Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2018, 08:33 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Which braking system for towed Jeep

We are getting a new bounder and a new jeep to tow with it. I will also be using the jeep as my primary vehicle . wife has a van. The dealer wants to install the Blue Ox stealth braking system. Is this one a good one or what is your experience. Please comment as I know nothing about these.
ccrewstx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2018, 09:17 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
CCrewSTX -

There is a whole forum here under the "RV Forums" pull-down dedicated to "Toads & MH Towing." That's where you will find all kinds of discussion on braking and towing questions in general.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 02-25-2018, 02:25 PM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrewstx View Post
We are getting a new bounder and a new jeep to tow with it. I will also be using the jeep as my primary vehicle . wife has a van. The dealer wants to install the Blue Ox stealth braking system. Is this one a good one or what is your experience. Please comment as I know nothing about these.
I chose to go with a NSA READYBRUTE/ELITE and installed it myself.
Alum. bars with a 8K lb rating is more than sufficient for most vehicles.
Best bang for the buck IMO and comes with a simple surge braking system that works extremely well. Not much to ever go wrong with these and installed the optional breakaway cable, as well as a leather cover for the bars, when not in use.
Have less than $1500 in it all, which includes DEMCO base plate for the Jeep and a COOLTECH wiring harness.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:05 PM   #4

What tropical36 said. Except I skipped the base plates and installed a Currie Tow Plate

https://www.4wheelparts.com/Towing/C...SAAEgIbMvD_BwE

If I had it to do over I'd go with an aftermarket bumper instead. A little more money but makes the tow bar connection a little higher and more easily accessible.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:15 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
I chose to go with a NSA READYBRUTE/ELITE and installed it myself.
Alum. bars with a 8K lb rating is more than sufficient for most vehicles.
Best bang for the buck IMO and comes with a simple surge braking system that works extremely well. Not much to ever go wrong with these and installed the optional breakaway cable, as well as a leather cover for the bars, when not in use.
Have less than $1500 in it all, which includes DEMCO base plate for the Jeep and a COOLTECH wiring harness.
X2!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:21 PM   #6

Talking

Not the same vehicle, but I got a Roadmaster towbar, baseplate, and Invisibrake system to tow my CR-V. Works great, doesn't cause any handling issues, brakes fine, and there's nothing in the car to (forget to) turn on for towing (you do need to turn on the coach's headlights as the Invisibrake uses the tail light signal to trickle charge the car battery). That car is my daily driver, and there's nothing to notice about the tow baseplate and brake system.

Easy to hook up and unhook - my wife describes it as "quick" which completely surprised me. Takes a little practice to know how to maneuver the car to the right position for hooking/unhooking, but I think that's going to be true of all brands.

Tags
tow