Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2017, 10:29 AM   #1

Wheel wobble on 2016 Grand Cherokee

I have owned a 2016 Grand Cherokee for 1 year. We just towed for the first time and twice at low speed, wide sweeping turns the front wheels started to wobble back and forth. It literally shook the motorhome left and right. Home weighs 43000lbs. Once stopped it goes away and can begin at any time. Mine didn't happen again for 100 miles. 2016 is first year for grand Cherokee to have electronic steering which was the cause of the same thing happening on 2014-2016 Cherokee. Jeep fixed it with a new harness adapter that send power to the steering with the ignition off. I have a copy of jeep's service bulletin. Called Jeep a week ago and brought to dealer. Service manager called Jeep Michigan and was told "when enough people complain we then may come up with a similar fix". Only has happened to a few Grand Cherokees. This of course is not acceptable to me, or any one else with knowledge of the potential safety issues. Look on youtube for video that listed as Jeep Cherokee Death wobble. So that's my story. Thanks for reading
esaulten is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2017, 12:20 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
If you use the search box at the top right of the page with the Google logo, you'll find many threads about this topic.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Heep...earch=irv2.com

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:26 PM   #3

I am well aware of the Jeep Cherokee problem. I am also aware of a few posts of the Grand Cherokee 2016 issues. Why I posted was to show the group the indifference Jeep has when they don't know how to handle the problem. Thanks for response anyways.
esaulten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:38 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
You might try posting a report to the NHTSA, but the problem might be that you're reporting an issue when the car is towed, not under its own power. I'm sure more folks would be concerned if it was a problem to more people and involved personal safety.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:59 PM   #5

Good morning Esaulten; Sorry to hear about your problem with your Grand Cherokee. To me, Jeep knows about the problem with the Cherokee, so if they both have an electric powered steering assist, Chrysler/Jeep could not figure out that there could be a possible problem with the Grand! I have had Jeep products since 1968. Some of the changes in ownership have been good and some bad. I do have a problem nowadays with too many components being electronic. I know it is a pain in your rear but, be a bigger pain in Chryslers/ Jeep. I have not looked yet but I bet that the owners manual for the Grand says that it is flat towable and gives all the instructions on how to get it ready to tow. If nothing is mentioned about applying power to the electronic assist steering, then in my opinion, they are liable for problems or damage. I would do like Bflinn181 mentioned. I would file a complaint to NHTSA, or if you figure that this is too much bull and would like to solve the problem yourself, I would check to see how Jeep has powered the electronic steering yourself and see if that solves the problem. If it worked on the Cherokee, it might work on your Grand. Then you could tell the big boys to go fly a kite. Some of this is my opinion as I do so much of my own work and don't trust the manufacture's to do the right thing. Hope you can get a quick solution so you can tow your Grand Cherokee safely. Good luck!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 05:58 PM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Welcome to the club. About the same response I have been getting for the last 10 months.
mhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:25 AM   #7

You can add me to the list of those that this has happened to. I have towed our 2016 Grand Cherokee for a few thousand miles, with no problems what so ever. Then, twice in the space of 10 minutes, the wobble occurred. Both times I was making a sharp left turn from a stop. I have never had it happen at highway speed. I have never heard of anyone having the wobble happen at highway speed. If it ever does, it will be time for a new toad, right after I change my clothes
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:40 AM   #8

Thanks for this thread. Been looking at GC for about 3 weeks now and it looks like I should wait a little longer. KeepIng the CRV for now.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:45 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
Thanks for this thread. Been looking at GC for about 3 weeks now and it looks like I should wait a little longer. KeepIng the CRV for now.
Occasional wobble or not, the GC is a great toad. We upgraded from a 2014 CRV to gain more space, comfort, and off-road capability, and are still very glad we did. One low-speed wobble in 10,000+ miles hasn't dampened our enthusiasm for the GC.
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 04:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Mike View Post
Occasional wobble or not, the GC is a great toad. We upgraded from a 2014 CRV to gain more space, comfort, and off-road capability, and are still very glad we did. One low-speed wobble in 10,000+ miles hasn't dampened our enthusiasm for the GC.

Been looking at the trail hawk and overland but not sure if I like the 18" nobby wrangler tires for highway driving. Should I upgrade to the 20" all season radials???? How's the road noise??
Old 08-09-2017, 06:58 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
Been looking at the trail hawk and overland but not sure if I like the 18" nobby wrangler tires for highway driving. Should I upgrade to the 20" all season radials???? How's the road noise??
I have the 20" wheels, and nice quiet tires -- rides like a dream. Wouldn't want knobby tires, 'cause this is our daily driver too.
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 12:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by esaulten View Post
I have owned a 2016 Grand Cherokee for 1 year. We just towed for the first time and twice at low speed, wide sweeping turns the front wheels started to wobble back and forth. It literally shook the motorhome left and right. Home weighs 43000lbs. Once stopped it goes away and can begin at any time. Mine didn't happen again for 100 miles. 2016 is first year for grand Cherokee to have electronic steering which was the cause of the same thing happening on 2014-2016 Cherokee. Jeep fixed it with a new harness adapter that send power to the steering with the ignition off. I have a copy of jeep's service bulletin. Called Jeep a week ago and brought to dealer. Service manager called Jeep Michigan and was told "when enough people complain we then may come up with a similar fix". Only has happened to a few Grand Cherokees. This of course is not acceptable to me, or any one else with knowledge of the potential safety issues. Look on youtube for video that listed as Jeep Cherokee Death wobble. So that's my story. Thanks for reading
Do you have QuadraLift? That is the air ride suspension. It's standard in the Overland and Summit, optional for the Limited.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-01-2017, 02:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by esaulten View Post
esaulten, I'm sending you a PM. Please review the link below and join us in voicing our complaint to FCA. I'm working directly with FMCA to find a solution.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/new-p...le-360864.html