Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2019, 01:36 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Which is the Best quality Tow Dolly

I am looking to obtain a tow dolly with Hyd. Surge brakes and tow my 2012 Acadia behind class C rv.

I would like info. on brand name and model of what is thought to be the best one or two Dolly makes and models.

thank you
Jerryd13
jerryd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2019, 02:02 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Most recognize the Demco Kar Kaddy SS as the best dolly available. They are pricey, even used.
https://www.demco-products.com/rv-to...ies/karkaddyss

We have owned two Master Tow dollies. One with electric brakes and one with hydraulic surge brakes. They are aprox half the price of the Kar Kaddy SS. The Master Tow has built in ramps and turns as the tow vehicle turns. Regardless of manufacturer, make sure you get the 80" wide version instead of the 77".
https://www.mastertow.com/towdollies

The first time we loaded a car probably took an hour, but today it takes about 10 min. You are not supposed to back up with any of these dollys, but in a pinch i have backed up a few feet.
Also a thought on brakes. IF you have a tow vehicle that is wired for trailer brakes, I'd get the electric brake version. This gives you control on braking using the trailer brake controller next to the driver. The surge brake cannot be controlled/modulated by the driver. We were driving into Death Valley and the surge brake kept applying everytime I tapped the Jake brake and the dolly brakes overheated. With electric brakes I could have dialed them back.

A new dolly will come with a set of inexpensive nylon tie down straps. These will stretch a lot the first couple of times. There are better tie downs available on Amazon.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 02:52 PM   #3

We also have a Mastertow and also recommend the 80" version. Ours has electric brakes as well. It doesn't take us long to load either. I've added some traction material to the ramps to aid loading when wet. And I've added a tongue jack with a wheel to make it easier to move by hand.

Our dolly came with the shorter straps that were too short for our RAV-4; they worked, but I wasn't satisfied. So the dealer replaced them for free with the adjustable straps at the bottom of this page. They're very heavy and didn't stretch much at all.

Service after the sale has been good. We blew a tire a few weeks back which removed one entire fender. I ordered and had a replacement in hand in just a few days.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:32 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I've always flat-towed so can't comment on the tow dolly!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 04:40 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Another vote for the Kar Kaddy SS. I've towed up and down the east coast and loved it. You just need to make sure that your vehicle will fit. Not all vehicles can get up the ramps. Get the user manual. They tell you how to measure.
DznyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 01:41 PM   #6

Jerry, we just got back from a 5k+ mile trip out west and our Master Tow dolly with surge brakes performed great. No issues with overheating dolly brakes while descending very steep mountain passes in Utah, Arizona and 11,000' Monarch Pass in Colorado. I made a practice of touching the dolly hubs every time we stopped and they were never more than slightly warm.

Our toad is a 3300# Taurus, much lighter than an Acadia. We've put about 20k miles on our 2016 dolly with zero issues. Original tires still look almost new.
StephenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 01:50 PM   #7

I run a Stehl Tow dolly. A clone of a MasterTow and it has LED lights, disk surge brakes and 14" tires.

Probably 40,000 miles on it with original tires. I replaced the $11.00 brake pads but they still had some life in them.

Getting a little run down looking but still solid.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 05:46 PM   #8
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryd13 View Post
I am looking to obtain a tow dolly with Hyd. Surge brakes and tow my 2012 Acadia behind class C rv.
Per Motorhome Magazine's towing guide the 2012 Acadia can be flat towed.

https://images.goodsam.com/newmotorh...yGuide2012.pdf

I'm currently using a dolly and you haven't lived until you've had to lie underneath it in the rain and mud to install the safety chains and be next to it in the rain to install the wheel straps which will stretch when wet and need more frequent re-tightening.

Let's not forget that dollys are noticeably wider than the car itself and maybe the RV so you have to take more care on turns.

So yeah, , if I had a vehicle that could be flat towed my dolly would be for sale the same day.

That year Acadia also is pretty heavy per the guide, between 4,720 and and 4,925 pounds. Add in the weight of a dolly and you're coming up on 6,000 pounds. Can your Class C tow 6,000 pounds?

Ray
Old 10-14-2019, 06:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
I'm currently using a dolly and you haven't lived until you've had to lie underneath it in the rain and mud to install the safety chains

Ray
I move the dolly and car out of the mud before loading it up.

I use vinyl coated safety cables thru the wheels, instead of safety chains underneath, so I don't even have to kneel down.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, quality, tow, tow dolly