Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2006, 04:43 PM   #1

Hey all you new Vue owners! What tow bar are you using?
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2006, 04:43 PM   #2

Hey all you new Vue owners! What tow bar are you using?
Old 07-23-2006, 11:09 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Freddy, I have not set my Vue up yet; still towing my Chevy 4x4 using the Blue Ox Avanta II. I will use the same tow bar, just have to buy the Blue Ox base plate for the Vue and get the time to install it. You may want to concider the Aluminum version if you do not have a tow bar yet. Good luck and stay safe.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 04:02 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freddy,
I just purchased a 2006 Vue in June. Front wheel drive with manual transmission and 2 wheel drive.
I'm using the Blue Ox Alladin aluminum tow bar. It's made for towing up to 5000 lbs. It towed the Vue beautifully. It felt like it wasn't even there.(Good thing I had a rear view camera). The Saturn dealer had all of the Blue Ox line right there already and put it all on when I purchaced it. Lighting harness and all. It turned out great! I even bought the Blue Ox Apollo brake system. Everything hooks up easy and is light. Hook up time for everything is 5 minutes MAX! If you do get the Blue Ox line of equipment, I'm pretty sure you'll be very happy with it.
Happy trails,
AKBrick

P.S. Oh yeah, nice motorhome by the way!
Old 07-25-2006, 05:10 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Freddy,

I'm using Blue Ox towing equipment and the Aladdin Aluminum towbar.

I also use a Blue Ox 4 inch drop receiver. I tried the 6" but I found myself bottoming out more often than I wanted to. So far the 4" is working out really well.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 12:49 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freddy,
Oh yeah, something I forgot to mention. My '04 Brave is on a W20 chassis which has 19.5 inch wheels which are smaller than the ones on the W22. I didn't need to get the dropdown reciever. I measured from the center of the reciever to the ground and then I measured from the ground to the center bolt on the towbar where it attaches to the car's base plate. There was exactly 4 inches difference, which is the limit which Blue Ox says you can have before needing to get a dropdown reciever. (The Vue was 4 inches lower than the hitch reciever).
By the way, I noticed that on your post, it shows that your '04 Brave is on the W22 chassis. I never knew that they came that way. Pretty neat. So it looks like you will need the dropdown hitch reciever.

Thank-you DriVer for mentioning the dropdown reciever.

AKBrick
Old 07-26-2006, 03:32 PM   #7

Well, bought the 06 4cy Vue, Silver Nickle in color. Got the auto tranny and dealership installed the Falcon 2 towbar, same as the one on our previous tow vehicle (Saturn SC2). The only difference is the base plate.

I just wanted to make sure that I didn't get stuck with the same type of base plate as on the SC2. The brackets come out from under the front bumper and turn up to hold the cross piece. Every time we drove up a small incline (into a convenience store, etc), the brackets scrapped bottom. The ones on the Vue come straight out from the grill. Much better!

We kept the SC2, so will continue to use the old Falcon 2 with the new Vue until it wears out then put the new one on the Vue.

I will continue to use safety chains instead of the provided cables. I've already experienced one broken cable.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:44 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AKBrick:
Freddy,

By the way, I noticed that on your post, it shows that your '04 Brave is on the W22 chassis. I never knew that they came that way. Pretty neat. So it looks like you will need the dropdown hitch reciever.AKBrick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is what WH says I have: P32022 chassis.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:44 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Freddy:
Well, bought the 06 4cy Vue, Silver Nickle in color. Got the auto tranny and dealership installed the Falcon 2 towbar, same as the one on our previous tow vehicle (Saturn SC2).. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I wasn't aware that you could flat-four tow a Saturn Vue with a 4 cylinder engine with the automatic transmission.

Motorhome Magazine's 2006 Dinghy Tow Guide

I just checked the on-line 2006 Saturn Vue's brochure and sure enough it says FWD4 flat-four towable. Nice enjoy!

We really like our 250HP V6 AWD.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 12:19 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Freddy,
Nice car, you'll like it!
Dont'cha just love it when the dealer does all the work for ya?
AKBrick
Old 07-27-2006, 05:28 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AKBrick:
Freddy,
Nice car, you'll like it!
Dont'cha just love it when the dealer does all the work for ya?
AKBrick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks! We did a fair amount of research before buying the 4cy VUE. I am a tad over 6' tall and really appreciate the headroom. The top of my head hit the roof in the SC2 that we had been towing.