Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2019, 06:54 AM   #1

WHEN does a Break Away system work

...not the When, as in when the wire gets pulled enough to activate the braking, but WHEN, as in at what point in time is it possible?

If we have a tow bar with solid contacts between coach frame and vehicle frame, how can that get un-hitched without simply forgetting to install the pins?

Even then, we have safety chains or cables that also connect the two frames to each other in the improbable event that the tow bar fails.

My question is......even though it's law, what logic can be used to imagine a situation when both the tow bar and safety chains let go of the toad or coach?

Does anybody know of any instance besides a huge wreck including Roll Over where this could happen?

Just wondering We all spend good money installing the system, but what's the logic behind it?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2019, 07:07 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hitch welds break. Tow bars break. If your safety chains are connected to the same mount as the hitch receiver, it can all come loose at once. Are your safety chains actually wrapped around the frame members? Or are they connected to the base plate?

There are reports on this forum of people's toads becoming totally disconnected, so it does happen.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post

There are reports on this forum of people's toads becoming totally disconnected, so it does happen.
86 reads, and not one response that references such an event as what you've described. Can anybody reference a toad becoming disconnected, because what happened after that is very important to the OP.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
...not the When, as in when the wire gets pulled enough to activate the braking, but WHEN, as in at what point in time is it possible?

If we have a tow bar with solid contacts between coach frame and vehicle frame, how can that get un-hitched without simply forgetting to install the pins?

Even then, we have safety chains or cables that also connect the two frames to each other in the improbable event that the tow bar fails.

My question is......even though it's law, what logic can be used to imagine a situation when both the tow bar and safety chains let go of the toad or coach?

Does anybody know of any instance besides a huge wreck including Roll Over where this could happen?

Just wondering We all spend good money installing the system, but what's the logic behind it?
I was thinking of this the other day. Just install and hope it works? How do you test? I did shorten mine and move away from hitch. I now attach to the air intake grill .
fairway2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 12:38 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'm not going to do the work, but I can think of at least three on here that came loose. Two were Blue Ox tow bar issues, about a month apart, and one the front fascia and frame attachment came off the car. The post included photos of the fascia and frame. It was still attached to the tow bar and the car was laying along side the road.

Let's say your tow bar breaks and the cables/chains go into action, having the braking system stops the toad from rear ending the coach. The cables/chains may drag the car along, but at some point, it's going to want to go a different direction than the coach.

One of the things people need to check when they do their initial install is the length of the break away cable. It should be shorter than the chains/cables, so the brakes get applied and the vehicle stops behind the coach, without rear ending it.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 06:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairway2002 View Post
I was thinking of this the other day. Just install and hope it works? How do you test? I did shorten mine and move away from hitch. I now attach to the air intake grill .
If that grill is plastic, consider a way to firm it up. The cable ought to be able to pull the pin out easily, but as you said, how many of these rigs have been on our toads for years and years and never been used, so they might be frozen into the box, and a pull could (maybe) just pull the grill bar off the car?
Old 08-31-2019, 06:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post

One of the things people need to check when they do their initial install is the length of the break away cable. It should be shorter than the chains/cables, so the brakes get applied and the vehicle stops behind the coach, without rear ending it.
Bingo...best explanation there is.

About testing the system.....once a pin is pulled out and the brakes deploy (hopefully), does inserting the pin back into the box release the brakes and get things back to default, or is anything else needing to be done?
Old 08-31-2019, 07:33 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
As an aside, I worry considerably about the break away cable getting caught on the tower and pulling out without an emergency.

I have a Roadmaster Nighthawk, the break away cable crosses over one of the release levers. I wrap the lever with Roadwrap to minimize the possibility of the break away cable getting hooked on the lever in a turn and pulling out the pin.

Ron
rmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:01 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
About testing the system.....once a pin is pulled out and the brakes deploy (hopefully), does inserting the pin back into the box release the brakes and get things back to default, or is anything else needing to be done?
Yes, at least that's true on our M&G air brake system. If you pull the breakaway pin the brakes apply. Reinsert the pin and the brakes release. I've used the breakaway function to hold the Jeep while I'm disconnecting at times. Having a breakaway system is like having insurance, you hope you never have to use it but it's there just in case.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 01:13 PM   #10

I know at lease on my Air Force I can pull the pin to test the brake away function. As soon as I pull the pin, my AF1 dash light comes on advising the breakaway has been activated.
No resetting need, as soon as the pin is in the “in” position your active again.
Granite17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 02:25 PM   #11

Quote:
86 reads, and not one response that references such an event as what you've described. Can anybody reference a toad becoming disconnected, because what happened after that is very important to the OP.
As FlyingDiver stated, there are several reports on this forum by folks who have had the issue.

The search function being what it is, most of us aren't going to take the time it would take to find those threads. If you want to read them just click the search button and start looking. If you don't believe the posts are out there that's fine.

I just happened to come across this thread while perusing some of the other section on here. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/break...ed-457623.html
Old 08-31-2019, 03:03 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a toad almost break away. A reputable dealer installed a Blue OX base plate. He caused the welded nuts to come loose from the frame inside. We barely caught it or it would have come completely loose. Tow Bars, chains and all fasten to the base plate.

I also use some safety wire from the break away switch to a solid metal part under the grille. Even if the switch comes off the wire will keep it in place and let it work
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 07:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmueller View Post
As an aside, I worry considerably about the break away cable getting caught on the tower and pulling out without an emergency.

I have a Roadmaster Nighthawk, the break away cable crosses over one of the release levers. I wrap the lever with Roadwrap to minimize the possibility of the break away cable getting hooked on the lever in a turn and pulling out the pin.

Ron
I checked the break-away cable from my construction trailer and noticed the same thing. It is way too long, and wrapped around one of the chains, and might deploy, but way after the chains let loose.

I plan to shorten it to roughly a length similar to the safety chains, but doing it a tad bit shorter as DutchStarDan said, makes sense.

It isn't as much a way to save others from on-coming traffic, as it is to save your coach from being rear ended hard during a sudden surprise....but I still can't envision how a toad can come loose enough that the tow bar is missing, safety chains still on, but getting tight?
Old 08-31-2019, 08:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post

I just happened to come across this thread while perusing some of the other section on here. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/break...ed-457623.html

Looks like structural/installation failures in most cases, and the last photo of the red Jeep seems to suggest that the baseplate was attached to the bumper instead of to the frame?