Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2009, 06:21 PM   #15
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
M&G airbrake system. Foolproof, installed it myself and takes about 5 seconds to hook up. Is proportional to the pressure applied to the coach brakes. No electronics to go bad. About as simple as it gets.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2009, 12:03 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Me, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stewart View Post
Brake Buddy:

1. Had a 10 year old one, if you ship it back, it's $495.00 delivered to your door for new one (cheap).

2. Can adjust sensitivity and only brake (if you want) in emergency situations.

3. You can tell if it's operating from the Coach with included transmitter.

4. Easy to install 1 minute each time (no charge) no vechile modification to toad or Coach.

5. Works on mutiple vehicles.

The only downside, it's not passive, you do have to put it in place each time.
Exactly so, Jim Stewart, me too, except for the ten years. Will take me a little longer.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:14 PM   #17

what driving/road conditions would dictate a preference for a "progressive" system ? Same question re a "full/maximum" system? Waterdog4315
Waterdog4315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:20 PM   #18

SMI's Air Force One. An air system that's fully proportional, fully meets all federal standards (others in a breakaway leave an open air line in the rear when you stop the coach), nothing to store, install and remove and nothing seen in the toad. I had a Blue Ox Apollo (like Brake Buddy) that failed 4 times, the last on our way to Alaska. I installed the AF1 in a park in Valdez in less than a day. When we traded coaches in Tucson, I swapped out the brake system in the dealer's lot in a few hours. We've pulled over 70,000 miles with it, and I wouldn't hesitate to get another.

John
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:40 PM   #19

I guess I have the Blue Ox Patriot. I just bought it at my last rally and they installed it for me. It's a very self explanitory system and so far it's working great for me. I know I've seen on other forums where other Patriot users are having problems getting it set, but there is always human error to account for much of this. Just a simple thing as having a memory seat can put things off for any brake, JMO.
lucky leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stewart View Post
Brake Buddy:

1. Had a 10 year old one, if you ship it back, it's $495.00 delivered to your door for new one (cheap).

2. Can adjust sensitivity and only brake (if you want) in emergency situations.

3. You can tell if it's operating from the Coach with included transmitter.

4. Easy to install 1 minute each time (no charge) no vechile modification to toad or Coach.

5. Works on mutiple vehicles.

The only downside, it's not passive, you do have to put it in place each time.
You can add us to the list of satisfied Brake Buddy users. We have the Vantage Select with proportional braking.

Our coach does not have air brakes, so air-operated systems were not an option. We have found that the issues identified by other posters (need to install each time, storage, etc) are not issues for us. Now that we're used to the system, it goes in in only a minute or two - no hassle at all.
FireFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:09 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Ready Brute

I'm surprised that no one mentioned the system that follows. It is the least invasive system because it doesn't connect to the brake or vacuum lines. It is the only one that fits the requirements in the manual for my 2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 4dr. Ready Brute. Joe

RV Tow bars with Integrated ReadyBrake Surge Brake, Standard TowBars - Night Shift Auto
Old 07-15-2010, 05:09 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
US Gear
Old 07-15-2010, 06:04 PM   #23

If you have a gas powered MH, I would recommend the SMI-Stay-N-Play-Duo.

As mentionend before all that's needed is a flick of a switch and you're ready to tow.

The package comes with an installation disc, which is easy to follow.

Henry.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:28 PM   #24

My choice was the US-Gear Unified Brake Declelarator.

Porportional, Progressive and full driver control of the towed vehicle as previously stated. Perhaps more costly to install but it's so unobtrusive once in place that you'll never notice it. No box to move around. Just hook up the tow bar and electrical cable and you're on your way. No in the car finagling.

It also keeps your car battery charged from the coach since it is electrically operated.
TurtleBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:53 PM   #25

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Another vote for SMI Air Force One with break away system. Just did a write up on it under product evaluation.

Regards.. Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:51 AM   #26

I enjoy my D-Brake Professional Tow Brake. Reasons: 1) Noninvasive and not a permanent system 2) Uses an electric actuator instead of air cylinder (Drains battery much slower and is not an on or off system) 3) Uses an accelerometer instead of a pendulum, which was used in my old brake buddy 4) Wireless RF (Can change gain settings and apply trailer brake from the coach. Also lets you know of any errors and when the brake is active)