Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2020, 11:06 PM   #1

Which baseplate?

I am replacing my toad this winter & now trying to choose the baseplate. I'm going to use an NSA Ready Brute Elite II on a 2018 Lincoln MKX. Which plate is best--Blue Ox, Demco, Roadmaster? NSA can use any of these, but are there reasons to choose one vs another?

Thanks
BDubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2021, 05:20 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Gas or diesel motorhome? Do you use a drop hitch to get tow bar level? All brands you mentioned will work, depends on which tow bar hook up you like. One other thing to consider is the exact height off the ground the base plate hook up points are. Then compare to your motorhome hitch height and use the one that is closest.
Old 01-01-2021, 05:34 AM   #3

I chose Blue Ox non-hidden, I like the fact that it uses two tabs for attachment instead of one and as I recall it was the cheapest of the lot. NSA twice has recommended Blue Ox to me. I'm sure the rest will work just fine. Ease of installation on the towed vehicle may be another consideration. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 06:31 AM   #4

Any of those will work just fine. I would opt for whichever one would match up closer to the hitch height of the MH. If no appreciable difference I would think about an easy install as I would do that myself, but that is a secondary consideration.
Good choice with the Ready Brute. That is what we use. Easy to install , use and has a lifetime warranty.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 07:16 AM   #5

Take the hitch and the car to the nearest CERTIFIED welding shop. With the problems I and others have had with Blue Ox base plates, that's the LAST one I'd consider. Just do a search on this and other RV forums and you'll see just what happens with Blue Ox. Not only are their products a POS, they ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT stand behind them and correct any of the many gross mistakes they make again and again. Where do people end up after Blue Ox fails to solve their self created problems? Their local welding shop or they spend for a different base plate.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 10:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelesley View Post
Gas or diesel motorhome? Do you use a drop hitch to get tow bar level? All brands you mentioned will work, depends on which tow bar hook up you like. One other thing to consider is the exact height off the ground the base plate hook up points are. Then compare to your motorhome hitch height and use the one that is closest.
Diesel, straight bar, no drop
Old 01-03-2021, 10:18 PM   #7

Thanks for the input. The attachment height factor seems a logical point. Roadmaster is 3" too high, BO exactly right. I've used BO for a couple years without a problem so I think I'll stay with them.

Thanks again,
Brian
Old 01-04-2021, 07:10 AM   #8
NXR

If Etrailer has videos for installing each baseplate, I'd watch them and make the decision that way. I did that for my Equinox.

One interesting point was that multiple people recommended the Blue Ox baseplate but they had older Equinoxes. Chevy changed the area where the baseplate attaches in later model years and the Blue Ox baseplate actually appeared to be the weakest now.

In prior years, all three baseplates attached to large, solid metal plates. In the later models Chevy changed that to two small flanges on each side. The Blue Ox just bolted to those two flanges and added internal safety cables (to keep the baseplate loosely attached to the frame if it tore loose). Demco and Roadmaster both added extra frame attachment points for added strength.

Chevy also recommended, and still does, the RVi Towed Battery Charger to keep the battery charged up in the Equinox (the Equinox pulls 7.5 amps from the battery in tow mode).

But in 2018 Chevy changed to an AGM battery in the Equinox and the RVi Towed Battery Charger does not work with AGM batteries. RVi added that note to their web site last year because so many new cars were now coming with AGM batteries and their product could not charge those batteries.

The point being that when you are looking at recommendations you need to assure that they will be applicable to your precise situation.

HTH,

Ray
Old 01-05-2021, 12:34 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
About 95% of the time, all brands of base plates attach and protrude through the grill or under the bumper at the same spot. Be aware that Roadmaster makes 2-3 different base plates for each vehicle. Their base plate that uses the cross bar, does raise the tow bar height.

I'm not a fan of Blue Ox, it's about the only brand you read about that has failures. You might check the height again on the hidden Roadmaster base plates. I always use the Roadmaster hidden base plates and connectors (6 different vehicles).
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 01:01 PM   #10

We have the Roadmaster baseplate with removable crossbar, Demco Excalibur II and Ready Brake for our 2011 MKX. It's a great setup and have had no issues. Installation was not difficult. Would buy the same setup again. Good luck.
Old 01-05-2021, 01:34 PM   #11

Pigman1 is absolutely correct, some of the construction and engineering I have seen on Blue Ox products is scary. I have spent 28+ years in automotive manufacture engineering and overall the best designed and constructed products are from RoadMaster and the most rugged designed and built are from Demco.
Old 01-07-2021, 09:05 PM   #12

Some years back I ran across a fellow who showed me where a pin on his blue ox snapped! I can't ever imagine that happening with the Roadmaster, as beefy as they are!

Bill
03 Tradition
bneiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:32 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
This is just my opinion and nothing else. I will not install a baseplate that doesn’t have cross bar again. I have seen ones without cross bar broke frames weld and radiator supports welds on Jeep Cherokee.
CWSWine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
This is just my opinion and nothing else. I will not install a baseplate that doesn’t have cross bar again. I have seen ones without cross bar broke frames weld and radiator supports welds on Jeep Cherokee.
Wow, interesting! I never witnessed this problem myself but in thinking of the different scenarios that could lead to a problem like this, it does make sense!

Thanks for mentioning it!

Bill
bneiva is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseplate