Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2021, 01:48 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Which Grand Cherokee??

Let me start by saying we've been towing our 2013 Rubicon Unlimited for a number of years and it has served us well. When I set up the Jeep I was doing a lot of off-roading and even an occasional rock-climbing trip from time to time so she's lifted (4") with 35" tires, upgraded bumpers, lights, on-board air compressor, pretty much everything!

So fast forward to the present day and we find that we now spend more than 90% of the time using the Wrangler as just an SUV with only occasional dirt road stuff and it's really becoming a bit of a chore to do a 200 mile sightseeing day.

I've settled on a 2018 or newer Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk as a replacement. I've read all the issues with "Death Wobble" and the upgrades needed but I've been dealing with death wobble on the last 3 Wranglers and it doesn't scare me.

I've got a couple of GCs in my sights. The first one is 2018 with the eco diesel and 2019 with the Hemi. Both are fully loaded with Adaptive cruise, etc... And both are still within the factory warranty as I plan to buy a Mopar warranty that will go an additional 5 years and 60K more miles for around ~$1900.....this will give me the ability to go to pretty much any Jeep dealer around the country and have almost everything covered, except wear items.

The prices are similar and both vehicles have only ~24K miles so this is much more desirable to us than buying new and dealing with the depreciation as this model has changed very little since 2018...... and in this market, I'll likely get pretty much what I pay for the GC when I sell the Jeep

I'm leaning toward the diesel as it will give us a high mileage long haul vehicle when we're not on the road as we live a couple of hundred miles from the 3 major metros we need to visit from time to time.

I'm really hoping to hear from people with personal experience with the GC and seek any and all advice.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to share

Current Jeep shown for reference....Shown with 37's, since changed to 35's
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Left - 3.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	218.5 KB
ID:	328365   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front - Right.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	328366  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear - 1.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	328367   Click image for larger version

Name:	sInterior - Front.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	328368  

2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2021, 04:16 PM   #2

I may be looking for a similar toad in the future too. There are two different transmissions/transfer cases and only one can be flat towed. I'm not knowledgable which one works but you don't want to buy the wrong one or you're screwed.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 05:13 PM   #3

As long as you get the one that the transfer case can be putinto 1 low you should be good.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 09:35 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks guys!

I'm pretty clear on which GC I need which is those with the QuadratracII. This means that the SRT and Trackhawk are out as well as any of the 2WD versions.

The two I'm looking at are the Trailhawk which come standard with QuadratracII.......I'm really hoping to get comments from anyone who has any experience with the EcoDiesel Grand Cherokees, and or/Ram 1500 with that engine.

Cheers!
Old 05-16-2021, 02:59 PM   #5

The early diesel GC's had a couple issues but it has likely been addressed in the one you're looking at. For a while they actually stopped selling them, pulled unsold ones off the dealer lots, until the issue was resolved. It died have the advantage of burning diesel like your coach.

The hemi has always been a solid engine.

Have you driven both? Personally, I'd go with the Hemi. I don't prefer the diesel in the JL/JT either, so I am biased.
El Chapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 04:47 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chapo View Post
The early diesel GC's had a couple issues but it has likely been addressed in the one you're looking at. For a while they actually stopped selling them, pulled unsold ones off the dealer lots, until the issue was resolved. It died have the advantage of burning diesel like your coach.

The hemi has always been a solid engine.

Have you driven both? Personally, I'd go with the Hemi. I don't prefer the diesel in the JL/JT either, so I am biased.
Thank you!!

I have been doing a lot of reading about the 3.0 EcoDiesel (2nd generation) and it looks like for our purposes (low miles annually and lots of shot hops) the Hemi will be a more reliable choice.

I'm still going to go for the almost 6 additional years Mopar Maximum Care warranty with all the technology on-board as well as the air suspension, I'm sure it will pay for itself over the course of 6 years

Thanks, everyone for your input.....It is very much appreciated!
Old 05-17-2021, 09:57 AM   #7

We have a 2015 Grand Cherokee diesel with 60,000 miles. We have had no problems except occasional recalls and one bad exhaust sensor. The sensor was under warranty, I believe the problem was caused by 20% biodiesel.

He have towed a small enclosed trailer and have plenty of power. I was sleeping and my wife was driving, I awoke to find her passing a semi on a two lane road at 85 mph with the trailer I asked her to slow down with the trailer.

The reason we bought the diesel is the power for passing and the mileage is great.

We have done milder offroading, nothing to serious we have a Rubicon for that.

The Quadra-Lift system has worked for us to get up small ledges, etc.
Weeds636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 10:01 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have '21 Rubicon Unlimited diesel. I am very impressed with this engine, 22-24 mpg in town and close to 30 on the highway with lots of power.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee