Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-05-2020, 01:14 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Which Base Plate for 2015+ Colorado/Canyon WITH Adaptive Cruise?

I am going to look at a GMC Canyon (4x4 and auto trans) tomorrow, because I am looking for a more suitable flat tow vehicle than my current 3/4 ton 4x4. The Canyon has adaptive cruise control on it, which I like. However, I keep reading that all the base plates will either not work with it, or will cause the adaptive cruise to not work.

Has anyone successfully found a base plate that will allow the adaptive cruise to work when disconnected from the MH?
Army Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2020, 04:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army Nurse View Post
I am going to look at a GMC Canyon (4x4 and auto trans) tomorrow, because I am looking for a more suitable flat tow vehicle than my current 3/4 ton 4x4. The Canyon has adaptive cruise control on it, which I like. However, I keep reading that all the base plates will either not work with it, or will cause the adaptive cruise to not work.

Has anyone successfully found a base plate that will allow the adaptive cruise to work when disconnected from the MH?

Are you sure this 2015 has Adaptive Cruise? I don’t believe it was offered on either the Canyon or Colorado in 2015. Could be wrong. They did offer forward collision alert?
Anyhow, call E-Trailer they will tell you the exact set up you need.
Granite17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 06:31 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Army Nurse".....Almost 99% of the time, the companies making base plates for autos and trucks, use the same attachment points. So if you buy a Roadmaster base plate or a Blue Ox base plate, they would both install in the same spot on the front end.

The only exception that I know of, where this not true, is the Canyon/Colorado base plates. The Roadmaster base plate connects down low where your tow hooks are located. The Blue Ox base plate mounts up higher and comes through the grille. Why is this important......if you own a diesel pusher, your tow bar will sit lower and line up better with the lower mounted Roadmaster base plates. If you own a gasser, the two bar typically sits higher on the coach and the Blue Ox base plates line up better.

I just sold my 2016 Canyon SLT, which was fully loaded. It did not come with adaptive cruise control. I may be wrong, but I don't think that was offered. Like mentioned above, there is a braking system that senses when you get to close to another vehicle, which my Canyon had, but was not affected by the tow bar mounts.

Roadmaster has two types of base plates, one uses a cross bar, which I would not recommend, and the other is a hidden base plate system. It's possible that those that bought the cross bar type, left it on when not towing and it affected the braking alert.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:53 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'm looking at two today. Both are low mileage 2016 2.8L diesel models, and both have adaptive cruise and lane assist per the buttons on the steering wheel and console.

According to the FAQ on etrailer.com, the Blue Ox BX1721 will work with adaptive cruise. However, their product page also says it won't. Hmmm... :/
Army Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:34 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army Nurse View Post
I'm looking at two today. Both are low mileage 2016 2.8L diesel models, and both have adaptive cruise and lane assist per the buttons on the steering wheel and console.

According to the FAQ on etrailer.com, the Blue Ox BX1721 will work with adaptive cruise. However, their product page also says it won't. Hmmm... :/
Okay....I stand corrected, it must have been an option over and above the SLT model. I have ACC on my new Ford Raptor, I know where the module is, so I'm careful that nothing is mounted in front of it.

If you're concerned, call Roadmaster and ask them about ACC on the truck you're looking at.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, colorado