Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2013, 03:14 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If other system's breakaway switches are like the AFO switch a light machine screw is used at one end. That allows the switch to pivot out of the way when not in use. One my Honda Pilot it was mounted to part of the plastic grill, not the bumper. Considering the function this switch performs that should be sufficient. On my Wrangler it is attached to the bumper as us describe. It was an easy job. One small hole without removing the bumper. The point is you have considerable flexibility for that mount.

The breakaway, in the extended position, is to the left in this photo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2132496063.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	556.8 KB
ID:	32262
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2013, 03:33 PM   #30

Bill,

Thanks for the picture showing the position of your breakaway switch. What bumper is that on your Jeep? Are those the Blue Ox bolt on tow tabs? Are they positioned on the same level as your welded on D-rings?

I am considering getting the LoD Armor Light bumper and having them weld on the Blue Ox tow tabs. Trying to keep the curb weight as low as possible on the Wrangler.
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #31

US Gear unified Tow Brake. I kicked out the bow brake.

Just finished the install last week. I'll try and post the full process tomorrow.

This is now our only hook ups.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6784.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	32291

Plug it in and drive away.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:07 PM   #32

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some of what I am about to say depends on both your motor home and your towed.. If the MH has Air brakes the air operated systems use that air, If it does not then they need an aux compressor, which of course can fail.

Ready Brake, this is a surge brake system. Once installed on the towed there is basically nothing in the driver's way, you hook up a couple of cables when you tow (Total time measured in seconds) and that's it folks.

US Gear Unified brake Decelerator, This electric/hydraulic (Thy are all "over hydraulic" being as the brakes on the towed are the "Hydraulic" part) gives the Motor home driver FULL control over the trailer brakes (The towed is a trailer) The same as a Semi driver has over his trailer, You can manually SET the towed brakes, or Disable them, or let the automatic controller do it's thing.

The harder you brake, the harder it brakes (progressive braking) the gain is adjustable (porportional braking) and again, once installed it is never removed, nothing in the driver's way.. Just one 2-wire cable to hook up and the safety cable.

M&G Air over hydraulic. this is real nice, it installs between teh brake booster and the master cylinder on many cars, (Alas some it just won't fit).

Air Force One,, Fits more cars than M&G but is mounted "INSIDE the car (Like the US gear system)

Invisible Brake from Roadmaster. (I think) is a very new system. I have heard of a few "Settleing in" issues mostly due to problems with the car's wiring, this sytem you have nothging at all to hook up, Save the break-away cable. It is controlled by the tow-lights.

NOTE the US gear and the Invisible Brake also provide charge current to the towed battery.

Finally the "Brake system in a box" systems like Brake buddy, Even brake and the like.. These systems look real good on paper because there is nothing "INstalled" in the car, they can easily be removed and put in a new car.

The problem is they DO have to be removed in order to drive the car and re-installed Every time you tow. EVERY TIME and for many, if it's a short trip, say to the dealer, "Oh it's too much DANG I WISH I"D INSTALLED IT, (as you wait for the nice officer to fill out the accident report).

And before you tell me you never forget it.. I have had several folks admit they do on short trips.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #33

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
M&G :-)
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:06 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid_dk View Post
Bill,
What bumper is that on your Jeep? Are those the Blue Ox bolt on tow tabs? Are they positioned on the same level as your welded on D-rings?
Vid, see PM.
Bill
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:03 AM   #35

Check out the RVi brake system. It is more compact than Brake Buddy and can move toad to toad in minutes. It is a non invasive system.
Snomas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:30 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I had a Ready Brake hitch with a dash light to alert when on. I had difficulties a djusting and burnt out my brakes an master although the dash light didn't come on. I'm sure it is a good system however I wasn't comfortable after that. I located a used Mountain Master/VIP brake system. Installation was about 6 hours and once it is done it takes less than a minute to hook up. It is a all in one system to include break away. I have it adjusted to only come on with hard braking and I can apply the brakes from drivers seat by pressing a button if I need to. It is well thought and out. Oh it also has a trickle charger to ensure my toad battery doesnt' run down, a very nice feature.

Tags
brake, toad