Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2013, 08:40 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterpilot View Post
Assume max allowable load on the surge brake dolly. On a long decent, using engine braking, there will be deceleration force on the surge system. Will it brake and than as the pressure is released from the surge system, let up on the brakes, and with that event, than surge ahead again and start the cycle all over again, or, will it just sit at some level of steady breaking? Thanks
OK - got'cha - downhill, engine braking, no RV brakes...
In a perfect world with roads as smooth at a still pond and on a hill that has no change in angle, then breaking pressure would be constant...

But in our uneven and bumpy world, surge brakes will apply and release repeatedly as needed.

This scene is a typical example of when those with electric brakes might engage them manually, just so the toad doesn't try to push around the RV - right?

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2013, 10:29 AM   #30

I've towed on my dolly down the Cajon pass and grape vine and all over CA's craptastic roads and have never had an issue with the surge breaks.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm still debating whether to use a Dolly or go with flat towing. If I use a Dolly, are the lights on it sufficient or do I need to add supplemental lights to my car?
Old 04-18-2013, 05:27 PM   #32

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormleys View Post
I'm still debating whether to use a Dolly or go with flat towing. If I use a Dolly, are the lights on it sufficient or do I need to add supplemental lights to my car?
That depends on the state you are in as there is no reciprocity on equipment like there is on drivers licenses. Some states may require it so I went ahead and did mine.
I wired our Ody lights into the dolly and used diodes where needed.

Surge brakes are used on everything from light weight boat trailers to heavy equipment trailers with very few, if any, troubles.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:47 PM   #33

I used magnetic lights on the back of the toad. Just be careful
where you run the wires, and put something under the magnets, so you
don't scratch the paint. Cheap and simple and you can use them on
"almost" any vehicle you put on the dolly.
I think the world is complicated enough, so I try to do things the
simple and easy way. It helps keep my stress level down......

Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:54 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoafan View Post
I've towed on my dolly down the Cajon pass and grape vine and all over CA's craptastic roads and have never had an issue with the surge breaks.
Same here, never had problem with electric brakes.
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:56 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim Guy View Post
I used magnetic lights on the back of the toad. Just be careful
where you run the wires, and put something under the magnets, so you
don't scratch the paint. Cheap and simple and you can use them on
"almost" any vehicle you put on the dolly.
I think the world is complicated enough, so I try to do things the
simple and easy way. It helps keep my stress level down......

Blue painters tape works great under magnetic lights.
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:59 PM   #36

Carolina Campers
I used a tow dolly and never liked it. I pulled a '07 Honda Accord and a '05 Ford Escape Hybrid as well. It is crucial that you check the wheel straps after a few miles. More often than not, I found one or both straps had loosened up after a few miles. That is a scary situation.

Another issue I had was the mount, tire tie down, etc. Do it a few times, not fun.

I also was too restricted when going over a sloped drive. There were to many times that the dolly hit bottom if the slope was much of anything. It was not a uncommon that I may have to unhook the car before going on the slopped drive.

Now I only pull with all four tires down. I also use a BreakBuddy system. I am real pleased I switched from a tow dolly to a Demco tow bar. Now the car is very easy to hook up and unhook. The car tracks behind the RV much better. There are no straps to tighten or feat that they will loosen up. I have not yet come across a situation, like a slopped drive, that caused any issue. The brakes work in consort with my break peddle in the RV. It was well worth the cost to switch.

My thoughts,
Ted
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:21 AM   #37

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Demco KarKaddy SS 460 with surge brakes. Bought it used. Have a 2003 Nissan Altima, didn't want to buy a new toad or the lube pump, brake, and tow bar.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:27 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
I used a tow dolly and never liked it. I pulled a '07 Honda Accord and a '05 Ford Escape Hybrid as well. It is crucial that you check the wheel straps after a few miles. More often than not, I found one or both straps had loosened up after a few miles. That is a scary situation.

Another issue I had was the mount, tire tie down, etc. Do it a few times, not fun.

I also was too restricted when going over a sloped drive. There were to many times that the dolly hit bottom if the slope was much of anything. It was not a uncommon that I may have to unhook the car before going on the slopped drive.

Now I only pull with all four tires down. I also use a BreakBuddy system. I am real pleased I switched from a tow dolly to a Demco tow bar. Now the car is very easy to hook up and unhook. The car tracks behind the RV much better. There are no straps to tighten or feat that they will loosen up. I have not yet come across a situation, like a slopped drive, that caused any issue. The brakes work in consort with my break peddle in the RV. It was well worth the cost to switch.

My thoughts,
Ted
Wrong thread...this is the "What dolly do you use" thread.

But I have to say, that took much longer than I thought it would take since the OP was 3/22...that's a FULL 4 WEEKS before a hijack!

-WARNING- fellow dolly users, DON'T HIJACK A "4 DOWN"thread or THEY WILL FLAME YOU!

They are a loyal bunch...but they have a dirty little secret - There is the large number of folks towing 4 down but using NO brakes. Seems that after paying almost $2000 for all the stuff to hook-up just 1 car, it seems that many don't have the dough for the complicated braking system needed to make the toad's brakes work
It's not everyone, but there are many...I know 2 of them myself.

Safe travels to all
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:16 AM   #39

Carolina Campers
Hey, I never meant to hijack the thread, just provided my thoughts because I have experience on both sides of this issue. It was meant to be a thoughtful insight, but I can see how you may not be interested in my opinion in regard to the whole story.

By the way, using the BreakBuddy is not complicated to use. I agree it does add to your cost, but as they say, you pay for what you get.

Have fun RVing and pulling your toad, regardless which method you use.

Ted
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:41 AM   #40

ACME, had mine since 2012 no problems. Towed Dodge Neon, Geo tracker. Best one out there.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly