Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2017, 01:39 PM   #1

Where to get toad set up to tow

After a lot of research and reading, finally pulled the trigger on a 2013 Kia Soul (manual) to tow. What I haven't read is where everyone with toads had the set up done.

I've read a few who talked about doing their own base plate but haven't seen any who mentioned they were mechanical-illiterates like I am.

Where does one get a tow set-up done?

Thanks....
dnbgould is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2017, 01:47 PM   #2

Many shops specialize in tow hitches/welding. This is where we went when we bought our coach in Eugene, Or Hitch Pro & Tow
Don't think I would trust a UHaul dealer, but that's just me...

Cost about $3k for hitch, bar, toad brake, wiring. Took one day.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 06:31 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wherever you get it done make SURE they know how to correctly do the wiring. Some cars require the use of diodes (think of it like a one way water check valve) to isolate the towing circuits from the rest of the car, to prevent electricity back flowing into the car in places that can cause damage when hooked up.

If you do not know what a diode is, that's ok. If the shop does not know, find another shop.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:21 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I had success a few times now, using body repair shops. My thought is they do body work all day so they know how to take apart front ends and put them back together. Especially in todays "toads" that require specialty body tools to do it correctly. I've done 3 toads so far and all were successful and no issues.
chinobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:08 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Go to etrailer.com and look around their site for your car and a base plate to fit it. They have videos and manuf installation instructions. I did my own installation and I am FAR from being a wrench.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:13 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good advice. eTrailer has some very good videos. The baseplate install isn't hard, but you do need a torque wrench to get the bolts tightened correctly.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:37 AM   #7

State Trailer RV

We had a good experience at State Trailer RV, 3600 S. Redwood Road, SLC. Clean shop and store, competent and reliable people. We were on the road and called them. They ordered the part we needed and were ready for us when we arrived. I am confident they would do a good job setting up your toad. State Trailer is not cheap but reasonable. They also have another shop in Ogden.
IMHO, I avoid Camping World for any repairs. Another option might be a mobile rv repair service to come to you if you can find one with good references for the work you need.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 12:23 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
It is a easy install and the Roadmaster brackets has only a little trimming and can't be seen but the main thing whoever does the job is use THREAD LOC on all bolts, the tail light wires on the Korean built cars is extreamly small and hard to work with.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:44 PM   #9

I went to the Roadmaster site and looked up their authorized dealers. Also do a google search for hitch centers, etc in your area.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:35 AM   #10

HitchSource.com also has great information on-line. After reading the instructions and seeing a couple videos, by DH installed ours. We are totally new to flat towing. He mounted all the electric and brake connections behind the license plate, so the only things visible are where the (blue ox) connectors attach for the towbar and the safety chain connections. We bought everything from HitchSource.com as a package except for a couple switches for the fuses. We didn't like where the very expensive packaged ones mounted, so he (has experience with automotive electrical) purchased the wire and switches and made his own pigtail to place the switches in convenient but hidden locations. eTrailer did have good videos, but HitchSource had better prices for what we needed. We contacted them with some questions and they were very responsive.
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:35 PM   #11

I had the Chevy dealer where we bought our Malibu install the Roadmaster baseplate that I bought on-line. A body shop could have done as well, I'm sure. I used a Ready Brute Elite tow bar and a TowMate magnetic wireless light bar, so no wiring changes were needed. Very pleased with the result.

Wayne
WNJeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:48 PM   #12

Used a local body shop to install my base plate and Ready Brake cable. Well work the $200 (4 hours @ $50.00).

Good Luck!
Old 03-08-2017, 04:16 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Where to get toad set up? under the tree.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:07 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZDZIT View Post
IMHO, I avoid Camping World for any repairs.
X2
Avoid campingworld.

They did mine when i didn't know any better. They ran a hot 12v wire from the front of the car to the rear going in and out of frame holes with no protection. I corrected it an they will never touch my coach again.
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, tow