activates the brakes proportionally to how much your coach is slowing down while applying the brakes. This seems like the ideal braking behavior.

Road master has invisbrake which is just as convenient to use except it has what they call progressive breaking, which causes the breaks to start out softly and then ramp up over 8 seconds if you hold your foot on the brake. This seems bad for both emergency stops and for slow gradual stops.

The stay and play doesn't have a built in charge line so you need to install that separately which is a standard feature on the invisibrake.

If you have air brakes Demco has product called air force one which is recommended over the stay and play and provides similar function but uses air connection.
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 07:47 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
RVI orginal. Still works fine.
Bangorbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 07:34 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Air Force 1

Having used multiple braking systems over the years (BrakeBuddy, ReadyBrake, EvenBrake) and now Air Force 1, I have to say that we absolutely prefer the Air Force 1.
The difference in driving (and especially stopping) is significant in that the whole rig stops much more quickly and smoothly and in much shorter distance. I haven't measured actual stopping distances, so I can't give actual numbers for distances and time to stop, etc.
Connecting and disconnecting is much easier with the one air line versus placing the manual boxes on the brake pedal, etc. - although it is not a really difficult task to set up the previous pedal controls and we connected/disconnected the brake-pedal style unit for years. The biggest difference for us in connection is that the AF1 is faster.
I just wanted to offer my experiences; I would definitely choose the AirForce 1 (or other air-controlled system) in the future.
I have no financial interests in any of the above.
John
Towing 2015 Ford CMax Energi
ziaptrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 05:54 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What TOAD Braking System you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xjaywalker View Post
…….I have used the RVi Brake for 8 years. Well it finally died and they do not offer repairs to that old of a system……….
Like yourself and bangorbob, I also run with the RVi original, bought new 10 years ago. Still running just fine so far.
I’m disappointed in your note that they no longer service the original unit. I spoke with them in ‘19, and at that time they offered a full checkout and refurb for $200, or maybe $250. Then I got distracted with some radiation and never did send it to them. Guess I missed the boat!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 08:28 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
We used the duo stay and play with our class C rig. When we upgraded ot a DP we now use the air force 1 and have had no problems with it.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 08:53 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Blue Ox...on it's second toad, does fine.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 02:50 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I've been using the Air Force One braking system for about ten years on three different coaches and four different toads. Personally, I think it's the best system for a DP.

I have been recommending the NSA Ready Brake for people who want to save and not buy an add on braking system. However, recently, I installed an NSA unit and break away cable and will not recommend it again. Just too many items to contend with and looks like a spaghetti explosion when all connected.

Lastly, my neighbor initially bought the RB 4000, Ready Brake insert, but it REALLY extends the tow bar assembly making it very gangly and long (adds another foot). I wouldn't recommend it.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 03:01 PM   #12

NSA Ready Brake. Works great, easy to install. I just bought a Jeep and will leave it on my Roadmaster tow bar to move from my Mini Cooper
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 04:09 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Brakes for toad behind DP

I was using a Blue Ox system in my Jeep behind my gas motorhome. I just replaced the gas motorhome with a diesel pusher, with air brakes and I'm wondering what most folks use with air brakes. I want a stay and play system, just plug in the air and go. What do you recommend?
VIETVET72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 11:10 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I have been recommending the NSA Ready Brake for people who want to save and not buy an add on braking system. However, recently, I installed an NSA unit and break away cable and will not recommend it again. Just too many items to contend with and looks like a spaghetti explosion when all connected.
No matter who makes the tow bar, you've got the tow bar itself mounted between the RV and the toad; you've got 2 safety cables between the RV and toad; you've got the breakaway cable; and the electrical umbilical. The ONLY thing the NSA system adds is the cable from the tow bar to the brake pedal - hardly what could be described as an "explosion"...

Tags
toad